Quantcast

America as two countries… literally?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You keep our dirty laundry out of this!

I've watched Truckee go from old railroad town starting to redefine itself to full blown gentrified, overpriced, overcrowded hell that thinks building slave quarter shit box apartments is 'affordable single family housing'. All while 60% of the houses sit empty when the snow is bad, or non three day weekends as either unrented airbnbs or just some family with a trust fund's unchosen option that weekend.

It's funny they cage massively overpriced houses as 'the rental market'. It's overpriced housing. Median hit 1mil recently, most local jobs paying a median of 60k.

That's like 4th national piece I've seen on truckee in the past few days. The other 3 were using horrendously outdated home prices to tell whitey that now's the time to move there. I hate what this place has become. Vail. That's what it's become.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

I've watched Truckee go from old railroad town starting to redefine itself to full blown gentrified, overpriced, overcrowded hell that thinks building slave quarter shit box apartments is 'affordable single family housing'. All while 60% of the houses sit empty when the snow is bad, or non three day weekends as either unrented airbnbs or just some family with a trust fund's unchosen option that weekend.

It's funny they cage massively overpriced houses as 'the rental market'. It's overpriced housing. Median hit 1mil recently, most local jobs paying a median of 60k.

That's like 4th national piece I've seen on truckee in the past few days. The other 3 were using horrendously outdated home prices to tell whitey that now's the time to move there. I hate what this place has become. Vail. That's what it's become.
if snow didn't matter, i'd suggest boone. proximity to (east coast) mtns, and decent moto stuff nearby too. brevard is already too crowded.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Snow matters.

I do really like that area. At least what I remember that area being. I'm sure it's become a trust fund whitey crack house just like every other mountain town. I looked at house prices in Asheville not too long ago and it certainly looks like it.

California is in a self made pickle. The forest service has been sued and bullied so much by the sierra club ilk that the vast majority of this mountain range is wilderness. So that means no more building out of anything, bike trails, parking lots, much less anything more substantial like a dirt road. So what exists (basically like a dozen communties are just getting horribly over used by tech bros and hollywood hoes with more money than sense.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Snow matters.

I do really like that area. At least what I remember that area being. I'm sure it's become a trust fund whitey crack house just like every other mountain town. I looked at house prices in Asheville not too long ago and it certainly looks like it.

California is in a self made pickle. The forest service has been sued and bullied so much by the sierra club ilk that the vast majority of this mountain range is wilderness. So that means no more building out of anything, bike trails, parking lots, much less anything more substantial like a dirt road. So what exists (basically like a dozen communties are just getting horribly over used by tech bros and hollywood hoes with more money than sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

That is why they need to build multiple golf courses around ski hills, to keep things busy year round. Same people, different season.

Also outlet malls.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have come to hate skiing, because of skiers. (Boarders implied)
Same here.

I haven't had a pass in 5 years. But I ski (and snowboard you racist) all the time.

What's hilarious is the pass situation (cheap passes, basically two companies owning the entire world of skiing) has created people that travel more because their passes are good at other mountains across the country. The crowding has made an entire new generation of "I'm a backcountry skier now!" So the access trailheads are way overcrowded, they start parking in the few places where you stage a snowmobile from, and then bitch about the snowmobiles.

With covid restrictions in place this winter, a good percentage of those idiots are now looking around for sleds, after spending the last two years trying to get sleds kicked out. White people suck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Same here.

I haven't had a pass in 5 years. But I ski (and snowboard you racist) all the time.

What's hilarious is the pass situation (cheap passes, basically two companies owning the entire world of skiing) has created people that travel more because their passes are good at other mountains across the country. The crowding has made an entire new generation of "I'm a backcountry skier now!" So the access trailheads are way overcrowded, they start parking in the few places where you stage a snowmobile from, and then bitch about the snowmobiles.

With covid restrictions in place this winter, a good percentage of those idiots are now looking around for sleds, after spending the last two years trying to get sleds kicked out. White people suck.

do you still have the cow sled?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Same here.

Last time I tried skiing it took 3 hours to get out of the parking lot because people driving rental Chargers and 2wd trucks with mud tires kept getting stuck in the lot. Your basic economy car with winter tires had no problems.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Same here.

Oh, wait. FUCK. :rant:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We just get there earlier in the morning to ride our fat-bikes to the glaciers and on the crust, it not only pisses off the snowmachiners, but the skiers too.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My go-to ski hill has no hotels, no spas, no shopping, chili dogs at 1̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶' 12,000' and one bar at the bottom, coincidently with chili dogs also. We need moar of these, less of Vail.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last time I tried skiing it took 3 hours to get out of the parking lot because people driving rental Chargers and 2wd trucks with mud tires kept getting stuck in the lot.
I try not to give HAB too hard of a time though.

JK: nah sold that one a while ago.

SS: you don't want to play that game with a californian. You have roads and trailheads between almost all of those. Notice how everything in the sierra is stacked back to back. The purple says 'park' but it's wilderness managed by the park service.

caW.JPG

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
SS: you don't want to play that game with a californian. You have roads and trailheads between almost all of those. Notice how everything in the sierra is stacked back to back. The purple says 'park' but it's wilderness managed by the park service.

View attachment 149568
Yeah - there's no doubt this "competition" would be a fool's errand.

However, it's an endless fight to keep this from happening here. The Hateful Old Hikers would love nothing better than to link *all* our Designated Wilderness into a single, above-treeline utopia. Fuckers. :mad:

Kinda want to go ride Cataract Ridge now... because I can. :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Most of the trails that we ride in the grandfather district are "illegal" - but there's 99% more people biking them than hiking them, and we do most of the maintenance too.

Asheville is horrible - I'd never tell anyone to move there. Brevard has gotten just as overcrowded.

Boone gets you 3500' up, so it's always cooler and less humid. It's only maybe 20K full time residents (doubled when college is in session), but it's close to 2 little lift served hills (Sugar and Beech) and closer to Snowshoe, etc., than most other places around. Easy access to good back country riding. There are a few decent breweries and it's pretty chill overall. Costs are certainly on the rise but still manageable and there's lots of open land to be had still.

Wait. No. Forget I said all that. It sucks around here. Please stay away. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most of the trails that we ride in the grandfather district are "illegal" - but there's 99% more people biking them than hiking them, and we do most of the maintenance too.

Asheville is horrible - I'd never tell anyone to move there. Brevard has gotten just as overcrowded.

Boone gets you 3500' up, so it's always cooler and less humid. It's only maybe 20K full time residents (doubled when college is in session), but it's close to 2 little lift served hills (Sugar and Beech) and closer to Snowshoe, etc., than most other places around. Easy access to good back country riding. There are a few decent breweries and it's pretty chill overall. Costs are certainly on the rise but still manageable and there's lots of open land to be had still.

if you're complaining about a population of 20-40k you'd HATE where i live.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah if there's one thing that sledders concern themselves with it's "what's the guy who can only ride the flats at 4mph doing?"

Why would that piss off a snowmobiler?
Because we got there earlier and took the parking spot.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Because we got there earlier and took the parking spot.
Not all but quite a few winter parking zones get the plowing (and construction improvements) funded through OHV gas taxes or snowmobile registration. They are specifically for sled parking, and are usually the only place you can park/use a snowmobile in the area. In that case I can see some annoyance it but I don't know how it's done up there.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I know the area. There's a good chance I've ridden beech and sugar in the winter almost as much as you have ;)

Hell snowshoe too. I used to do tweaker overnight drives from Ga tech and florida, and would occasionally drive south from MD to snowshoe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Probably best to wait until mid-July 2021 after yesterday ;)

I need to ride all of the CT sections after Monarch, so I'm game :D
I keep hoping some day to do a thru-bike of the CT.

And no - not a *bikepacking* thru-bike. A fucking civilized, supported thru-bike where I just ride the fucking trail without a bunch of retarded bags and hundreds of extra pounds on my bike.

Dammit. Work's making me cranky. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I keep hoping some day to do a thru-bike of the CT.

And no - not a *bikepacking* thru-bike. A fucking civilized, supported thru-bike where I just ride the fucking trail without a bunch of retarded bags and hundreds of extra pounds on my bike.

Dammit. Work's making me cranky. :D
We're slowly thru-biking spread across several years.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My go-to ski hill has no hotels, no spas, no shopping, chili dogs at 1̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶' 12,000' and one bar at the bottom, coincidently with chili dogs also. We need moar of these, less of Vail.
Loveland would be my preferred hill, but I can't get Wifey on board. She's a "resort town" skier, since she only skis for less than a half day then wanders. I've got her to "accept" Winter Park, but it's been a struggle. DEVO for Haley has anchored us there and will likely this year too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Loveland would be my preferred hill, but I can't get Wifey on board. She's a "resort town" skier, since she only skis for less than a half day then wanders. I've got her to "accept" Winter Park, but it's been a struggle. DEVO for Haley has anchored us there and will likely this year too.
But Loveland sucks. And is cold. And windy. And has no vertical. And is on I-70. It's lose-lose-lose.

:D

ETA: But it does have chili-dogs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado