Quantcast

America, fat AND dumb.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Not that that is news.
It's a pretty safe bet that not many people will mourn the demise of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's food pyramid — the 20-year-old symbol of the department's dietary guidelines — when it's officially retired Thursday.

Just about everyone agrees the pyramid was complicated,

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/06/02/136884100/new-symbol-for-healthful-eating-hello-plate-goodbye-pyramid?sc=fb&cc=fp
:twitch:

Why didn't we just go ahead and replace it with this? Were half way there, might as well cut out the middle man and get it over with.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jesus.

another if only americans were more like me thread.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm different, just drunk and stupid.

Heard a interesting bit on the radio that talked about how Nixon was to blame for 'Mericans being fat, can't find the details. Basically after signing a grain deal with the Soviets food prices started rising sharply. To fight this he created policies and subsidies to make farms bigger and more efficient and to get them to plant vast quantities of corn and soy, the cheapest source of calories for people and livestock.

Last edited:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Interesting story from this weekend. So yesterday we went to the neighborhood pool for a few hours with the family. Our 6 year old is really coming into his own swimming so he was testing his courage on the diving boards while I hovered around the deep end giving encouragement. This kid in line for the diving board in front of Noah is about 10-12 years old, and pushing easily 200 pounds. He doesn't wait for the kid that just jumped in to clear the area and he's loud and obnoxious. He jumps off the diving board about 5 or 6 times, each time taking longer and longer to get out of the way to swim over to the ladder. All the while I'm coaching Noah to wait his turn and be paitent. The last jump by this kid he comes up for air and just treads water. His mom tells him to get out of the way and he says he can't, that he's too tired and he can't swim. WTF!!! He started to fake that he was drowning and screaming help. I lost it, and told him to suck it up and swim to the side, I wasn't about to put those poor teenage lifeguards through having to haul his lazy ass out of the pool. His fat mother was not amused.......

Oh and as a side not, more than half of the women there were morbidly obeese, and all of the proudly wearing bikini's and strutting around like they were Megan Fox.......:eek:

I just don't get it..........

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Interesting story from this weekend. So yesterday we went to the neighborhood pool for a few hours with the family. Our 6 year old is really coming into his own swimming so he was testing his courage on the diving boards while I hovered around the deep end giving encouragement. This kid in line for the diving board in front of Noah is about 10-12 years old, and pushing easily 200 pounds. He doesn't wait for the kid that just jumped in to clear the area and he's loud and obnoxious. He jumps off the diving board about 5 or 6 times, each time taking longer and longer to get out of the way to swim over to the ladder. All the while I'm coaching Noah to wait his turn and be paitent. The last jump by this kid he comes up for air and just treads water. His mom tells him to get out of the way and he says he can't, that he's too tired and he can't swim. WTF!!! He started to fake that he was drowning and screaming help. I lost it, and told him to suck it up and swim to the side, I wasn't about to put those poor teenage lifeguards through having to haul his lazy ass out of the pool. His fat mother was not amused.......

Oh and as a side not, more than half of the women there were morbidly obeese, and all of the proudly wearing bikini's and strutting around like they were Megan Fox.......:eek:

I think a lot of it comes down to the lack of personal responsibility these days. People either deny that they are fat or blame it on being big boned or genetics, not their personal habits. A former co-worker of mine was the same size I was 15 years ago. 150 pounds later he denies that he is fat, claims the BMI charts are wrong. When I pressed him about the situation he blamed getting older, injuries, being big boned etc. He refused to admit his weight had anything to do with his diet or lack of exercise. His wife was the same way, I can only guess that admission of reality would also implicate his wife and cause some serious marital issues.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Law of averages possibly? The more people who are morbidly obese, the more comfortable they become with being so in public. I remember going to the pool as a kid and everyone was skinny. The 'fat' kids then (ca. mid-1980's) looked like the average kids now.

My favorite comment to hear from overweight people is "you're too skinny, you need to eat more". I hear obese women tell fit young women that too often but I just don't get it. Obviously it's an unconscious self-defense mechanism by the overweight individual to make themselves feel better, but still.

I've heard that from people recently, and I know that I'm 40# overweight and tell them such. I feel disgusting being as heavy as I am to the extent that I am working out twice a day now. I just don't understand how you can let yourself go so much to get morbidly obese.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Law of averages possibly? The more people who are morbidly obese, the more comfortable they become with being so in public. I remember going to the pool as a kid and everyone was skinny. The 'fat' kids then (ca. mid-1980's) looked like the average kids now.
The wife and I were discussing the events at the pool yesterday last night and I mentioned the same thing. When I grew up and was at the neighborhood pool (late 70's to mid 80's) I don't remember nearly as many overweight folks.

I'm all with ignoring arbitrary cultural "norms" (you HAVE to be this shape to be considered attractive by society), but please, these folks are just plain FAT.

My favorite comment to hear from overweight people is "you're too skinny, you need to eat more". I hear obese women tell fit young women that too often but I just don't get it.
All of our kids are active and no where near being fat, but our middle girl is really tall and thin. I hear people tell her all the time (all of them overweight mind you) that she needs to eat..........makes me so mad.

I just don't understand how you can let yourself go so much to get morbidly obese.
Me neither.............

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Everyone is beautiful on the inside
Even Casey Anthony?

I am all for open ridicule of fat people. I know your joking, but that attitude taken seriously is part of the problem. You are not a beautiful, special, unique individual. You are a disgusting fatass and you need to quit eating sh*t. Society needs to quit codling these people and put the screws to them. Obesity and its related problems are killing this country, and its both preventable and curable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All of our kids are active and no where near being fat, but our middle girl is really tall and thin. I hear people tell her all the time (all of them overweight mind you) that she needs to eat..........makes me so mad.
next time agree with them, and then ask for some of their food, because they obviously have more than they need. :D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

Yup - went to a BBQ at a friend's apartment complex Saturday. We were all hanging around the pool - most of the women there were morbidly obese and just letting it all hang out, not a care in the world. I don't get it either.

I often get the "you don't eat enough" comment, even though I'm not that skinny.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My daughter got in trouble at school for enjoying her cookie before she finished her sandwich. My daughter told the lunch lady that she didn't want to feel too full to enjoy her cookie.

I informed the lunch lady that my daughter is very fit and a good eater. She ate plenty of lunch before having her cookie and I didn't appreciate her making my daughter feel like she needs to finish her lunch before her cookie.

Of all the fat kids in the cafeteria, she chose to call out my daughter and cause issues. The last thing I need is some lunch lady giving my daughter grief when she is healthy, fit, and in control of her intake levels.

Not my fault other peoples kids are less disciplined.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The average American is 17 lbs over weight.
A pound of fat stores about 3500 calories
307 million americans
3500 calories = 4 Kw hours
1 gallon of gas = 33.4 Kw hours

Americans have stored up the equivalent of 218 Trillion gallons of gasoline on their asses.

Take that Middle East!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If that's the best that the Republicans can do, you guys are in *big* trouble in 2012.

"OMFG, he's eating a hot dog!!!!! :panic:"
really? that's what you took away from my post?

some things are just funny they way the are, with no agenda to "position" someone

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The average American is 17 lbs over weight.
A pound of fat stores about 3500 calories
307 million americans
3500 calories = 4 Kw hours
1 gallon of gas = 33.4 Kw hours

Americans have stored up the equivalent of 218 Trillion gallons of gasoline on their asses.

Take that Middle East!
tonight, we make soap.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
tonight, we make soap.
The salt balance has to be just right, so the best fat for making soap comes from humans.

really? that's what you took away from my post?

some things are just funny they way the are, with no agenda to "position" someone
You have to cut Dante some slack, you have to admit that your people have certainly tried to create controversy from things dumber than that. :think:

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I rode 6 flat miles to meet my friend's at a bar. All of them, even the ones who ride, said I was crazy and wanted to give me a ride home because "its so far".

Once again - flat. Bike lanes. Straight shot.

Yeah it takes a bit of work, but its not that hard to get SOME activity in during the day.