Quantcast

American Cheese

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
So I work in a dining hall and we use this american cheese. We talk about this all the time. I swear that stuff is some sort of supercheese, or processed edible rubber. One time some got left on a shelf for a few months and it never grew mold, it only wilted. Anyone else think this stuff is odd? And for some reason they use it in schools...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thing American cheese is basically a very mild cheddar. But what you have there is gubment cheese.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Man, you 'mericans shur do like your bland cheese. In some 'restaurants' you literally can't order anything without some sort of cheese on it. And then it's like "What sort of cheese do you want? Cheddar, American, Jack," etc. etc. but it doesn't matter what you choose, because it all tastes the same, it's just a slightly different colour! I had to start going to really expensive places to get away from it! Gotham Bar and Grill every evening gets a little pricey!

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Most/all American cheeses are nasty. Something about all the additives and growth hormones in the milk that make it, I guess...

Give me a nice Canadian cheddar or marble, or Havarti anyday.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Changleen said:
Man, you 'mericans shur do like your bland cheese. In some 'restaurants' you literally can't order anything without some sort of cheese on it. And then it's like "What sort of cheese do you want? Cheddar, American, Jack," etc. etc. but it doesn't matter what you choose, because it all tastes the same, it's just a slightly different colour! I had to start going to really expensive places to get away from it! Gotham Bar and Grill every evening gets a little pricey!
Yeah. I don't understand why people put up with such $hitty cheese here....... :think:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I am a fan of pepperjack myself.

I cook with cheese (american/jack/cheddar) lots where I work and I can't tell the difference

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:

lol, so true...
it tastes like rubberized butter...

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I like boursan cheese on burgers, mmm... Now thats a good cheese. Sharp cheddars like Cabot Hunter Sharp are good too. A slice of cheddar with a piece of fresh pepper from the garden back home, mmm.... I never get anything like that in the dining hall here at college...

American cheese just ain't right.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The last time I had Velveta, (and I mean last time as in never again) I was crapping yellow for a couple of days. :dead:

But yeah for the most part American cheese sucks, and by "American cheese" I mean cheese in America. Since raw milk is so taboo with the USDA, we miss out on alot of tastey cheeses.

Luckily I live near a store with a good cheese selection, but Tilamook's Vintage White Cheddar is a staple for me.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Tenchiro said:
Since raw milk is so taboo with the USDA, we miss out on alot of tastey cheeses.
Where I work we carry over 15 different kinds of raw cheese...it's about the only thing I miss in my quest to be Vegan...D

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
American cheese = oily goo

Give me sharp cheddar, or parmesan, or Red Dragon!.

Anything but American (but that is true on so many levels for me...)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Denny said:
American cheese = oily goo

Give me sharp cheddar, or parmesan, or Red Dragon!.

Anything but American (but that is true on so many levels for me...)
Good sharp cheddar puts a smile on my face. Now when you combine the synergies of good cheddar and a quality mustard, heaven.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Fortunately here we have a grocery chain called "Wegmans" which has an awesome international cheese section. I mean that section of the store is bigger than some stores. It rocks. You haven't lived until you've been in a Wegmans.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Echo said:
Fortunately here we have a grocery chain called "Wegmans" which has an awesome international cheese section. I mean that section of the store is bigger than some stores. It rocks. You haven't lived until you've been in a Wegmans.
And the food court isn't bad either.

The only thing that bugs me about the cheese section of wegmans is they are a little on the high side in terms of price.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
robdamanii said:
The only thing that bugs me about the cheese section of wegmans is they are a little on the high side in terms of price.
Yeah but dude, you're buying the exact same cheese you can buy in Switzerland or Italy or wherever. I'm sure it ain't cheap for them to get that stuff on the shelf.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
Yeah but dude, you're buying the exact same cheese you can buy in Switzerland or Italy or wherever. I'm sure it ain't cheap for them to get that stuff on the shelf.
may not be totally true; did FDA/USDA block the importation of raw milk cheese to the US?

i've been on a big cambozola kick lately:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
may not be totally true; did FDA/USDA block the importation of raw milk cheese to the US?
Not that I know of. Probably half the people on the plane on my way home from Europe were bringing cheese with them.

Tenchiro said:
The last time I had Velveta, (and I mean last time as in never again) I was crapping yellow for a couple of days. :dead:

But yeah for the most part American cheese sucks, and by "American cheese" I mean cheese in America. Since raw milk is so taboo with the USDA, we miss out on alot of tastey cheeses.

Luckily I live near a store with a good cheese selection, but Tilamook's Vintage White Cheddar is a staple for me.
Well, there was the time in Pusan, ROK, when I was very stoned and got the munchies. All I had was a pressurized can of Velveeta and a bag of marshmallows - I discovered that I could inflate the marshmallows with the "cheese" and decided that it tastred just like peanut butter, finished the whole mess off... The follies of a misspent youth... :blah: :dead:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
Not that I know of. Probably half the people on the plane on my way home from Europe were bringing cheese with them.
stinky fuselage?

not all cheese is raw-milk cheese, though. not sure which is which.

i do miss not being able to walk to Sheridan's Cheesemongers.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Does anybody realize that calcium can not be absorbed via the body from cheese and or milk?

Oh and the cheese your referring to is not cheese. Same as the chemical laden milk you drink.

PURE SH*T.

Go Organic. Doesn't cost much more and your body will thank you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Knuckleslammer said:
Does anybody realize that calcium can not be absorbed via the body from cheese and or milk?
Of course, that is why mothers feed their babies breastmilk, clamshells and chalk dust.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Echo said:
Wegmans is the best place ever! I'm sad that I don't live near one anymore.

In terms of cheese, I think the worst are those overprocessed Kraft singles. They make deli American look like a delicacy. As far as I'm concerned, give me sharp chedder on just about anything and I'll be smiling all day.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
zahgurim said:
Most/all American cheeses are nasty. Something about all the additives and growth hormones in the milk that make it, I guess...

Give me a nice Canadian cheddar or marble, or Havarti anyday.
american bread is pretty much the same...pumped full of preservatives and emulsifiers and god knows what. i really wish i had a good bakery nearby.

the irish women i worked w/ lived in the US for a while, and they were astounded/bewildered by the fact that US bread wouldn't grow mold unless it sat for weeks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
american bread is pretty much the same...pumped full of preservatives and emulsifiers and god knows what. i really wish i had a good bakery nearby.

the irish women i worked w/ lived in the US for a while, and they were astounded/bewildered by the fact that US bread wouldn't grow mold unless it sat for weeks.
Oh man, that's for sure. The bread in Europe, especially France and Italy, is amazing. Bread here in the US is sad. Most people will never realize what they are missing...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Echo said:
That's true. Although Wegman's in general is somewhat more expensive than, say, Tops. But you pay for convenience.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one best of the lunches ever was the simple baguette/ham/robluchon/tomato sandwich i'd get from the bakery across the street from where i stayed in Morzine. throw it in my camelbak, rip some of the best DH trails in the french/swiss alps, and take a break overlooking mt blanc, chowing down the luscious treat.

that's living.

:thumb: