Quantcast

American Cheese

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
one best of the lunches ever was the simple baguette/ham/robluchon/tomato sandwich i'd get from the bakery across the street from where i stayed in Morzine. throw it in my camelbak, rip some of the best DH trails in the french/swiss alps, and take a break overlooking mt blanc, chowing down the luscious treat.

that's living.

:thumb:
That sound you just heard was my heart breaking. :(

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
one best of the lunches ever was the simple baguette/ham/robluchon/tomato sandwich i'd get from the bakery across the street from where i stayed in Morzine. throw it in my camelbak, rip some of the best DH trails in the french/swiss alps, and take a break overlooking mt blanc, chowing down the luscious treat.

that's living.

:thumb:
I'm inspired. I'll be eating a tepid pickle-loaf on Wonderbread, while riding the lift @ Jiminy next summer. :monkey:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Does anyone remember the ESPN commercial a couple of years ago after the Canadians won gold in hockey?

A canadian player is sitting in the ESPN lunch room eating a grill cheese sandwich and the ESPN dude comes up and asks him what kind of cheese is on the sandwich.

"American Cheese"

"That's right AMERICAN CHEESE! AMERICAN CHEESE!" and staring at him all hard.

Good stuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeesh, what's wrong with you people? American cheese is great on burgers, in toasted cheese sandwiches, ham & cheese, you name it. I prefer the white american.

But it's like anything else, it's gotta be decent quality. Some of you have mentioned parmesan and other cheeses that can also be horrible chemical crap if you get the wrong stuff.

And Narlus, that sounds awesome but I would happy with Oscar Meyer and Kraft on that ride!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, if organic = "having carbon atoms in the molecular structure", I think Rob's definition is safe.

the chemical tag "organic" has been hijacked by the food industry.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
dwaugh said:
So I work in a dining hall and we use this american cheese. We talk about this all the time. I swear that stuff is some sort of supercheese, or processed edible rubber. One time some got left on a shelf for a few months and it never grew mold, it only wilted. Anyone else think this stuff is odd? And for some reason they use it in schools...
american cheese is cheese that is sent back to the cheese company because it was expired. the chees company recieves it puts it through the processor, adds orange die, stamps on a new expiration date, and sends it back to the same place.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
face said:
american cheese is cheese that is sent back to the cheese company because it was expired. the chees company recieves it puts it through the processor, adds orange die, stamps on a new expiration date, and sends it back to the same place.
I would laugh at this if it were a joke, but it sounds so true and goes along with everything I've always thought about this cheese. Mmmmm, re-processed cheese. :help:

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
where the heck are do y'all live that you can't find decent american cheese? there's plenty of it, although you'll have to look beyond the yellow stuff that says 'American Cheese Product' on it.

sheesh.

Tenchiro said:
But yeah for the most part American cheese sucks, and by "American cheese" I mean cheese in America. Since raw milk is so taboo with the USDA, we miss out on alot of tastey cheeses.

Luckily I live near a store with a good cheese selection, but Tilamook's Vintage White Cheddar is a staple for me.
unless I'm misreading that, you're bashing American cheese but enjoying Tilamook?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
face said:
sounds a little "conspiracy theory" there don't you think?

Meh, all you blue cheese lovers are eating moldy cheese too, just without the dye. :eviltongu

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I can't stand that kraft stuff. I like everything else: gouda, farm gouda, aged gouda, black mountain, catswald, havarti, pepperjack, blue cheeses, peper gouda,
red dragon, truffle (forgot which kind, maybe gouda), swiss, provavlone, dill (something) . Iv'e had a lot more, but i can't remeber them.

In beverly hills, there is a really good wine/cheese shop.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's such a pity you have to go to such lenghts to get good cheese since y'all love it so much...

Maybe I should start a Kapiti Cheese import business to RM members. No price gouging I promise! :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm a recent "good cheese convert" - I love the stuff. Can't eat enough cheese, the funkier the more better. Thanks for listening.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
What you are talking about is also referred to as "Cheese Food". It is scary though. I never trust the yellow stuff.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
well, if organic = "having carbon atoms in the molecular structure", I think Rob's definition is safe.

the chemical tag "organic" has been hijacked by the food industry.
Yep, Organic means that it cost $3 more and tastes like $hit.
Even more so with cereal.
Organic = cardboard.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Organic means the crops have bugs in them as opposed to standard which has chemicals. The Organic has a little more protein :) . I would rather have that than chemicals.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Echo said:
Totally incorrect. But you go ahead and eat your chemicals, trust the government to decide what's safe for you to eat :thumb:

WER F'N D

Right on brutha. Ok, you folks do yourself a favor. Next time you buy a healthy choice dinner, look at the ingredients :thumb:

Healthy ha?

The problem with food in the US, is that everything in a box is DEAD. Like it or not. For the body to properly function, you need enzymes, and minerals and nutrients.

If I buy a box of crackers, I expect to see the following.
Wheat, flour, salt.

I do not need 5000 ingredients in my crackers. WTF?

Here's what I've done and I notice a 90% difference in my energy levels.

Buy Organically grown vegtables. Not from Shaws or a supermarket, but from a local Earthy Crunchy Washed up store that has hippies working in it.

Buy free range unprocessed eggs.

Buy REAL SALT. Contrary to popular belief, salt is not white. I'm not going to go into detail of how they make it white.

Here's an awesome recipe that will give you tons of energy.

Scrambled eggs with organic spinach on top, with organic cottage cheese on top of that. Cyanne pepper atop that and some REAL salt on top.

This is a damn good meal. And what I've noticed is after eating stuff like this, I'm not hungry for hours.

Try Organic milk for a week. Then go back to the chemical laden regular milk. You'll barf your brains out.

Buy REAL BUTTER. Not the CRAP that the store sells.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER. Well guess what IDIOT, it's not.

WTF?

I can't believe people are such gullable fools. They'll believe anything that is said on tv and consider it the almighty gospel. The truth is in the ingredients. WAKE THE **** UP.

Knuckle

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Knuckleslammer said:
WER F'N D

I can't believe people are such gullable fools. They'll believe anything that is said on tv and consider it the almighty gospel. The truth is in the ingredients. WAKE THE **** UP.

Knuckle
And you believing everything you read in a hippy magazine makes you better? Calm down spaz. If people want to eat something, does it kick you in the nuts? No.

Live and let be. Jeezus. :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So how come it's cool for you to bash people who prefer organically grown foods ("it's got bugs near it while it's growing"), but it's not cool for us to point out that the "vegetables" that you eat are sprayed with toxic chemicals? Do you think washing a tomato makes that sh!t go away?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Echo said:
So how come it's cool for you to bash people who prefer organically grown foods ("it's got bugs near it while it's growing"), but it's not cool for us to point out that the "vegetables" that you eat are sprayed with toxic chemicals? Do you think washing a tomato makes that sh!t go away?
Dude, chill. All I'm saying is what you said to me. Chill out and the point will be taken better, or am I wrong?

I don't care what you eat, but why tell people they're morons for NOT eating organically if it works for them?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Echo said:
Totally incorrect. But you go ahead and eat your chemicals, trust the government to decide what's safe for you to eat :thumb:
Ummm...... I hate to break it to you, but the "organic" label doesn't actually guarantee you anything.

And if you're relying on the USDA to guarantee the "organicness" - well, that's a gummint agency last time I looked.

There ain't no easy answers.

Everything in moderation. Even pesticides. :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
SkaredShtles said:
Ummm...... I hate to break it to you, but the "organic" label doesn't actually guarantee you anything.

And if you're relying on the USDA to guarantee the "organicness" - well, that's a gummint agency last time I looked.

There ain't no easy answers.

Everything in moderation. Even pesticides. :D
Well you do need to be a little more diligent than just reading labels. But for one thing, word gets around quick among hippies. If someone is claiming to be "organic" or "all natural" and it's found out they aren't, it's gonna get around. The rest of the crap on the shelves though, well it's just accepted that it's full of toxic chemicals. You go ahead take your chances with the stuff that's KNOWN to be toxic, and I'll take my chances with the stuff that has people at least trying to do it better.

It's funny how much you hear people worrying about every little part that goes on their bike, but they don't worry about what they put in their mouths.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
What do you guys think that organic farmers use to keep the bugs away? Pyrethrum.

Just because chemicals are "naturally" derived doesn't make them any better or worse thatn synthetic chemicals.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Tenchiro said:
What do you guys think that organic farmers use to keep the bugs away? Pyrethrum.

Just because chemicals are "naturally" derived doesn't make them any better or worse thatn synthetic chemicals.
Pyrethrum is not toxic to humans. The worst thing that it does is makes some people sneeze. Did you have a point?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
Pyrethrum is not toxic to humans. The worst thing that it does is makes some people sneeze. Did you have a point?
The point is that "organic" farmers use just as many chemicals, if not more than normal farmers use.

The EPA has declared it a carcinogen though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Tenchiro said:
The point is that "organic" farmers use just as many chemicals, if not more than normal farmers use.
It seems you might have some knowledge about this, and I'd be interested in hearing it. So far you have named one pesticide which is not toxic to humans.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
It seems you might have some knowledge about this, and I'd be interested in hearing it. So far you have named one pesticide which is not toxic to humans.
All I am saying is that organic crops are no better or worse than non-organic ones. There is no evidence to the contrary. Organic crops are grown the same way as everything else and that includes the use of pesticides. The fact is all pesticides, organic or not either break down in the enviroment or are simply washed away before the food ever hits the store shelves.

Organic foods are more about politics than they are about health.

EDIT - I would say Biotech crops are better overall because in alot of cases they are engineered to be poisonous to their natural pests and therefor require the use of less or no pesticides.