Quantcast

American Chopper

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I watching it right now.....

Honestly I can't help but marvel at their sheet metal work. And now that Jr and Sr. are separated....I find it quite watchable. They are just building ****. Call it a guilty pleasure. But what they do isn't easy. I can't help but respect that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I watching it right now.....

Honestly I can't help but marvel at their sheet metal work. And now that Jr and Sr. are separated....I find it quite watchable. They are just building ****. Call it a guilty pleasure. But what they do isn't easy. I can't help but respect that.
The same can be said for cupcake wars, or cake boss. I'm sure you watch that, too. Having some dude on a cad machine make some ugly render before they send the plans off to someone who will actually make the frame is not building a bike. They do assemble it, I guess. Don't get me started on the geometry of their bikes. :rofl:

If there is anything they should use that cad machine for, it's figuring rake and trail.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I thought "bike builder" meant you actually fabricated the frame along with everything that is not a mechanical part. And their fabrication skills are average at best.

To be fair though, watching them does make me want to build stuff larger that the palm of my hand. One day...

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Well I don't care what anyone says....the sheet metal work is good. And maybe my perspective is different because I'm more of a "production run" guy, rather than custom. But the end result is nice.

And they do it all in an hour!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want to see one of their bikes in the hands of a hard core rider type...see how long it lasts.
So you are saying that sweet jetfighter bike they built hasn't done a road trip? :panic:

I'm always surprised when they show them on a test ride. I keep waiting for parts to fall off since everything is tack welded.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have seen it...and it was trailered in. I give them props for being supportive of the military...but the bikes dont seem like long term collectors or hard core riders items.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
WTH, I thought they weld the rest of the seams together and just tack for fitment, they really just spot weld s**t on like that?

Just when you thought the respect meter was already bottomed out... :rolleyes:

I would honestly be surprised based on what i have seen. when they had Mikey welding A SET OF BARS, I turned away.

I know when I want to teach someone how to weld, I usually start them on something that requires structural integrity so they pay attention to detail. Just makes for a better lesson, IMO. No harder lesson than when your bars bust off as you are going down the road.

Besides, when you have such well thought out rake/trail, who needs bars to steer, anyway? :rofl:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
I would honestly be surprised based on what i have seen. when they had Mikey welding A SET OF BARS, I turned away.

I know when I want to teach someone how to weld, I usually start them on something that requires structural integrity so they pay attention to detail. Just makes for a better lesson, IMO. No harder lesson than when your bars bust off as you are going down the road.

Besides, when you have such well thought out rake/trail, who needs bars to steer, anyway? :rofl:
i dont know if you noticed but they never show them turning on the show