Quantcast

American Craft Beer Fest (Boston)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
June 19-20. Approx 75 breweries pouring 300+ beers. :monkeydance:

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer

Me and MtnBikerChk are going to the Saturday early session. Mr and Mrs BadDNA are volunteering.

I can't wait! Mmmmm....brewery t-shirts......

So I figure the 2oz pours and 300 different beers comes to about 50 bottles of beer over the 3.5 hour session. I can do it! :cheers:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It's a fun time. Went last year with the GF and my folks. No way in hell you'll be able to try all the beers, and you can get really sauced pretty easily.

For the most part its a younger crowd getting drunk but it's all good. What myself and father found was great was that some of the smaller micro's that were there were willing to spend the time to talk brew talk with you which was real helpful. We're actually going to kick off the full grain ~ 10 gallon basement brewery next weekend assuming the 2 temperature controls and pump come in before then.

Have fun! I'm thinking I'll make it out to the Friday night session.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's a fun time. Went last year with the GF and my folks. No way in hell you'll be able to try all the beers, and you can get really sauced pretty easily.
I hear that it's pretty crowded but the lines for beer are minimal. Is that true?

(edit: I kid about trying every beer)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I hear that it's pretty crowded but the lines for beer are minimal. Is that true?
It is very crowded. Last year I went to the Friday night session (I think) and for as many beer lovers and beer snobs, there were probably 10 times as many younger people just having a good time just like at Harpoonfest.

Lines aren't very long at all except at the larger well known micros like your dogfish heads and harpoons where you might have to wait 3-5 minutes.

Oh, and word of the wise. Make sure you use the bathrooms for #1 duties only. They will get super gross.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Lines aren't very long at all except at the larger well known micros like your dogfish heads and harpoons where you might have to wait 3-5 minutes.
Now my thinking is that is can have those beers anytime. I'm going for the stuff that is hard to get around here, or the stuff that is expensive (like Allagash).

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Now my thinking is that is can have those beers anytime. I'm going for the stuff that is hard to get around here, or the stuff that is expensive (like Allagash).
I'm looking forward to it as well. The beer list looks really promising this year compared to last. It appears that there are alot more micro-breweries delving into the craft brews which is great. Only downer is that now I'll be three sheets after the 1st hour an won't be able to appreciate some of the beers later on :busted:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Last time I went to a Beer Fest....afterwards I fell off my bed while jumping on it & also ruined IPA's by getting way to blasted on hop bombs. I also think I stole a bunch of bottle openers & glassware. :dead:

I can behave myself better at wine tastings for some reason.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm looking forward to it as well. The beer list looks really promising this year compared to last. It appears that there are alot more micro-breweries delving into the craft brews which is great. Only downer is that now I'll be three sheets after the 1st hour an won't be able to appreciate some of the beers later on :busted:
I've already told the wife that I want to attend the Extreme Beer Fest in February. I have not been to that one either. That's when the breweries break out all their unusal stuff.

A friend that's coming with us booked us the penthouse apartment that her company owns near Faneuil Hall (free!!).

:banana:

$40 is a bit steeper than i was expecting.
That's why I stock up on all the free handouts I can get my hands on (stickers, coasters, bottle openers, etc).

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Last time I went to a Beer Fest....afterwards I fell off my bed while jumping on it & also ruined IPA's by getting way to blasted on hop bombs. I also think I stole a bunch of bottle openers & glassware. :dead:

I can behave myself better at wine tastings for some reason.
When my buds and I go to beer fests, the festival portion is merely a 4 hour pre-funk for a pub crawl that usually lasts around 8 hours...

It gets bad at about hour 10...by hour 12 either the cops have been called to our location, I have no pants on, someone is trying to pick up the heffer at the end of the bar, or all 3...

That said, there's a microbrew fest coming up this weekend 5 minutes from my house. w00t. Let the good times roll.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
You'll find me working around the Gritty McDuff's, Rouge and Oskar Blues booths. From the main entrance, it's the right hand side of the second island of booths.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Going to Sunset Bar and Grill tonight to pick up tickets with no fees and to grab some drinks.... oh yea, and food too. YUM!!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I demand a beer and food report tomorrow. I hear that place is awesome.
Will do (Lord knows I have the free time since I'm on going on week 4 of my furlough).

For the price it is pretty good and the servings are more than adequate. However I go for because of the amount of sweet nectar they have flowing from everywhere. The atmosphere is pretty quality too. I mean The Smiths playing on the radio and a Billiards place adjacent with most of the beers available at the Sunset is ok by me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had many delicious 2-3oz samples of different beers. I scored four free bottle openers, a stack of coasters, and I bought two t-shirts (Stone Ruination and an event tee).

Holy hell was it packed.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I had many delicious 2-3oz samples of different beers. I scored four free bottle openers, a stack of coasters, and I bought two t-shirts (Stone Ruination and an event tee).

Holy hell was it packed.
Me and an old college friend attended yesterday- I overheard a few of the event staff throwing around the # 5,000 for attendence? Not sure if thats possible- but it was freakin PACKED!

Anyone try the watermellon wheat beer? yucky....

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Had a blast Friday night, much like last year. Can't wait for next years ACBF!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
did you guys stay in town or head back to CT?

i would have liked to have gone, but we had a cookout @ my sister in law's.
We stayed in Boston for the night.

Me and an old college friend attended yesterday- I overheard a few of the event staff throwing around the # 5,000 for attendence? Not sure if thats possible- but it was freakin PACKED!

Anyone try the watermellon wheat beer? yucky....
I usually steer clear of the fruity beers.

Our group got in line at noon and were about the 20th people in. The first 30 minutes was great without any lines.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Silly question.

Our penthouse room.

and its view.

and the frikkin sweet beer that it came stocked with.

the entrance to Wonderland.

The line to get in, 40 minutes before doors opened.

We got in early.

This isn't even indicative of how crowded it was.

Yours truly.