Quantcast

America's 10 Best Trails...repost?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeremy R said:
Sold bikes, now waiting on the bike industry to get me parts.
That always works out swell.:mumble:
Bikeless is my hell. To prevent that I have one nice bike and 3 nice backups. I even keep a large stockpile of sorta worn out parts in case I become unemployed. I may have to beg for food but I'll never become bikeless.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've ridden 3 (mckenzie, dville, p-rim). all were good to great fun.

still, if i had to pick my favorite trail rides, i would absolutely have to include right fork of bunker creek (brian head), hall/pinkerton-flagstaff/dutch creek (durango) and winsor (santa fe) in that list.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I thought it was great, it owned me though.

riding up it had no flow (yeah it owned me too), plus I didnt feel comfortable about making so may hikers stop as we biked by, the DH was fun (but i was even more concerned about hikers) but tame compared to say Plattekill (which I have biked up)....the views were great, if I was close I'd definitely hike it........but the damn bikers making me keep stopping might bug me :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
riding up it had no flow (yeah it owned me too), plus I didnt feel comfortable about making so may hikers stop as we biked by, the DH was fun (but i was even more concerned about hikers) but tame compared to say Plattekill (which I have biked up)....the views were great, if I was close I'd definitely hike it........but the damn bikers making me keep stopping might bug me :rolleyes:

That is the problem on any popular multi use trails.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
That is the problem on any popular multi use trails.

I guess I'm lucky then........that was the most hikers I ever encountered during a ride, heck that might have been more than I encountered all of last year

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
I guess I'm lucky then........that was the most hikers I ever encountered during a ride, heck that might have been more than I encountered all of last year
I rarely see them out in the mountains but run into a bunch of dog walkers at a local park. Seeing as though 99% of them break the leash law I don't feel bad about not giving them right of way. I do my best to give hikers right of way and am as nice as posible about it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've ridden that Letchworth trail many times and it's definitely fun. I don't wanna take anything away from the guys who put in HUGE efforts getting that trail opened to bikes and maintaining it.

But Letchworth isn't even close to being the best trail I've ridden. Kingdom blows it away, Fantasy Island blows it away, hell the ride T-Dog and ghostrider took me on in Thousand Oaks was better IMO.

But like I said, it is a good trail, and if you're in the area you should check it out. Actually I think it's closer to Rochester than Buffalo but who would expect a magazine to know what the hell they are talking about.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
In response to Douglas and Westy....

National Trail is usually not fun the first time you ride it. It usually grows on you and becomes one of your favorite trails. I've ridden it hundreds of times and I still think it's great. And actually, there weren't that many hikers on the trail that day as there could have been. It's a really popular place. As for the DH, it used to be pretty tech but it's gotten pretty worn in in the last 10 years. Now most of the 'nasty' stuff is off the front face of the mountain. We didn't go over there as we were on the wrong kinds of bikes.

I've ridden 'three' from the list.
National (obviously)
Tsali (great on a single speed hardtail)
Porc. Rim (awesome)

If I had to add one, it would probably be Reno-Flag-Bear-Dead Man just outside of Crested Butte. Love that ride.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
peter6061 said:
In response to Douglas and Westy....

National Trail is usually not fun the first time you ride it. It usually grows on you and becomes one of your favorite trails. I've ridden it hundreds of times and I still think it's great. And actually, there weren't that many hikers on the trail that day as there could have been. It's a really popular place. As for the DH, it used to be pretty tech but it's gotten pretty worn in in the last 10 years. Now most of the 'nasty' stuff is off the front face of the mountain. We didn't go over there as we were on the wrong kinds of bikes.
I guess its all about individual preferences.....as far as trails in AZ, I had so much more fun riding the OP course, fantasy Island and that other place we hit in Phoenix....

but My # 1 = Kingdom Trails

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd like to hit Kingdom trails. Problem is I have to plan it ahead and would be pissed if I got screwed by the weather.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I'd like to hit Kingdom trails. Problem is I have to plan it ahead and would be pissed if I got screwed by the weather.
some risks are worth it.....I'd like to take July (or August) off from work and stay up there for the whole month

peter6061 said:
I'll have to check that out at Monkeyfest if I can get up there this year.
SS Heaven!