Quantcast

An Afternoon with Zachdank

Liquid Fl0w$

Chimp
Jan 12, 2008
the spot is sick as are the photos and Zach what can i say hes soo inspirational for me building jumps and is the reason why i dont give up on building new secret trails.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
our trails get poached by this kids uncle all the time man, him and his friend XC up the trail and have even thrown out "yeah man, this looks amazing, cant wait to hit it." that **** gets annoying.
quality trails Zach.

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
This picture shows a lot of dedication and a eye for details. Keep up the good work!

Respect!

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
I'm with you on a lot of what you said...

I just find it contradictory that you complain about kids partying at the trails and causing the trails to get shut down, and you say you don't know "Where that comes from".

But I believe it is you in the Dusk Till Dirt teaser that is drinking a Blue Ribbon on your bike next to a set of dirt jumps.

I just thought I'd help you figure it out since you didn't know where they got it from. I thought it was obvious.

It might be a good time to start keeping a mental tabs on what you say and do so you don't look like a hypocrite.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But I believe it is you in the Dusk Till Dirt teaser that is drinking a Blue Ribbon on your bike next to a set of dirt jumps.

There's a difference between having a beer while riding bikes as the primary reason you're there and just going somewhere to ILLEGALLY drink as a high school kid and leave trash all over the place.

Thought I'd help you figure that out.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm with you on a lot of what you said...

I just find it contradictory that you complain about kids partying at the trails and causing the trails to get shut down, and you say you don't know "Where that comes from".

I just thought I'd help you figure it out since you didn't know where they got it from. I thought it was obvious.

It might be a good time to start keeping a mental tabs on what you say and do so you don't look like a hypocrite.
He's talking about something completely different than just having a few beers at the trails. He's talking about teenagers/young adults that just show up, drink, do drugs, and just hang around the jumps when they don't even ride. They usually leave the place trashed and draw unnecessary attention to the trails.

People like that were part of the reason Hidden got plowed. There were all kinds of crazies, homeless people, and tweekers that would hang out in the trees near the jumps. The riders did their best to keep the place clean and get them out of there. That's the case at most trail spots, the riders/diggers try to keep the place clean and respectable, even if they do have a few beers at the trails (which IMO, go hand in hand).

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Not too much better than flowin trails and drinking some beers!
Because for some reason it's cool as hell to ride trails and if ridin right
looks cool as hell, the locations tend to attract the local high school kids that don't even ride.

Note: Trail locations are not intended to attract local high schoolers that are not interested in riding.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
He's talking about something completely different than just having a few beers at the trails. He's talking about teenagers/young adults that just show up, drink, do drugs, and just hang around the jumps when they don't even ride. They usually leave the place trashed and draw unnecessary attention to the trails.

People like that were part of the reason Hidden got plowed. There were all kinds of crazies, homeless people, and tweekers that would hang out in the trees near the jumps. The riders did their best to keep the place clean and get them out of there. That's the case at most trail spots, the riders/diggers try to keep the place clean and respectable, even if they do have a few beers at the trails (which IMO, go hand in hand).
Aye, it's the way of things. Personally, I would rather see people refrain from drinking (or smoking, or other things) around any trails not on private land, since even if you are doing it responsibly, it sets a bad example, and usually leads to beer cans, etc. visible in the area. Considering how easily trails get shut down, doing everything in your power to prevent giving the bastards an excuse makes sense.
Even better, take it a step further and actively police the area of litter, set good examples, and encourage the bums and delinquents to find another place to hang out.... This can go a long ways towards actually keeping the jumps in place. If city or park officials see the jumps as a positive scene and reduces their need to pick up trash and police the area, they are far more likely to turn a blind eye to big piles of dirt. :clapping:

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
There's a difference between having a beer while riding bikes as the primary reason you're there and just going somewhere to ILLEGALLY drink as a high school kid and leave trash all over the place.

Thought I'd help you figure that out.

So you don't think those kids watch the BMX movies and follow suite?
Do you think kids understand that he's just having a nice cold brewskie after a day of work or do you think they see all the cool stuff going on AND beer?

Thats exactly the kind of footage they watch before they go do their illegal crap.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So you don't think those kids watch the BMX movies and follow suite?
Do you think kids understand that he's just having a nice cold brewskie after a day of work or do you think they see all the cool stuff going on AND beer?

Thats exactly the kind of footage they watch before they go do their illegal crap.
Maybe I'm at a bit of an advantage here knowing a bit more background.......but the spots zach was talking about were ruined because of people who weren't there to ride bikes in the first place. They don't ride bikes. They go to dirtjumps as an out of the way place to drink (and subsequently trash by leaving garbage around).

So.....no. I don't think a vid shot of a bike rider drinking a beer has any bearing whatsoever on what he was talking about. Because non bike riders don't see bike videos.

I understand your argument. But it just doesn't apply here.

But as a general sentiment, if you have a problem with your kids seeing an adult drinking, I'd be willing to bet there's probably a lot worse things you need to focus your attention on when it comes to TV or internet time :D

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007

It's the same story everywhere. You are right... which is why I ride street because everything you mentioned is unavoidable unless they are kept secret. Thats the only thing that works. sometimes.

I'm not naive to the reason as to why kids do this, or why the trail builders drink beer...

But if they see stuff like that in footage, they are going to go to it themselves - and no matter how much you try to justify it I'm right.

BTW: Drinking and riding bikes is still illegal in every state I've ever been in. It's still considered a moving violation and in Ohio that video could be used as evidence to charge him. The penalties for riding a bike are just as bad as driving a car in Ohio.

So - you can make whatever argument you want for illegal activities, etc... my only point is that groms learn by example.

Just saying.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BTW: Drinking and riding bikes is still illegal in every state I've ever been in. It's still considered a moving violation and in Ohio that video could be used as evidence to charge him. The penalties for riding a bike are just as bad as driving a car in Ohio.

So - you can make whatever argument you want for illegal activities, etc... my only point is that groms learn by example.
Most (more likely ALL) intoxication laws address bike riding on public passageways. Dirtjumps are about as far from a public bike lane as you can get.

So no. It's not illegal for a 21 year old to drink beer at dirjumps because it does not affect operation in a main thorofare utilized by other users.

Why don't you focus your attention on the drinking that goes on at ski resorts? It's a daily occurance that daddy has a liquid lunch with his college buddys and then gets on a crowded groomer with hundreds of others moving around at 30+ mph. Many of the others on the slopes being 60lb kids. What kind of example is that?

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Maybe I'm at a bit of an advantage here knowing a bit more background.......but the spots zach was talking about were ruined because of people who weren't there to ride bikes in the first place. They don't ride bikes. They go to dirtjumps as an out of the way place to drink (and subsequently trash by leaving garbage around).

So.....no. I don't think a vid shot of a bike rider drinking a beer has any bearing whatsoever on what he was talking about. Because non bike riders don't see bike videos.

I understand your argument. But it just doesn't apply here.

But as a general sentiment, if you have a problem with your kids seeing an adult drinking, I'd be willing to bet there's probably a lot worse things you need to focus your attention on when it comes to TV or internet time :D
Dirt jumps are always placed in areas that attract that kind of attention... *sigh* it seems to be a magnet for that crap.

We have a lot of crack heads and homeless that squat in and around our trails too... but they are usually attracted to the place by the copious amounts of illegal activities the bikers are already getting into. Typically the jumps are already illegal so it's kind of a 2 wrongs situation.

That and it's easy to make a quick buck selling alcohol to groms who are looking to drink it.

I see what you mean and I stand corrected. I just found it contradictory.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Most (more likely ALL) intoxication laws address bike riding on public passageways. Dirtjumps are about as far from a public bike lane as you can get.

So no. It's not illegal for a 21 year old to drink beer at dirjumps because it does not affect operation in a main thorofare utilized by other users.

Why don't you focus your attention on the drinking that goes on at ski resorts? It's a daily occurance that daddy has a liquid lunch with his college buddys and then gets on a crowded groomer with hundreds of others moving around at 30+ mph. Many of the others on the slopes being 60lb kids. What kind of example is that?
Around here 90% of the trails are within only a few feet of public access trails and bike paths, are are in recreation parks, etc. This puts almost every single one of our trails in the public domain.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Around here 90% of the trails are within only a few feet of public access trails and bike paths, are are in recreation parks, etc. This puts almost every single one of our trails in the public domain.
Okay so that's your situation. It isn't everyone's.

And I'd still argue that just because dirtjumps are NEAR a road, doesn't mean that drinking a beer between runs subjects you to open container laws. You see what I'm saying?

The 5 beers consumed on a golf course in the cart between holes doesn't constitute an illegal action just because it's NEAR a highway.

but they are usually attracted to the place by the copious amounts of illegal activities the bikers are already getting into.
All I can say about that is that you should find/start/build a spot with peeps who love the shovel more than they love whatever 'illegal activity' you're inferring. If it's just drinking beer while riding or digging, that's still far from illegal in my mind if we're talking about adults. And if you're so concerned with the letter of the law, you should tear down any illigally built dirjumps you find anyway.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Okay so that's your situation. It isn't everyone's.

And I'd still argue that just because dirtjumps are NEAR a road, doesn't mean that drinking a beer between runs subjects you to open container laws. You see what I'm saying?

The 5 beers consumed on a golf course in the cart between holes doesn't constitute an illegal action just because it's NEAR a highway.

All I can say about that is that you should find/start/build a spot with peeps who love the shovel more than they love whatever 'illegal activity' you're inferring. If it's just drinking beer while riding or digging, that's still far from illegal in my mind if we're talking about adults. And if you're so concerned with the letter of the law, you should tear down any illigally built dirjumps you find anyway.
Public consumption of alcohol is still illegal, and anywhere a ranger or park official can get to you, you can still be cited/arrested if caught.

Cops tend to ride bikes around here too. Anywhere inside city limits. and anywhere that has footpaths.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Public consumption of alcohol is still illegal, and anywhere a ranger or park official can get to you, you can still be cited/arrested if caught.

Cops tend to ride bikes around here too. Anywhere inside city limits. and anywhere that has footpaths.

I'm going to start popping every cute couple I see drinking a bottle of wine watching the sunset at parks.

I feel they're setting a poor example for my children.

And those guys fishing with the cooler nearby..... They're next.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
According to your logic, I was probably violating some sort of FAA regulation in this pic...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is just a side note... yes, this is true. BAC levels for a DUI on a bike and a car are the same in all states (I think there are a few states trying to change this actually). The difference is, its harder to actually get caught DUI on a bike than driving a car. Most police officers tend to focus on drunk drivers, because they are a greater danger to the general public.

Can you still hurt someone if you hit them while riding a bike intoxicated? Yes. Is it possible to kill someone under the same circumstances? Yes... is it probable? Not so much. Riding a bike drunk you are more of a danger to yourself than the public.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
F**k me, I had no idea the Pope's name was Strauss! I thought it was Ratzinger or something like that. Such pious rhetoric!

Drinking the casual beer after a hard day of digging is damn-near compulsory. It makes as much sense as touching yourself after you see a picture of Demi Moore nekkid.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
This is just a side note... yes, this is true. BAC levels for a DUI on a bike and a car are the same in all states (I think there are a few states trying to change this actually). The difference is, its harder to actually get caught DUI on a bike than driving a car. Most police officers tend to focus on drunk drivers, because they are a greater danger to the general public.

Can you still hurt someone if you hit them while riding a bike intoxicated? Yes. Is it possible to kill someone under the same circumstances? Yes... is it probable? Not so much. Riding a bike drunk you are more of a danger to yourself than the public.
Dude I know - but I'll never give a damn pig the benefit of the doubt. You'd think they would be more concerned with drivers, like you said but IMO most cops aren't out there actually catching the bad people from driving their cars drunk because they are waisting too much time writing me tickets for riding on a sidewalk.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
F**k me, I had no idea the Pope's name was Strauss! I thought it was Ratzinger or something like that. Such pious rhetoric!

Drinking the casual beer after a hard day of digging is damn-near compulsory. It makes as much sense as touching yourself after you see a picture of Demi Moore nekkid.

My point isn't to say that it's wrong to drink a beer. It's just wrong to contradict yourself.

Seriously. And as the pope I'd challenge you to actually read the thread.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Besides I don't even know why you guys keep trying to find different angels to defend it, lol.

Apparently I was wrong in where Zach was coming from when he said it. Fortunately I have a forum full of people to set it straight.

Most people don't and won't AND its still contradictory - you can try and refute that all you want and try to poke at it all you want - its still contradictory. I still have a point, and even those whom I've had this little e-debate with have acknowledged my point.

So - the rest of you, the trolls, read the thread and supply some other reason other than some stupid ass witty comment. Trust me I can match wits with the trolls all night long - and I will win.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dude I know - but I'll never give a damn pig the benefit of the doubt. You'd think they would be more concerned with drivers, like you said but IMO most cops aren't out there actually catching the bad people from driving their cars drunk because they are waisting too much time writing me tickets for riding on a sidewalk.
yea there's always a conflict of priorities. On a random flipside to your story, when I was in college we were out for our weekly street ride (downtown rochester), and we actually helped the police chase down a robber, and got a picture in the newspaper and sh*t.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
So - the rest of you, the trolls, read the thread and supply some other reason other than some stupid ass witty comment. Trust me I can match wits with the trolls all night long - and I will win.
What do you win? Is there a prize? I want one.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
nowadays, that doesn't make much sense at all :huh:
What do you mean?!? She's not hot anymore? Crap, I guess I'll just have to remember her the way she was.

Strauss dude - lighten up. It's just the internet. If you don't like arguing on the internet, turn off the computer!

Zach - Spom-diggity just told me about your trails at the house. Bummin', that place looked fun. When I get my spot up and runnin', you got to come out and shred it.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
What do you mean?!? She's not hot anymore? Crap, I guess I'll just have to remember her the way she was.

Strauss dude - lighten up. It's just the internet. If you don't like arguing on the internet, turn off the computer!

Zach - Spom-diggity just told me about your trails at the house. Bummin', that place looked fun. When I get my spot up and runnin', you got to come out and shred it.
Fo sho bro. Count on it. Seriously, i'll be there.