Quantcast

An Afternoon with Zachdank

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
OK, here goes:

1) ZD, props on the trails. Lots of digging=kick-azz-trails and those pics prove it.

2) Bikers having a beer at the trails is OK as long as they pack their empties out. I'm tired of doing it for them. Heck, that goes for any trash including water bottles, gatorade, MickeyD bags, chinese food that you had your mom deliver to you, etc...

3) I can always spot trouble coming into the trails and 99% of the time it's the kids/teens/adults who aren't riding a bike (tweakers, gangsters, paintballer's, etc...). Gotta' keep an eye on them and your gear 'else it'll get taken or trashed.

4) If someone wants to ride our trails a few times, doesn't mess stuff up or at least fixes what they do mess up (rarely). No problems.

5) If someone wants to ride our trails all the time and not offer to help or lend a hand digging is total f'king B.S. Even if they're not messing stuff up it's additional wear and tear on the trails and we have spend time maintaining it instead of adding on--azzholes.

6) Jump poachers suk.

True diggers will understand all of the above.

There, I feel better.

P.S. AC/DC Highway to Hell before a session is always good.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Agreed with WaveDude.

Helping out a little bit goes a long way. Jumps can be made for groms, but they damn well better pick up a shovel and help. If you roll over my lip, I will get angry.

I love to dig, so whenever someone mentions riding some 'new djs' or anything, I always offer up to help dig before anything else.

Also, Zach awesome digging as always. I wish I had that kind of dirt to work with.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I cant dirt jump for ****. But I can dig like a mad man. Does that get me an invite to just work and drool when the good guys are jumping.

Country is the only way to roll when jumping... or trying to jump in my case.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I don't know how it got to it but music at the trails? I like it nice and quiet - just freewheels and tire buzzing as well as no beers at my spot but that's because it's more due to necessity than anything else.

But...... if you are going to play tunes at the trails... nothing is better than an old box tuned to the classic rock station. If you don't believe me watch Little Devil's Seek & Destroy and the section w/ Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper - then the Hendrix/All Along the Watchtower section w/ Stauffer. If that doesn't get you all amped on trails - something is seriously wrong.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6076955271173334688

O yeah, beware the Badluck section - not sure what that will make you want to do - maybe dig non-stop for 10 hours or rob a bank.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
He's talking about something completely different than just having a few beers at the trails. He's talking about teenagers/young adults that just show up, drink, do drugs, and just hang around the jumps when they don't even ride. They usually leave the place trashed and draw unnecessary attention to the trails.

People like that were part of the reason Hidden got plowed. There were all kinds of crazies, homeless people, and tweekers that would hang out in the trees near the jumps. The riders did their best to keep the place clean and get them out of there. That's the case at most trail spots, the riders/diggers try to keep the place clean and respectable, even if they do have a few beers at the trails (which IMO, go hand in hand).
exactly. each time i come to my trails i try to have a garbage back with me, just because i know theres gonna be some amount of unclaimed trash there... and really for all the work the other shredders and i put into maintaining the jumps, spending 4 minutes at the end of the day to pick up unwanted trash not only helps keep the place under the radar, but also keeps our morale up that we've still got control of the spot

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
yo gangstarr is still the jam. ever hear of Dilated Peoples? they're one of my all time favs.
Any true fan of hip hop would have to know who Dilated Peoples are.

Gangstarr has mad flow - I still wonder how his style has survived the 90's evolution from hip hop to rap.... He never lost it and it never gets old.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
exactly. each time i come to my trails i try to have a garbage back with me, just because i know theres gonna be some amount of unclaimed trash there... and really for all the work the other shredders and i put into maintaining the jumps, spending 4 minutes at the end of the day to pick up unwanted trash not only helps keep the place under the radar, but also keeps our morale up that we've still got control of the spot
We have a set of trails built under a freeway overpass near a river. I was going there and picking up trash for like 2 weekends until I realized half the trash was coming from people throwing stuff over the overpass. Now I just ride and take out what I take in... but its like a loosing battle. A couple guys set up make shift trash bins and stuff but they got removed by whomever owns the land (my guess is the city). I guess they want it dirty back there.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Any true fan of hip hop would have to know who Dilated Peoples are.

Gangstarr has mad flow - I still wonder how his style has survived the 90's evolution from hip hop to rap.... He never lost it and it never gets old.
Any true fan of hip hop would also know that Gang Starr is not a he and is a them... as in Guru and DJ Premiere.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Any true fan of hip hop would also know that Gang Starr is not a he and is a them... as in Guru and DJ Premiere.
I dont know man...... Gangstarr, i would say Guru is lately all over the place with his lyrics, almost a let down.... but Primo is ALWAYS consistent with the beats.....

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I dont know man...... Gangstarr, i would say Guru is lately all over the place with his lyrics, almost a let down.... but Primo is ALWAYS consistent with the beats.....
I agree with that. Primo is definitely the best part of Gang Starr, that's why they shouldn't be referred to as "him" (I assume he was talking about Guru because he mentioned his "mad flow"). They don't make producers like they used to... Primo, Pete Rock, RZA, Large Professor all did it proper. Some newer cats have some of that soul, like RJD2 and 9th Wonder.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with that. Primo is definitely the best part of Gang Starr, that's why they shouldn't be referred to as "him" (I assume he was talking about Guru because he mentioned his "mad flow"). They don't make producers like they used to... Primo, Pete Rock, RZA, Large Professor all did it proper. Some newer cats have some of that soul, like RJD2 and 9th Wonder.
Hi Tek too.... also have to add Dilla to the mix. RIP.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Hi Tek too.... also have to add Dilla to the mix. RIP.
Tru dat. I forgot about Madlib, too. He is one of my favs. His little brother Oh No is pretty talented, as well.

Alright, we should probably stop with the thread derailage. Zach wasn't really feeling the hip hop I was playing on our road trip a few weeks back... he's a rocker through and through. So, I put in some Rage so he could rock out while getting his film on. Speaking of the film... what's up with the 2nd installment from FDTD, Z?

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Tru dat. I forgot about Madlib, too. He is one of my favs. His little brother Oh No is pretty talented, as well.

Alright, we should probably stop with the thread derailage. Zach wasn't really feeling the hip hop I was playing on our road trip a few weeks back... he's a rocker through and through. So, I put in some Rage so he could rock out while getting his film on. Speaking of the film... what's up with the 2nd installment from FDTD, Z?
Got derailed on the editing process because we got the perfect amount of rain to repair all our trails that were ruined from the winter. We have been working for a week straight on the trails.
I am editing right now though, and should be done by tonight.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Dude I know that. I implied he as in Guru. I *think* I have every Gangstarr song and album ever dropped and I've gone as far as to start seeking out other artists the group worked with.

You should check out Group Home. Youtube the song "The Legacy". Guru is in on that.

I also follow Premier's stuff - you should check out Group Homes album called Livin' Proof because Premier did the instrumentals for just about the entire album.

I like Group Home's stuff a lot. They are underrated.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007

You listen to any of the def junxt stuff?

OH and I did like the rock throwback in the audio of the Dirt till Dusk teaser. It's fitting.

Will each rider get their own music or is that up to the editor ;)

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
i listen to alot of stuff. my ipod has the most interesting collection of music. Currently I have been listening to more rap over the usual rock. I usually try to find a couple new artists every couple weeks. Recently I have fallen for Madlibs Beat Konducta series and anything J Dilla. I usually just shuffle my HipHop/ Rap collection and it plays artists like these:
-Brother Ali
-Cormega
-Talib Kweli
- J Dilla
-Jean Grae
-Nujabes
-Visionaires
-Biz Markie
- We Stain Porcelain
-Immortal Technique
-Masta Ace
-A Tribe Called Quest
-Atmosphere
-The Coup

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yo so get this. I was riding w/ a buddy from work yesterday. Apparently he is good friends w/ DJ babu. He used to be a promoter here in soCal and knows a ton of DJ's. He showed me pictures from a show he put on for Jay-Z before Jay-Z was a huge celebrity and was still playing small clubs.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
yo so get this. I was riding w/ a buddy from work yesterday. Apparently he is good friends w/ DJ babu. He used to be a promoter here in soCal and knows a ton of DJ's. He showed me pictures from a show he put on for Jay-Z before Jay-Z was a huge celebrity and was still playing small clubs.
If he doesn't know us, then he doesn't know the DJs (wait, are you talking DJs as in dirt jumps, or disc jockeys???). Unless he is waaaay south.