Quantcast

An apology and an explanation.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Since I have been working in a bike shop again and am back on the bike I have been running into old faces and new ones more and more. :thumb:

I want to apologize if I have a conversation with one of you and can?t seem to recall your name or maybe even a place we have met before even though you are familiar. It has noting to do with you and an impact or lack of as an acquaintance or a friend in my life.

Many years ago before I moved to Washington I had a accident that has impaired my memory somewhat. I;ve done a good job at hiding it over the years.I remember things in a non linier time frame and retain odd things that most people will not and lose things most people find simple to remember. So if you meet me and tell me your name and 10 minutes later I can?t repeat it don?t be upset. If I can?t remember if you are married or single have or don?t have kids but know what headset and chain rings you have on your bike just take it as it is.

Thanks
Jody

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm actually worried about the same problem!! I stopped racing DH in 2004 because of a really bad accident, which included some bad skull bruising. I have some permenant memories loss issues now because of it. I raced in Oregon for 6 years prior to this accident, and when your one of very few female DH racers, everybody knows you so it's hard enough to remember everyone you meet at the races with a fully functional brain.

Well, I'm going to my first race this weekend (a super d, still no DH) since my accident and I'm mortified that I am not going to remember people's names or remember them at all. I'm sure people will understand if I simply explain, but 1) it's still kinda embarrassing, and 2) I really don't want people to make a big deal out of the whole situation.

Thanks for posting this Jody. It definitely reminds me that I'm not the only one!

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
DH Diva said:
Thanks for posting this Jody. It definitely reminds me that I'm not the only one!
I sort of felt like I was the only one in the world with issues myself. Sometimes people get mad and just don't get it. It's not like most people where you need to hear a name a few times. I have issues remember people, event, timeline order of event, etc.. where I spent many hours, sometimes weeks or months around someone. Sometimes something sticks right away. Sometimes I can try really hard and a person or event will fade.
I carry a palm now and make lots of notes and read my notes and date book to try and help. People think it's sort of funny when I say I can't find my brain(palm) but it's not really a joke. It is my memory.
The hardest part is when you are trying to relate to someone in a conversation with a story and the next time you repeat the story you get the year, age, $ amount, names or what ever off. I sometimes realize later that I told it wrong and fear they will think I?m making stuff up. It?s hell when your dating. It?s like you have to look for other people with the same issues to go out so you maybe have a girlfriend and hope she remembers you or you remember her.
50 first dates became my favorite movie when it came out.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
This is not meant to be poking fun at either one of you.....but damn, I have memory problems and I have not had any head injuries!!! If my life depended on remembering people's names who I had just met, I would be dead by now!!

Don't ever worry too much about what other people think of you....what really matters is that you are happy with what you see in the mirror!

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
riverside73 said:
This is not meant to be poking fun at either one of you.....but damn, I have memory problems and I have not had any head injuries!!! If my life depended on remembering people's names who I had just met, I would be dead by now!!

Don't ever worry too much about what other people think of you....what really matters is that you are happy with what you see in the mirror!
That's not the only issue. I can have someone I have spent tons of time with. So it's hard when someone you haven't seen in say a year but you used to spend allot of time with comes up and will say "Remember that ride we went on right after my wedding where you were the best man and my wife had a baby." Well I may not remember his name, the ride, wedding, or that he has a kid but the face is familiar. And the guy beside him may have bought a pair of brake pads five years ago and I remember every detail or the day.
That?s a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift. Names are the least of it.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
jodysbike said:
I sort of felt like I was the only one in the world with issues myself. Sometimes people get mad and just don't get it. It's not like most people where you need to hear a name a few times. I have issues remember people, event, timeline order of event, etc.. where I spent many hours, sometimes weeks or months around someone. Sometimes something sticks right away. Sometimes I can try really hard and a person or event will fade.
I carry a palm now and make lots of notes and read my notes and date book to try and help. People think it's sort of funny when I say I can't find my brain(palm) but it's not really a joke. It is my memory.
The hardest part is when you are trying to relate to someone in a conversation with a story and the next time you repeat the story you get the year, age, $ amount, names or what ever off. I sometimes realize later that I told it wrong and fear they will think I?m making stuff up. It?s hell when your dating. It?s like you have to look for other people with the same issues to go out so you maybe have a girlfriend and hope she remembers you or you remember her.
50 first dates became my favorite movie when it came out.
Well, luckily I don't have to worry about the dating thing because I've been with my boyfriend for almost 8 years (we were together before my accident), but there are days when I feel really really sorry for him. I can ask him a question, have a discussion with him about the answer to said question, and then 5 minutes later I will ask him the same question and have no recollection that I we had ever talked about it! It's not like that all the time, but it does happen pretty often.

My memory loss is very similar in some ways. Some things are just gone, mainly from the time around the accident, but also random things from all throughout my life. I have the most problems with short term memory now. Someone will tell me something and I can't remember it 5 minutes later. Remembering new people I meet is difficult. The palm idea is a good one. I should look into that, my work may even buy it for me as my memory loss does sometimes pose a problem.

It has gotten a little bit better. For a few months after my accident I started stuttering occasionally and forgetting words midsentence. That fortunately has gone completely away. Maybe over time my memory will start to improve too. Who knows with brains though, I don't even think the professionals have a really clear understanding of what goes on up there sometimes.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
Well, luckily I don't have to worry about the dating thing because I've been with my boyfriend for almost 8 years (we were together before my accident), but there are days when I feel really really sorry for him. I can ask him a question, have a discussion with him about the answer to said question, and then 5 minutes later I will ask him the same question and have no recollection that I we had ever talked about it! It's not like that all the time, but it does happen pretty often.
Hum, that sounds just like Kevin:wonky2: He remembers every car he ever owned (I think he's the triple digits now) but will ask me the same question 4 times in a 20 minute span. It's bad, but after a while I start acting like I can't hear him:sneaky:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Snacks said:
Hum, that sounds just like Kevin:wonky2: He remembers every car he ever owned (I think he's the triple digits now) but will ask me the same question 4 times in a 20 minute span. It's bad, but after a while I start acting like I can't hear him:sneaky:
Ah, Kevin who?:think: :think: Seriously I have been like this since about 13 when the back of my head got in a argument with concrete. The concrete won, I have a flat spot and some times no matter how hard I try I just cannot remember names. Very embarrassing sometimes, I am so very glad everyone has to wear badges at work. I ride with some people 3 - 4 times a month or more talk with them all the time and I have no idea what their name is. :o: Sometimes I feel so bad about it I feel ashamed. For the most part I have found most people to be pretty understanding about it when I tell them, still.......:( :evil:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
jodysbike said:
Since I have been working in a bike shop again and am back on the bike I have been running into old faces and new ones more and more. :thumb:

I want to apologize if I have a conversation with one of you and can?t seem to recall your name or maybe even a place we have met before even though you are familiar. It has noting to do with you and an impact or lack of as an acquaintance or a friend in my life.

Many years ago before I moved to Washington I had a accident that has impaired my memory somewhat. I;ve done a good job at hiding it over the years.I remember things in a non linier time frame and retain odd things that most people will not and lose things most people find simple to remember. So if you meet me and tell me your name and 10 minutes later I can?t repeat it don?t be upset. If I can?t remember if you are married or single have or don?t have kids but know what headset and chain rings you have on your bike just take it as it is.

Thanks
Jody
That describes me amazingly well... I don't know why I have a crappy memory, but I've hit my head many a time, and I remember the oddest things, but never what I need to. I know your pain.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yah... great to hear that you are riding again. I've just made an offer on property outside of Elma... about 18 miles from the forest. I'll be riding more with less commute. :thumb:

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Serial Midget said:
Yah... great to hear that you are riding again. I've just made an offer on property outside of Elma... about 18 miles from the forest. I'll be riding more with less commute. :thumb:
Good you can do work to the trails too! i know you can use a shovel!
:mumble: