Quantcast

An Extra Large Helmet

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
I'm having trouble finding just a regular half cut helmet, I had the LBS order both a large and XL protec, classic style, and the XL is still far too tight, the newer styles are the same. I was wondering if anyone may know of a brand that serves the Extra extra large head, my head is roughly 61cm around. I am not a fan of the helmets with the hard almost sti-ro-foam type of lining, i want it all soft padding, the classic style of pro tecs are a pretty good example of what i want.

So if anyone knows of a brand to look into or a website that has some helmets that may fit, please let me know
-Thanks

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
albes.com has the soft shell pro-tec helmets. I have a big head as well and its one of the few helmets that fits well. ride-this.com did have them.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
I also have a large head... but i fit into a medium bell pisspot.

All i did was put the thinnest pads inthere. I can also wear a large with the thicker pads...

so basically, did the XL helmet you try have a variety of pads to choose from? that could be the ticket...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You might have to go with Bell/Giro's offering for XL helmets. I believe one model is called the Atlas.

You might look like an escapee from the bike path, but I rather have a good fitting helmet than a concussion.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I too have a huge melon. I have to wear a xxl moto helmet for DH. And not just any XXL.. last time I had to drive around moto shops all day until I found one that fit me.

The giro semi-mx in XL fits. They don't make it anymore, but it is the same as one of the snow helmets. Also, some of the snow helmets go up to XXL. I'd say that's your best bet. They're the same thing. There was a thread on it a little while ago. Do a search.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Not exactly what your looking for but I have about a 62cm head and I have found the Bern Brentwood to be the most confortable helmet i've used. Extremely light, very good ventilation for a "skate" style helmet, and The are also multi-use helmet(water, bike, Snow). Check them out at www.bernunlimited.com

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've had the same problem buying lids over the years. Currently I'm using the Giro Flak in size L. It has the hard styrofoam which you don't like but I cannot find any other skate style lid that fits.

I also have a couple of Semi MX's that I use as backups or for XC rides. You can still find Semi MX's around - maybe eBay or some shops. I know a shop in VT (Irie Cycles) still has a few. Both models have good coverage, are pretty light and look descent.