Quantcast

An Idea to start with................Help!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I have not ridden my bike ALL spring..............:eek:!!!!!

I have gotten realy out of shape and decided to do 10 miles a day.

The first week just around the house, and then the following week some more technical stuff.............

To me it's a plan.......

Any ideas to add to this?

My diet is not bad, but I need to burn fat.....................

Help

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
sk - so many thoughts, so little time.....

first off, you have to burn more calories than you take in - but you have to take in enough to have energy to burn. sick cycle, isn't it?
and to quote a movie:

and then.................................?

Originally posted by sirknight6

and to quote a movie:

and then.................................?
if you seriously want to lose body fat, then you have to change your diet. if I were you, this is what I'd do......

1. figure out how many calories you should take in per day - there are internet calculators you can use to figure this out based on your age, current weight, desired weight, level of activity etc

2. decide how you want to split your calories - protein/carbs/fat - and whatever you decide, you may find you need to adjust those figures based on how you feel - ie if you are tired and lack energy, up the carbs and lower somethinge else

3. eat 5-6 small meals a day and eat equal amounts of protein (if possible) at each meal......

scared yet? it's a lot of work - but it works! oh yeah, and it's not just a DIET - it's a CHANGE OF LIFESTYLE.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

if you seriously want to lose body fat, then you have to change your diet. if I were you, this is what I'd do......

1. figure out how many calories you should take in per day - there are internet calculators you can use to figure this out based on your age, current weight, desired weight, level of activity etc

2. decide how you want to split your calories - protein/carbs/fat - and whatever you decide, you may find you need to adjust those figures based on how you feel - ie if you are tired and lack energy, up the carbs and lower somethinge else

3. eat 5-6 small meals a day and eat equal amounts of protein (if possible) at each meal......

scared yet? it's a lot of work - but it works! oh yeah, and it's not just a DIET - it's a CHANGE OF LIFESTYLE.
CHANGE OF LIFESTYLE? But Im happy as a hetero!!!!! LOL!!!!

Yes I believe this is true. I need to up my level of activity...........

2007.2 calories a day for lightly active......

2316 for moderatly active......

This is for me now..................... But I believe that the weight calculator was off a bit......

At 5'-8", I'm at my best at 180 lbs..........which right now make me 50 LBS over weight........

20 I can lose in a month if I start actually riding everyday..........the other 30 come off slower.

But I believe my diet is whats messing me up.....

Originally posted by sirknight6

..................... But I believe that the weight calculator was off a bit......
It's just a starting point. You have to try it and see what works for you.

20 I can lose in a month if I start actually riding everyday..........the other 30 come off slower.

20 in one month isn't really healthy. and after riding season, you will probably put it back on :(

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
That would be why I NEED to join the local YMCA.......

The Nice thing though is, when I do work out and take it seriously as I have in the past, I seem to get buff and cut real decent.....

It's keeping it that is the trick!!!

scottgo

Chimp
Jun 10, 2002
Boulder CO
I'm a newbie both to this forum and biking but I'm currently taking an exercise physiology course from a guy that works with elite Tour de France cyclists so I though I would pass on his weight loss recommendations. To begin with a realistic goal is to lose about a pound of fat a week. A pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 Calories. Once you accept that it will take a while your best bet is a balanced low fat diet containg between 500 to 1000 calories below your calculated daily requirment. The final step is to exercise as long and as hard as you can. The idea of long low intensity exercise burning more fat is a myth. It's true that at low intensities a higher percentage of calories come from fat but at higheri intensities you burn more total calories so it works out better. Last but not least stay far away from any of these crash diets, we've repeatedly discussed the flaws in the atkins diet in class.
Sorry this came out so long but I've been working on this stuff for the last couple weeks.
Scott