Quantcast

An improvement, no?

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
So, I have this house. I fix it up in order to improve property value.
Slowly but surly, as I am very very busy, but here is the first installment in the kitchen project in my apartment.
There was one counter in th kitchen. I realize now that I never took a picture of it before I took the old one out, but it was this gross formed piece of sheet metal. It had been painted a million times, and was covered with glue residue from the contact paper (wall paper) that was on it at one point. A pretty gross place to prepare your meal. I'd had about enough, so I went over to my machine shop and had a time.
Before (after removing the old surface)

After (304 stainless, 2A finish, heck yes!)

You can see the mounting boards as to where the next one will be placed. it's just a 10" deep shelf, but in this tiny kitchen all that space makes a huge difference. Theres another going in a different corner on the other end.

What do you think? I'm very pleased. I hardly ever work with sheet metal, so this was a fun experience.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Personaly I prefer it without counter tops as it is easier to see what's in the drawers. But if you have to have a "finished" looking kitchen, that is a damn fine looking one. Stainless back-splashess and reskining (or replacing) that refridgerator would be nice additions as well.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Looks good! My parent's did the same thing with their bed. Newlyweds buying cheap furniture, and found an ugly bed frame for cheap, stripped away the paint, and it turned out to be a beautiful frame underneath the layers.