Quantcast

An interesting encounter

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
RhinofromWA said:
When he put his hands on you.......

Isn't that assult....I mean he wasn't going to give you a hug. If you jsut got away and reported his ass, filed a report then you would be clean and he'd have assult charges on him and all the crap that goes along with it.

Selfdefense is another claim you can use but it it must not look excessive....

Just some random non-legal advice. He grabs ahold of me I am working hard to get him off me, but I am not going to chase him to the ground and keep hitting him. Just enough to get away. They report his ass again, and again, and again.
We had no clue who he was though. We sure as hell weren't gonna go to the police and tell them "A hiker with glasses and a gray t-shirt grabbed my handlebars." That wouldn't have been too helpful.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
dexterq20 said:
We had no clue who he was though. We sure as hell weren't gonna go to the police and tell them "A hiker with glasses and a gray t-shirt grabbed my handlebars." That wouldn't have been too helpful.
I don't know where you were....never been there but if they don't know some wigged ot trail nazi is attacking people they can't do anything....have a buddy "trial him" see where he lives or the car he drove. :D

Might as well cracked his skull and high tailed it out of there though then he could report some crazed MTBr's attacked him even if he didn't get your name or license plate number.

I am glad nothing to serious happened but the police can't address wat they don't know about.

Rhino

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have had the good fortune of not "So Far" (Crossing Fingers) Running across anyone like that. I think you guys handled it well and did what you should have done. As far as him putting his hands on you and your bike, I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else here and say that, at that point...If an Azz kickin needs to be handed out...so be it.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
You did the best thing. While beating his ass would have probably felt really good, you can bet he would have only gone to the police, saying he'd been jumped my some mountain bikers. For the most part, mtber's all ready have a bad enough image in the eyes of the gov/law enforcement.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
stoney98 said:
I can't stress enough that the local PD knows this guy's a nut. I'm friends with quite a few local cops, all of whom have experienced him in one way or another. They almost always side with us, at ;east locally
Where do you live Stoney? East Bay?

jack123

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
santa barbara
wow, this guy sounds like a total nut. you guys handled it good. a while back in sb the trail Nazi's got really mad, setting up trip wires and everything. some crazy stuff. whenever I see a hiker on the trail I always stop, and give them a basic hello, and have a good hike, and they usually leave it at that. once one tried to convince me tunnel trail was closed to bikes(its not...yet)he was a total SOB, and it took a long time to convince him what we were doing was legal. oh well.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
jack123 said:
wow, this guy sounds like a total nut. you guys handled it good. a while back in sb the trail Nazi's got really mad, setting up trip wires and everything. some crazy stuff. whenever I see a hiker on the trail I always stop, and give them a basic hello, and have a good hike, and they usually leave it at that. once one tried to convince me tunnel trail was closed to bikes(its not...yet)he was a total SOB, and it took a long time to convince him what we were doing was legal. oh well.
Santa Barbara is actually surprisingly mellow as far as the hiker-biker relations go. I've heard some gnarly stories of traps and stuff being set up on Tunnel, Cold Springs, and San Ysidro, but in my experience, the hikers have always been very friendly and relaxed.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Hey y'all, I was the first guy to encounter mister vandeham and I listened to his requests for us to return the same way we came and I replied that we would continue down the hill to our vehicle and be done with riding there. He then replied that that would not be enough of a compliance and put my front wheel in between his knees. I then explained to him that what he was doing was illegal and if he was thinking about laying hands on me he should know that that is assault and I would have to defend myself...I explained this to him twice before the other guys even showed up and he just sat there and stared at me, so i waited to see if the fact i had two friends coming would intimidate him into doing the right thing. I don't believe in harming others even when they are in the wrong so I quickly began running scenarios in my mind and decided I would either detain him or evade him if possible. When the others showed up I explained to him again that if he were to touch me it would be assault and I would defend myself, besides, I can walk down the trail if I want, up it or down it he should have been happy with either. When he ignored my plea to allow us to continue down the hill I knew we had a control issue and prepared to defend my friends and myself. We all asked him to mind his own with manners and patience until he grabbed me, not my bike, me. So I shoved Him hard enough to know what he needed to know, but then I began to wonder why this 5 foot 8 40 something year old guy would be bold enough to lean on three younger and larger men than himself. So i thought of weapons and craziness and started getting ready for wierdness as I have seen it much to much in my life. Gratefully we removed ourselves from his presence without much damage but people like him are likely to escalate things like this into murders and assaults whenever they can. I love riding side-o but it is illegal and I have difficulty pointing fingers when I am doing something I shouldn't be doing. I wish there were legal dh courses in our hood and now I am really considering not returning. I am not afraid mind you, just wise enough to know that people who don't care about others rights are the most dangerous types of people. I have a family and riding is just that, it's riding. I pray for dude and that this does not escalate on others.

BigEBiker

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
what's funny is that all of side-o is illegal for hikers as well. just in case it happens again and they are on the trail. i've had my share of run-ins with traps that he (and others i'm sure) put up, common is head high logs around blind corners, it's happened a few times. never got more than cuts and bruises but if it had been almost anyone else riding the trail (ie. someone who doesn't know it as well) they would have been hurting. also wheel sized holes covered up with sticks and leaves on steep roll-ins suck, my friend found one, endo-ed to the bottom and was knocked out for about 2 minutes. the most common is sticks and logs across the trail, which always makes me laugh because here i am ripping down this trail with drops and jumps and rocks, and they think that a 3" tall stick is going to through me off, funny stuff.

Ian

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, come on, that's just funny. I like the prominent use of PhD credentials with a short, opinionated, unsupported rant on mountian bikers. Talk about monomania, geez...

MD

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
kidwoo said:
What the hell does this guy have a "PhD in" exactly?

His ignorance makes me want to hurt him. I think he missed the factor of his own stupidity in the emerging aggressions when in his presence. I wasn't mad before but now I am. He should "examine" a control group. First group of bikers not in his presence, second group with him around. Which is more pleasant?
I just want to know..or maybe I dont. What the hell is he so mad at really?
What is his major malfunction and why does he have this vendetta with Mountain Bikers? I'm gonna have to go with public opinion on this one and agree that this guy has a major screw loose!

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
ok, so, I have really been thinking about this event that happened. I don't know why, I never think. But, it's bound to happen and there's nothing you can do about it. I try to be polite and hate confrontation, but when he put his hands on my $2k bike, something snapped. I don't mind the hikers yelling at me/telling me to slow down on fire roads, but I DO mind when they interfere with my personal property. I find it a huge sign of disrespect on his part for just thinking he's better than my friends or I because he is a hiker and "knows the way of the land" or something like that. Now, dexter and I are Eagle Scouts and know not to cause erosion, to screw up the habitat or completely be an ass to those enjoying their surroundings as well. Heath, dexter and I had a discussion after our encounter about how/if we could have handled it better. my only offering was "I think that was the best way we could have, let it go. Let's ride" Anyways, if you encounter a trail-nazi, from my opinion; be calm, be assertive and don't be an jerkass. That will just make them more mad at bikers and want them totally destroyed from the mountain (ie; putting down traps, sticks etc). oh, and that "P.H.d. dude" is a toatl idiot...you gotta check out his website, it's pretty funny.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
he sounds like a psycho, who gets physically aggresive with 3 people? Tell him next time that you weren't aware, that youre going to finish your venture and then look into the rules. If he grabs your handlebars tell him that you dont appreciate the aggresive behavior and that you feel threatened which isn't legal.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
kidwoo said:
Wow.

That webpage makes half of me want to laugh because it's so ridiculous. It makes the other half of me wish I had given the guy a fist facial, free of charge. And yes, I know that slamming my fist into his face wouldn't have done any good, but, since hindsight is 20/20, it sure would have made me feel better. People never cease to amaze and disgust me.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wear a helmet cam whenever you ride there.

Play the part of the injured party as much as possible...let him convey a threat, which is the legal definition of assault. Don't threaten or strike him. If he hits you, well, you're wearing armor and he sounds like a real pvssy, so it shouldn't matter much, except that your tape is even better now. Take tape to police, and get a restraining order that removes him from the pristine natural habitat that he's invading with his presence, plus assault charges.

MD

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Damn True said:
Hey guys.
Hit me up if'n you are going riding.
Side-O or otherwise.
I'm going tomorrow and probably thurs or fri also to try out some new tire combos there but I ride really early in the morning to avoid these situations and to get to work on time. Like 7am ish. Let me know. Peace.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
Damn True said:
I live in San Jose and work in Morgan Hill. Can't do weekday morning.
True

Im down to roll this weekend one day....twightlight is usually best as most "nature goers" are home eating. if you know anyone who has a 185 rotor that i might be able to snag it would be greatly appreciated as mine DIED at N*.

If not side-0 then pacifica or even Rockville...hit me up brah!

Mikey "wheres my demo 8" Haderer :D

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
MikeD said:
Wear a helmet cam whenever you ride there.

Play the part of the injured party as much as possible...let him convey a threat, which is the legal definition of assault. Don't threaten or strike him. If he hits you, well, you're wearing armor and he sounds like a real pvssy, so it shouldn't matter much, except that your tape is even better now. Take tape to police, and get a restraining order that removes him from the pristine natural habitat that he's invading with his presence, plus assault charges.

MD
Sounds like a plan.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Want to hit up Downieville Saturday with me? THe DESTROYER is COming!! WOOHOOO. I love that place. I was thinking of rolling late friday around 8 or 9 and sleeping at a camp site and then rolling the early train to get a practice in. Otherwise I am going up early morning like 5am and no practice ride. Otherwise any weekend is good for me, maybe we could meet in the middle or do santa cruz or whatev's I'm down to hook up.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
True

Im down to roll this weekend one day....twightlight is usually best as most "nature goers" are home eating. if you know anyone who has a 185 rotor that i might be able to snag it would be greatly appreciated as mine DIED at N*.

If not side-0 then pacifica or even Rockville...hit me up brah!

Mikey "wheres my demo 8" Haderer :D
Hey brah, I'll have a rotor after saturday yo. Come by and get yo money today if you remember. Peace. Oh, and bring that wheel and my dvd.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
dexterq20 said:
Now that you do know who he is, I would call the Police and file a report.

Assault is a Felony is it not?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Assualt can be a misdemeanor or a felony. I'm sure this isn't a felony.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Jesus said:
Now that you do know who he is, I would call the Police and file a report.

Assault is a Felony is it not?
yeah i would report it regardless of the punishment. If he gets enough stuff on his file, it'll be much easier to believe in self-defence claims or other charges for other riders who might get assaulted or injured as a result of traps.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
zedro said:
yeah i would report it regardless of the punishment. If he gets enough stuff on his file, it'll be much easier to believe in self-defence claims or other charges for other riders who might get assaulted or injured as a result of traps.
Especially if all 3 of you guys file.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Talk to the cops about it - not to play it up of course, but to help out the case of the next biker who actually is assaulted (punched, etc...) by this d1ck. Anything done to destroy his credibility worse than it already is, is a very good thing - both for the next guy, and for the cause of trail access.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wow. just, wow.

there was a lawyer up here that was very anti-guns. he was shot in his home a few years back. no arrests and no suspects. and with the gun ban gone......hint hint.

a security guard around here was trying to take someones bike who was simply riding across the area the guard worked. it's public property and bikes are legal there. the guard said the guy could buy his bike back at the auction and kept walking away. the bike rider grabbed his bike back and the guard started pushing the bike rider in the chest in a threatening manner. the biker is the nicest, mellowest person ever but he lost it. he grabbed the guard by the throat, pushed him to the ground and punch him in the face about seven times.
the biker then got up, made sure the guard was still alive and breathing, and rode off.

I laughed.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
stoney98 said:
It's not always a gurantee to be him that's the problem. *Most* times it's him, but Berkeley is a VERY special place where everyone has the right of way except you, where laws only exist for those other people, and "preservng nature" is more important then the lives of people using interacting with nature in a way you disagree with. Without any confirm it was him, which you don't have, there's no file to go into. Hopefully they have a pic of him on file.
It might not have been him - but the truth of the matter is that every event like this brings into question the credibility of the group that he is a part of - just as much as the obnoxious pr1ck who purchased a DH bike because he saw it on T.V. (and is out shuttling some trail the same week screaming at - and by hikers / equestrians) brings into question the credibility of the other 95% of the mountain bike community.