Quantcast

An Introduction to the Rilor Wilderness Experience

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

During the first week of June I was able to visit Riley McIntosh in the Kootenays of British Columbia. We spent a few days riding, filming, laughing, eating and sleeping. Here is a preview of what Rilor Wilderness offers.
---

An Introduction to the Rilor Wilderness Experience

Words and Photos by David Peacock
Video by Andre Nutini

The introduction is an essential component of establishing any relationship. For you, the reader, this paragraph will decide whether or not you finish reading this article; for me, the introduction I received to Rilor Wilderness was essentially unprecedented. Driving in, rain pouring, we assumed that there wouldn?t be much riding to be had, especially given our 8 PM ETA. Contrary to our expectations, the first ultimatum proposed upon arrival was, ?Dinner, or ride??, a decision that riders everywhere face everyday. Naturally, we opted for the latter, eager to get our first taste of Riley McIntosh?s summer playground.

Mike Hopkins leans into a corner while Garett Buehler catches up. Remember to click the photos to make 'em big!

Hopkins in the fog.

?Tunnel Vision? was the wood-carved sign that stood atop the short hike-a-bike. Riley donned his lid, looked back to ensure we were all ready and willing, and stepped onto his pedals. The first 100 meters were enough to secure my already growing opinion of Riley?s operation, and brought about the eponymous sensation, tunnel vision. The trail as a whole was astounding; from precisely aligned S-berms to steep sections and wooden whoops, it had a bit of everything.

Devinci rider Evan Schwartz leads Beuhler, Hopkins and Riley down Tunnel Vision.

The wooden whoops are a rider favorite on Tunnel Vision, and much talk of whether or not they could be doubled was had.

Filming the upcoming Rilor Wilderness video consumed most of the daylight hours over our short stay with Riley, but the preview we were afforded was worth every second spent hiking camera gear into remote locations. Nestled in the welcoming expanse of British Columbia?s Kootenay region, the trails are mostly reestablished mining trails, meaning that the pace is quick and the singletrack points downward. It?s all there, whatever you are searching for. Rilor Wilderness is an escape from society, an escape from crowded bike parks, and a veritable transplant into a dream world for riding.

Garett Buehler grabs some air on his way down one of the many Slocan trails.

Hopkins hikes up for one more during filming in a fog storm.

Our accommodation was first class: a massive wooden chalet atop a rocky outcrop which towered above Slocan Lake. While it was a bit early in the season for a swim (the snow is still deep in the mountains above the lake, which added to the views), we were treated to an advanced screening of the food services. Needless to say, we were all astounded by the amenities Riley provided, and we?ll be heading back for something more than an introduction as soon as possible. Once we're back at Rilor, we'll bag a complete article detailing the adventures that ensue. Until then, go ride your bike!

Hopkins is chased by Buehler and Riley through the lush carpet of green that comprises much of the Kootenay's undergrowth.

Rilor Wilderness is currently in the process of obtaining a commercial mountain bike recreation tenure license, and will be hosting riders throughout the year. For more information on Riley McIntosh?s nugget of mountain bike gold, visit the website. We conducted an interview with Riley about his operation earlier in the year, and in case you missed it here are parts one and two.

Attachments

Last edited:

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I have ridden some of Riley McIntosh's trails in Nelson BC. (Illuminati and Powerslave) And I can probably say they are some of the best trails I have ever ridden. I would take a week in the kootenays over a week in a place like Whistler anytime.