Quantcast

An ode to Tundra Roja

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So I signed up for a Tundra forum to ask some questions about radiators and fan clutches and such, and the forum has a "New Member Intro" space. Thinking it wouldn't be a bad call to introduce myself to a bunch of booger-eatin' Tundra-lovin' yahoos, I started writin' up a post and diggin' up some pitchurs. And man, it got me thinking about how many awesome trips I've taken in this truck, and still do.

I bought my 2006 Tundra quad cab in 2009 with 42k on the clock, and it now has over 250k. I've done a few minor upgrades to make the vehicle capable for the types of things I like doing. Ya'll know this, but that basically includes skiing in the winter, riding gnarly mountain bike trails (she's a stellar shuttle vehicle as some of you have experienced), camping, and and running chase for the Baja 1000.

Moderate mods:
  • 17" wheels from a 2011 FJ
  • SPC upper control arms
  • OME shocks on all four corners
  • Stiffer OME springs up front
  • Added a leaf in the rear
  • Firestone airbags in the rear
  • ARB on-board compressor and rear diff locker
  • Baja Designs lighting on a "custom" bumper mount (designed, cut, and welded up in like an hour by one of my teammates)
  • Rugged Radios race comms
I have a 1999-ish Phoenix pop-up slide-in camper that we camp in during the summer months, with the better suspension and heavy tires it runs and drives awesome. I have a topper that goes on in the winter time to keep skis out of sight and bikes out of the elements when we cross Colorado in a blizzard to ride bikes in Moab in January.

I've thought about upgrading to a newer truck, but this one is paid for and runs strong. Love this thing.

Camping north of Durango in a real pretty spot...

Somewhere south of Durango in some other pretty spot...

Lighting setup with ghetto-fabbed mounting bracket...

Pulling the race car out of the silt...

So glad I installed the locker...

End of the race with the other 1st gen Tundra support truck...

No Tundra Roja, but a neat shot of me cooking breakfast along the White Rim in Moab for my birthday in 2019...

Tundra Roja climbing Murphy's hogback, White Rim 2019. We used my truck and a buddy's Tacoma to support 15 of us mountain biking the White Rim (109 miles) over 3 days. Super rad trip...

White Rim...

Last one, also White Rim...

Damn, I've had some good times in this truck.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There are at least two million-mile Tundras out there. Go get that record.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I miss my pre-taco DX. Once I get Frita "done" I think I will hit up homeboy in my hood and offer him $500 for the truck that has had the right front wheel off for 5+ years. Not sure he remembers where he left off.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The last one I finished was my '91 and built it in '98, sold in '01. I have had 5 of them from '85 to '93. That 22RE is the bombproof motor. The white one in my hood is about a '93, standard cab short bed. Would be the perfect beater, I would love to do a turbo.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i would like my dads tundra better if it were manual and diesel....

but your truck is cool.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Despite my kind offer of clean sheets Mr and Ms Full Trucker opted to spend the night sleeping in their "van down by the river..." with the pups...

IMG_20191209_184349.jpg

Thankfully they did avail themselves of my freezer so the ICE COLD Hendricks / Tonic was on point*

IMG_20191209_184417.jpg

*rabid squirrel not so much...

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I’ve narrowed it down to either the radiator itself, or one of the hoses.
I had a leak at the water pump. I only had like 60k on my second timing belt and my mechanic said he could just do the whole timing belt again for like an extra $100. So I had the water pump done along with another timing belt while he was in there.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I had a leak at the water pump. I only had like 60k on my second timing belt and my mechanic said he could just do the whole timing belt again for like an extra $100. So I had the water pump done along with another timing belt while he was in there.
Good point. Mine could also be the water pump.
:D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Possibly narrowed down where my leaking is originating... Coming from near the largest pulley on the front of the engine... so maybe water pump? I think the water pump is behind that pulley.

57BAC9E8-5A4E-49AA-B9A4-DF2193A770BB.jpeg

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Definitely water pump. Might as well do the timing belt as well since it all has to come off anyway. The whole job still shouldn't be terribly expensive, I think mine was $700ish or so with everything. Make sure to use OE replacement pump.