Quantcast

An ode to Tundra Roja

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Definitely water pump. Might as well do the timing belt as well since it all has to come off anyway. The whole job still shouldn't be terribly expensive, I think mine was $700ish or so with everything. Make sure to use OE replacement pump.
Then there are some other things that should be replaced while in there. Serpentine/accessory belt, fan bracket iirc (if the layout is anything like my Land Cruiser with the same engine).

I'd recommend going to Comprehensive Care Care. E Evans Ave, run by a bunch of old mechanics that I trust not to upsell me shit. They only work on Toyota, Subaru, and Honda, fwiw.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Most water pumps have a "weep hole" on the bottom that will drip when the pump gets shitty. If you have a mirror or someway to get a good look at the bottom of the pump take a look and see if that is in fact wet/leaking.
Definitely water pump. Might as well do the timing belt as well since it all has to come off anyway. The whole job still shouldn't be terribly expensive, I think mine was $700ish or so with everything. Make sure to use OE replacement pump.
:stupid:

And since that truck has a bazillion miles on it, if the radiator, hoses, and thermostat are OE, I'd do them too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yeah, I chased some wetness to the side and above the crank pulley, and the water pump is located above and behind the crank pulley. So it's that, or maybe just water pump gasket. Either way, it's a shitty all-day job to get at yourself, gonna call in a pro.

I'd recommend going to Comprehensive Care Care. E Evans Ave, run by a bunch of old mechanics that I trust not to upsell me shit. They only work on Toyota, Subaru, and Honda, fwiw.
Thanks for the rec, doc. Might check them out. We (meaning Project Baja) have our own personal Ford Mechanic that's done some work on my truck and another dude's Tundra as a side hustle, so I'm checking with him to see if he has availability soon.

Most water pumps have a "weep hole" on the bottom that will drip when the pump gets shitty. If you have a mirror or someway to get a good look at the bottom of the pump take a look and see if that is in fact wet/leaking.

:stupid:
Good to know about the glory weep hole, and great idea WRT the mirror.

And since that truck has a bazillion miles on it, if the radiator, hoses, and thermostat are OE, I'd do them too.
Then there are some other things that should be replaced while in there. Serpentine/accessory belt, fan bracket iirc (if the layout is anything like my Land Cruiser with the same engine).
Hoses, water pump, and serpentine/timing/accessory belt were all done ~40k ago, in Oct 2017 right before we went to Baja.* Might just do them all again, I have another timing belt kit that includes the water pump, and I can get Gates hoses for free/cheap since several dudes on the team work there.

*Yes, it had 210k on the clock with an OG timing belt. Fight me.

Ridden hard, and put away wet
Ain't that the truth. :D

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is the only pic I have of this truck. I had so much fun beating the piss out of this thing.

FB_IMG_1576170502892.jpg

Shortly after this picture I installed cut out fender flares and 36" tires. I had 5.29 gears in it and it would climb straight vert.

This is why I want that damn truck in my hood!

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So I took her to the Project Baja mechanic, and it turns out the radiator was actually the culprit, it was leaking pretty bad. The dripping and wetness I saw coming from the engine and frame rails was caused by the fan blowing the coolant back towards the engine. But also, an o-ring for the thermostat housing was also leaking. So, I have a new radiator, o-ring, thermostat, radiator cap, and a flush and fill. All better!

So I took her to the Project Baja mechanic, and it turns out the radiator was actually the culprit, it was leaking pretty bad. The dripping and wetness I saw coming from the engine and frame rails was caused by the fan blowing the coolant back towards the engine. But also, an o-ring for the thermostat housing was also leaking. So, I have a new radiator, o-ring, thermostat, radiator cap, and a flush and fill. All better!
Corrosion or mechanical damage?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How about that timing belt? :busted:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Corrosion or mechanical damage?
I didn’t ask specifically, but I trust Steve to tell me when and if things look bad. So I’m going to assume no corrosion or mechanical damage to anything. Oh wait... are you asking about the radiator and what the cause if the leak was? I’ll ask him. He didn’t say. I assume “old as fuck” was the problem.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Derp, my reading comprehension sucks. Thought I read he was still on the original with quarter million miles. :eek:
He only went 210k miles on a belt that should be changed every 90k. He was being conservative, really!