Quantcast

an old picture of Tinker

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
found this picture on another site. I probably have the magazine it came from in my basement.

Greenlake, seattle washington.

funny thing is, now there are somewhat permanant dirt jumps down by the lake.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
pnj said:
found this picture on another site. I probably have the magazine it came from in my basement.

Greenlake, seattle washington.

funny thing is, now there are somewhat permanant dirt jumps down by the lake.
Cool pic. I ran into Tinker on the trails once... super nice guy.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Ciaran said:
Cool pic. I ran into Tinker on the trails once... super nice guy.

He's pretty easy to spot, I've never ran into him but I know a couple of people who have. He likes the San Gabriels. I think he used to ride up Monrovia Canyon to Rincon/Redbox, over to the Gabrielino trail and down through Chantry. A friend of mine used to race with him for JMC back in the day.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dexterq20 said:
Tinker Juarez, right? Dang, I never woulda guessed he rode BMX back in the day.
Yeah man. He was pretty good too.
Here's another pic of him racing back in like 1978...

Photo by Tim Lillethorup

He's from SoCal so when my cousin and I were BMX kids we'd see him around at the races. He's older than us so we never raced against him.

Here's a BMXA cover with him on it...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
The guy is just unbelievable. To go from being one of the top BMX riders in the country to a XC National champion is just an amazing transition.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
There used to be a picture around here somewhere of Tinker and Heidi sharing the top spot on the podium. I forget which race it was...some ridiculously long one. :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That's awesome. As I recall Tinker was one of the first dudes to get any kind of major exposure riding skateparks WAAYY back in the day...him and Bob Haro were out there before other guys like Eddie Fiola, Brian Blyther, Dominguez, and the other dudes that picked up the ball and ran with it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stoney98 said:
It's hard to believe that tinker could do anything but pedal. Jumping? Styling? weird.
Yeah. Dig the article title on the magazine cover - "Tinker Juarez: King Of The Skateparks"