Quantcast

an used or budget frame to replace Sunday?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Hey!

Im not in hurry to do the switch but I fear that after getting Banshee Rune L, I feel Sunday (size Small) will be cramped despite 60mm stem and 780mm bar. So even still Sunday has a lot offer for me, I sell this due the size.

Will it be worth to find a old main frame with broken rear triangle for cheap but size of Large to stay with Sunday?

Or go look and find a decent slightly used frame (around 1000-1300€) or a new budget frame like NukeProof dh. Spontaneously, to add another used Banshee frame sounds not bad idea.

But I also wonder if it will be waste of Money to have 2 VPP frames, when I can play with other linkage designs as single pivot. Im tempted to modify my old Norco from 2002 and set at 6" and add offset bushings as FSR linkage seems fun to play with, one that is quite different from Sunday.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just get a Legend. At least you can be sure it's bombproof and you can own one for years. Mine will enter its 4th season and I still have no plans of buying anything new. You can easily have used ones for that cash.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I knew you'd say that :D ;)
I like other frames but if you liked the sunday the legend shares some traits with it even if they are overexaggerated. Just get a large if you are over 180cm. I'm 179cm and with a 55mm stem I think I'm at the highest you can be for it. At least I feel that way.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
okay, im 177cm, my hands might be longer than usual. Shorter stem on L would work, 40mm? I will run 30mm on Rune (reach 440mm for Rune, 415mm for Legend)

Any big difference beween models of first year and current?

Re Sunday, I will might stay if it is hard to sell my current frame for good price.

What other frames do you like, Norbar?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
okay, im 177cm, my hands might be longer than usual. Shorter stem on L would work, 40mm? I will run 30mm on Rune (reach 440mm for Rune, 415mm for Legend)

Any big difference beween models of first year and current?

Re Sunday, I will might stay if it is hard to sell my current frame for good price.

What other frames do you like, Norbar?
M will work for you with a 45-50mm then. The newer models are supposedly slightly lighter and stiffer ( I don't know how that would even be noticeable unless you are 500lbs) as per. bikerumor review.

Other frames - I liked the sunday. Didn't like the session that much. Fun on teh local trails but in the rough it's not too good in the rough. I tried the mondraker but it was too long for me. I didn't have that much ride time in the last season due to injury and work. I like the v10 susp with an avy shock but the geo was never for me. I'm yet to try the v10c in the 8.5 setting. I hope to catch up in 2013 when I get less injuries and more riding time.

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
okay, im 177cm, my hands might be longer than usual. Shorter stem on L would work, 40mm?
I'm exatcly the same hight as you. Just bought a L size sunday frame. I use it with 50mm truva directmount stem. The lenght is good, just a little bit high since it's a large frame. The wheelbase 1175mm which is really nice and stable at speed instead of a shorter one (like the M size frame). I feel myself comfortable at the front triangle.

Last edited:

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
OMG this thread makes me doubt (again) about what Sunday size i need, because im going to get a Sunday in 1 or 2 months, and i was thinking on getting a M size, i'm 181 cm tall.

But if a 177cm guy has a Large Sunday and he find it comfortable... i don't know what to buy.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Ok, i will buy a large Sunday then, it is harder to find one, but i don't want to feel unconfortable on my own bike :D

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
I don't know why the Turner DHR is a alternative to the Sunday. Aren't they totally different bikes?
Because the DHR looks like a nice bike and i have heard lots of positive comments, and a lot of Sunday ex-owners have a DHR now.

But well, is not so easy to find a Turner in Spain, there are lots of Sundays thanks to the 2009 CRC sale, but have never seen a DHR with my own eyes.

Last edited:

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
For alternative new 'budget' frame you might want to test ride a polygon (not spam) maybe its already available in europe in L size.

I used (still have) slackened sunday with RC4, and it is quite similar in geo and handling, with 'lower COG' feeling.. It won't pedal as good and cable routing may need to be customized tho, but overall good value.

I had latest demos before the sunday, but when my baby born I switch to 'more wallet friendly' bikes.

Legends and DHRs are also good I guess, but 2nd hand (warranty wise). Cheers..

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
M will work for you with a 45-50mm
what size of frame do you run? 30mm stem is not enough for L frame? found nice straitline 28mm stem in website.

Interesting with reach measurement, on DH frame identical size reach is much shorter compared to AM (Rune). Is it due one needs room to move forward and back on DH rig?

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Interesting suggestions, all!

what brands of current linkage design are typical for old ancient FSR linkage? I liked that lively poppy feeling on old bike before.

Last edited: