Quantcast

Analysis of Bicycling Magazine

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On the long flight to Connecticut, I picked up a copy of Bicycling, which I usually only buy when I am flying (I also had a copy of Decline, Bike, and Mountain Bike, for those haters out there).

I noticed a few things, like all the ads for non-bike products. like Michelob Ultra and ASICS running shoes, but here are the highlights of the bike stuff

Carbon fiber shortage due to a new plane model constructed primarily out of CF.

Ivan Basso's (who was banned from this year's Tour from doping allegations) advice of "Eat early, go to sleep early. Don't eat bad food."

This one I thought was very interesting: Chris Carmichael's advice about eating too many carbs during a ride. He said that the average person could only process 1 gram of carbs per minute, so if you overeat during a ride, you could upset your stomach. He advised less carb foods instead of power gels and rationing your eating.

And the one which made me think about this post: a cyclo-cross rider who is a transexual who races in men's races, despite considering herself a woman. Something to think about, eh Dumasque?