Quantcast

And bike stores wonder why...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
...people shop online?

Was in a pinch and had to pick this stuff up. Normally I buy these little parts at local stores (the one I usually go to was closed), but how can they complain about losing customers when they are pricing them right out of shopping there? :confused:

There was a pretty sweet looking Cannondale hard tail in there, though...Never thought I'd say that.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
To be fair, spokes are a pain in the dick to stock. You need about 16 million sizes in stock, in 2 colors, straight, butted, and double butted, stainless and Ti, and even then, somebody's going to bitch when you don't have the exact spoke they want.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, spokes are a pain in the dick to stock. You need about 16 million sizes in stock, in 2 colors, straight, butted, and double butted, stainless and Ti, and even then, somebody's going to bitch when you don't have the exact spoke they want.
Depends, a serious shop should have Phil Wood spoke cutter, then you don't have to stock all sorts of crazy sizes, but I digress;

Jagwire housing can be a little pricey, especially the colored set I picked up which the shop didn't sell by the foot, but in pre-packaged sets, but that's what you pay for stuff to have it now. Deal with it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
But did you get a side of attitude with a bit of condescension thrown in?
Ha, I've gotten attitude from a big box bike store too. Same situation as OP, needed a part on a day when my LBS was closed. Asked the mechanic for a two foot section of 4mm shifter housing. He first wanted to quiz me on the difference between brake housing and shifter housing. I just looked at him and walked away. Been riding and turning wrenches longer than he's been out of diapers.

Dayum kids need to keep off mah lawn.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...thats why I tend to avoid them all. Interweb shops for me mostly, until I settle somewhere and find a local shop I trust and can form a decent relationship with...

I have a guy here I deal with, because he is very cool and only one deep at his shop, does it all himself. Builds killer wheels, handles high end boutique stuff mostly and takes VAT forms. He is kind of far away tho. But 96.4% of my stuff I do myself. When I find THE SHOP, I will stand down from my maintenance stand.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Last week I ordered a Extra Firm Totem spring, the shop had it in 3 days and it was under $50AU, I was impressed!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But did you get a side of attitude with a bit of condescension thrown in?
I didn't get any of that, but she was puzzled when I said it was for a seatpost haha. She was cute though...

There was a funny situation happening out front of the store with some old couple trying to haggle on a cruiser bike. They were arguing over not getting a kickstand in the deal :sarcastic:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My LBS is charged me to adjust gears. 20 dollars and it still does not shift right after two tries. Same happend at another shop were the bike got worse.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Took my bike to a local shop because I was on a time crunch with too much other stuff to do. Needed the rear brake bled. They told me the bleed was fine, it just needed pads, but they didn't have the pads...after having it for two days.

Picked up the bike, had the wife get me some pads. Put the pads on once I got up to the bike park...still needed a bleed :mad: Was luckily able to get the LBS up there to bleed for me. Ugh, I hate bike shops for the most part.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It still needed pads. Still felt like crap to me but the mechanic was adamant it didn't need a bleed. Kept telling me once I put new pads in it would be fine.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
There was a funny situation happening out front of the store with some old couple trying to haggle on a cruiser bike. They were arguing over not getting a kickstand in the deal :sarcastic:
I got that all the time working at Dicks Sporting Goods. people were shocked that bikes didn't come with kickstands, especially kids bikes. and the popular question was how was the bike gonna stay up straight? I would look at them weirdly and take the bike and lean it up against a wall and give them the taa daa stance

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I went into my lbs the other day after getting frustrated with a brake bleed. For some reason I thought shimano were as quick and easy as thee clips on youtube would have you believe... In any case, I couldn't get them feeling any better post-bleed.

So, I was hoping for some quick turnaround (hope, the operative word here), and got a little pertinent advice. I also paid over $50 for a pair of pads. I went home and bought 4 pairs online for less than 20 a pair.

Pretty nuts.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It still needed pads. Still felt like crap to me but the mechanic was adamant it didn't need a bleed. Kept telling me once I put new pads in it would be fine.
I would have told him to go ride the thing...then tell me they are still good. Hydro brakes suck, I need to master the caring and feeding of same.

Finding a good bike shop and mechanic you trust is like finding a decent wife, gotta try a few before you find the right one...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I went into my lbs the other day after getting frustrated with a brake bleed. For some reason I thought shimano were as quick and easy as thee clips on youtube would have you believe... In any case, I couldn't get them feeling any better post-bleed.

So, I was hoping for some quick turnaround (hope, the operative word here), and got a little pertinent advice. I also paid over $50 for a pair of pads. I went home and bought 4 pairs online for less than 20 a pair.

Pretty nuts.
what was the pertinent advice?

My LBS bitch list is long - steerer tube cut too short, brake bleed that contaminated pads, parts order that never arrived, new road bike set up by stoner with missing bits and a lot of loose parts, seriously ****ed up shifter adjustment...

But...

I think my LBS credit list is longer - unexpected and unasked for discounts, lots of patient training on how to wrench, parts right now when I need them, good friends, trail information...

Generally, if I need something, I ask LBS first. If I run into a roadblock, I'll shop online.