Quantcast

And boom goes the fertilizer

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/texas-fertilizer-plant-stored-1350-times-the-amount-of-chemical-that-would-trigger-oversight/article11436704/

Fertilizer plants and depots must report to the Department of Homeland Security when they hold 400 pounds (180 kilograms) or more of the substance. Filings this year with the Texas Department of State Health Services, which weren’t shared with the Department of Homeland Security, show the plant had 270 tons of it on hand last year.

The West Fertilizer facility was subject to other reporting, permitting and safety programs, spread across at least seven state and federal agencies, a patchwork of regulation that critics say makes it difficult to ensure thorough oversight.

Feature, not a bug.

But I mean, who cares? There's money to be made, and the firefighters ain't even paid.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Homeland security.

What a f-ing joke.
Somewhat. Turns out self-reporting doesn't work so well, but that's mostly (from what I understand) so that DHS knows where potential targets are.

OSHA, the EPA, and "The best regulator of business is business!" libertarian assholes are much more at fault. Not to mention the owners of the plant, who at this point appear to have not been arrested.

Lucky the explosion was so large, there's probably not a lot of blood to get off your hands. Splinters of skull and bones are a bitch to remove though.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
^^^^^^^^^Related

Clearly, government is the problem!
Late on Friday, plant owner Donald Adair released a general statement expressing sorrow over the incident but saying West Fertilizer would have little further comment while it cooperated with investigators to try to determine what happened.

"This tragedy will continue to hurt deeply for generations to come," Adair said in the statement.

Why hasn't this fvcker been charged with negligent homicide yet?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't know if he's going to be able to do that. This isn't Dow Chemical. It looks like Donald Adair employed less people than he incinerated.