Quantcast

And Here. We. Go. - the Lourdes 2015 thread...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
That's John Hall, I believe.

Something random I also noticed... The two riders who blew up their rear wheels (Needles & Neko) both have their brothers as their mechanics. Maybe there's some kinda weird voodoo curse about letting your bro build your wheels..... :\
was polygon actually running kenda tires?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I wonder if any teams run more "heavy duty" rim options for a race like this?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if any teams run more "heavy duty" rim options for a race like this?
Seriously. So many flats. Maybe it's time we as riders accept that DH tire setups need to be heavier. I know the tireballz pic gets wheeled out periodically in jest, but I'm starting to think the inventor might be onto something...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Seriously. So many flats. Maybe it's time we as riders accept that DH tire setups need to be heavier. I know the tireballz pic gets wheeled out periodically in jest, but I'm starting to think the inventor might be onto something...
Or, or those assholes can just slow the fuck down...jeesh. A course like Lourdes should take 7 or 8 minutes to get down with all the scary portage areas. It's like these fools don't know how to use those little life levers on either side of their bar. No more flats, no more displacing loose corner dirt, no broken bikes or busted helmets...just good, clean fun. In fact, I will be glad to work with the uci to develop a "go slow - save the rims" campaign. I could even be an instructor for an educational course.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Or, or those assholes can just slow the fuck down...jeesh. A course like Lourdes should take 7 or 8 minutes to get down with all the scary portage areas. It's like these fools don't know how to use those little life levers on either side of their bar. No more flats, no more displacing loose corner dirt, no broken bikes or busted helmets...just good, clean fun. In fact, I will be glad to work with the uci to develop a "go slow - save the rims" campaign. I could even be an instructor for an educational course.

i agree.. those dang double black diamond riders are totally reckless

*hops on 29r and pedals away*

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
However, it'll be interesting to see who wins the season by playing a strategy.

Risking for 1st, wreck a wrist and come back in middle of the season and discover that its not enough to acquire points to win the season. Or acquire points through mediocre placements and win the season.

Risking and gaming, it makes dh season exciting. I bet on a rider who hasn't won the season earlier. Hart? Blenkisop? Bruni?

A mediocre rider, while staying out of injuries, may win.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Gwin's run on youtube in HD for those who want to download it etc:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
However, it'll be interesting to see who wins the season by playing a strategy.

Risking for 1st, wreck a wrist and come back in middle of the season and discover that its not enough to acquire points to win the season. Or acquire points through mediocre placements and win the season.

Risking and gaming, it makes dh season exciting. I bet on a rider who hasn't won the season earlier. Hart? Blenkisop? Bruni?

A mediocre rider, while staying out of injuries, may win.
let brock bye

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dirt needs to start doing edits for world cups again, this one from red bull is HORRENDOUS
or... maybe Redbull has taken away some of the Parkins' brothers creative license? Either way, I agree. I would like to see a slightly longer, more complete edit. Didn't redbull do a recap last year that was about 30 minutes long? that would be ideal if it had more footage than just the race cameras.

Aren`t the parkin bros responsible for the edits from Red Bull?
That's why Dirt doesn't have any edits anymore, right?
I think Redbull picked up the Parkins when they secured the broadcast rights to the races after the UCI banned footage being broadcast from anywhere outside the finish arena. Thank god they did. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. IMO.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Aren`t the parkin bros responsible for the edits from Red Bull?
That's why Dirt doesn't have any edits anymore, right?
A lot has been lost since DIrtTV was banned....

Gotta take the good with the bad with the Red Bull support.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The music in that video was incorrect. Didn't they get the memo from VitalMTB that 2015 is the year to use metal in mtb vids?
If it was up to me, every year would be the year to use metal in videos, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
The music in that video was incorrect. Didn't they get the memo from VitalMTB that 2015 is the year to use metal in mtb vids?
If it was up to me, every year would be the year to use metal in videos, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Metal is always the answer! :headbang:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Suspension setup. His is a whole different world of stiff compared to other riders. Look at that little stepup feature at 49 seconds. Everyone else sorta compressed a bit and lost speed. His fork barely moved and he just kept going.
You reckon that helps that much? I tend to associate soft suspension with increased grip, and it seems to me his bike is just glued over all those off-camber roots, that enables him to just straight-line that one section. I mean, his suspension is obviously stiff. You can see that as he pedals down the start ramp, but he's obviously not short on traction either. Of course, he's also not lacking in skillz...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
It's insane how the guys look when they're truly hauling...they just look so stable, it almost looks funny. I've seen it in Gwin this race; also Sam Hill, Danny Hart, Greg Minnaar, Steve Peat, and Ratboy (last season). Probably others too, but I think being completely dialed in on their lines has to be a huge part of it.