Quantcast

And I thought only two of these existed...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so cause its a proto, not a good setup for the links?
thats why its not around anymore?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Five said:
Why does every other description have to end w/ "Brand spanking new"?

When were those things built - like '99 or something?
Those were built in 2000 or thought to be the new Giant DH frame for 01. It looks pretty clean...no scratches. Like the guy said on ebay, could have been a display model.

DHS said:
so cause its a proto, not a good setup for the links?
thats why its not around anymore?
From what I heard, the DH frame we see now was chosen over this one because the center of gravity was a lot lower.

dropthebreak

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
ChrisRobin said:
Apparently there's one in Taiwan and one in the US. I didn't know there was one kicking around in the UK. What's also weird is when this was made, I don't think there were 9.5" shocks available. Wow...it's brand new...only $4000cdn complete.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANT-DOWNHILL-TEAM-RACE-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-SCOTT-TREK-KONA_W0QQitemZ7184858552QQcategoryZ27948QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I believe the frame originally came equipped with a 9.25 x 2.75 rock shox pro deluxe rear shock which was out at that time.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
at the 99 Worlds at Bromont the Giant rep showed me a couple of them, so wanted them to come out.

This is why i find the argument funny that Giant quickly threw a VPP type design together which later turned into the Maestro in the last two years (accusations of ripping-off SC and DW), when really they've been mucking around with the basic premise at least since 1999.