Quantcast

And its only June

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of the best trails in the world is in imminent danger of being toasted due to some asshole leaving a campfire in June, in Utah....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If it's always above normal, isn't it normal?
its not always normal

2017 and 2019 were some of the 2 wettest years on record

this summer is the literally the driest ground level moisture content on record at this poin in the calendar year

as has been said for decades regarding a hotter overall planet....things will still get wet and dry but the extremes get more extreme per season

seems to check out...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
as has been said for decades regarding a hotter overall planet....things will still get wet and dry but the extremes get more extreme per season

seems to check out...
Dude, do I really have to Foxsplain this to you? There is no climate change! Just an invention of the radical left to attack your freedom. Carry on coal rolling, nothing bad will come out of it. ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The price for carbon needs to pay for direct carbon capture on a massive, gigatonne scale. It’s probably our only hope to live remotely like we do today in 100 years time. I wish that was an exaggeration but as you might have noticed I work in climate science and I get slapped around the face with the reality of our collective stupidity everyday.

Stop burning stuff guys. It’s really really quite bad.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The price for carbon needs to pay for direct carbon capture on a massive, gigatonne scale. It’s probably our only hope to live remotely like we do today in 100 years time. I wish that was an exaggeration but as you might have noticed I work in climate science and I get slapped around the face with the reality of our collective stupidity everyday.

Stop burning stuff guys. It’s really really quite bad.
Can I burn stuff to extract H2?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The price for carbon needs to pay for direct carbon capture on a massive, gigatonne scale.
I expect that to work as well as recycling plastic.

Until there's a (real) reason to profit up CO2 capture no one will care and it will be a half assed show to make rich people feel like they're making a difference while they continue to drive and fly all over the planet for fun, while not actually accomplishing anything

stuff like this is good to see at least

last year was supposedly the "worst fire year on record" in CA, with this year already outpacing it.

This is my homepage when I open my browser during the summer. It uses both fire reports and also satellite hotspot data. Pretty good tool if you live on the west coast or colorado springs.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I expect that to work as well as recycling plastic.

Until there's a (real) reason to profit up CO2 capture no one will care and it will be a half assed show to make rich people feel like they're making a difference while they continue to drive and fly all over the planet for fun, while not actually accomplishing anything

stuff like this is good to see at least

last year was supposedly the "worst fire year on record" in CA, with this year already outpacing it.

This is my homepage when I open my browser during the summer. It uses both fire reports and also satellite hotspot data. Pretty good tool if you live on the west coast or colorado springs.

My favorite weather app has fire intensity maps, can also get various air quality information. If you think it is bad in California, the Amazon is constantly on fire, and probably not by accident. Probably best not to look at Africa either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My favorite weather app has fire intensity maps, can also get various air quality information. If you think it is bad in California, the Amazon is constantly on fire, and probably not by accident. Probably best not to look at Africa either.

wtf?????

africa.JPG

is that agricultural or something?

Or elon musk's family burning slave corpses from the emerald mines?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
wtf?????

View attachment 161399

is that agricultural or something?

Or elon musk's family burning slave corpses from the emerald mines?
Guessing slash/burn agriculture? The image is just a thermal radiation value, it actually picks up a concrete plant south of Downtown Seattle when it is running. I don't see smoke from the satellite images but that usually only happens for the higher intensity forest fires.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Guessing slash/burn agriculture? The image is just a thermal radiation value, it actually picks up a concrete plant south of Downtown Seattle when it is running. I don't see smoke from the satellite images but that usually only happens for the higher intensity forest fires.
Yeah I messed around with the layers to try and see what it was actually displaying

That's either fires or.....fires

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Are those countries trying to make the southern half of the continent like the northern half?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
It’s a bit of a data anomaly, if you zoom in really far you can see it’s actually a whole lot of tiny fires rather than huge ones as it appears initially. Cross comparison to satellite imagery shows it is in rural and ‘urban’ areas. Given the countries it is centered on, it is probably a combination of agricultural practice and people who still use open fires for cooking etc.

Edit: This may be wrong or right, not enough data.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It’s a bit of a data anomaly, if you zoom in really far you can see it’s actually a whole lot of tiny fires rather than huge ones as it appears initially. Cross comparison to satellite imagery shows it is in rural and ‘urban’ areas. Given the countries it is centered on, it is probably a combination of agricultural practice and people who still use open fires for cooking etc.
I zoomed in to the point where just a base map with roads and towns are shown

it ain't much different at the first resolution where the layer is displayed

that's a lot of damn fires

I'm assuming all the hot points on the florida panhandle are mat gaetz burning extra phones and computers

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Actually after a bit of cross comparison to actual active fires I’m not sure Windy is much use other than a general aggregator.

Example, a Yuma fire, apparently active right now:

47F3265C-A9C4-4481-AD66-1BE3AE0D6D21.jpeg

Windy says:

3CD26648-FE7B-4865-8B76-ECC5C6DD2135.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's the same data, the firemapper I linked just brings in agency response info and puts a pretty icon on it.

I mean there's value in that because it helps you quickly locate something near you but it's not like the windy data is 'wrong' or completely useless or anything. for the really big stuff that will be starting up in about 5 minutes or so that intensity display on windy will be pretty useful I think.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Our plants love fires, to get seeds to germinate more reliably I have to add some charcoal to the top or the seedling mix.

I need to start growing more plants, if I don't hand in my work evidence I don't get given free native plants. I wasn't allowed to use a chainsaw or machete as a solo volunteer so I went rogue.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You're in yosemite in June? Lol

I mean "condolences"
it wasnt that crowded....although almost 16 bucks for a 20lb bag of ice....i kind of felt violated....and that was outside the park...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Finally had an extended conversation with MIL1 about possibly selling the condo and just buying a place here. Prop 19 in CA re-asseses property value on her death, which will have a large tax impact on us. Also renter's rights grossly outweigh landlord's right in her county, so the risk of getting trapped with a non-paying renter is incredibly high. We'll find out today or tomorrow what estimated market value is.