Quantcast

And so it begins, chatbots take over higher Ed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We all knew it was coming, it's just now officially starting.

https://futurism.com/college-student-caught-writing-paper-chatgpt

Antony Aumann, a philosophy professor at Northern Michigan University, caught a student using ChatGPT to write a suspiciously coherent and well-structured essay about burqa bans.

The student later confessed, as The New York Times first reported, ushering in a strange future for higher ed in a world in which powerful chatbots can generate entire essays from a single prompt

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is the bot the one plaigerising?

Perhaps they need to teach students to be make smarter decisions? I mean in the long run, if the students aren't doing the work then that fancy diploma they've paid for is meaningless at the end of it all.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Based on what I've seen lately in my industry, this is already the case.
Its amazing...

I went to college pretty late in the game, I was what, 28 or something?

I went to a college that was very focused on the technical side of things, so not much regurgitating the theory we read. Exams were largely based around coming up with solutions to problems. The amount of times the prof's would tell us the questions that were on the exam, like the exact questions, was pretty high. If you were paying attention and doing the very minimum amount of work, you'd be hard pressed to fail. Yet so many people failed, it was shocking. Like WTF are you doing here if you aren't going to learn? :rofl:

This one networking exam I took, we had to build this elaborate network and demonstrate that it was all working through some tests. Dude told us the problem ahead of time and said this is the ONLY question on the exam. I took that, worked for hours on it ahead of time. We were allowed a cheat sheet, so I wrote out the entire thing, walked into the exam, typed that shit up, pressed enter and watched the magic fly. I was done in 15 minutes. 25% of that class failed the exam... :rofl:

Don't get me started on young peoples inability to read communication send to them. :banghead: I sent an email out to someone with step by step instructions etc etc and at the end, gave buddy a link to a nice report that gives him all the data that is required. He ended up calling me and asking how to get the data - so I had him pull up the email and open the link. It was like they couldn't read past the first sentence, even while I'm telling him to just read the email, ITS ALL RIGHT THERE, they just wanted it handed to them on a spoon.

Holy frig /end rant

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Based on what I've seen lately in my industry, this is already the case.
Senior year in my program we had a lab class where we were supposed to demonstrate what we had learned in the last 3 years. It was the only class that didn't just teach you something then ask to just duplicate what you were taught. It required actual independant thought. People with straight As would often fail it multiple times. It as pretty funny.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Its amazing...

I went to college pretty late in the game, I was what, 28 or something?

I went to a college that was very focused on the technical side of things, so not much regurgitating the theory we read. Exams were largely based around coming up with solutions to problems. The amount of times the prof's would tell us the questions that were on the exam, like the exact questions, was pretty high. If you were paying attention and doing the very minimum amount of work, you'd be hard pressed to fail. Yet so many people failed, it was shocking. Like WTF are you doing here if you aren't going to learn? :rofl:

This one networking exam I took, we had to build this elaborate network and demonstrate that it was all working through some tests. Dude told us the problem ahead of time and said this is the ONLY question on the exam. I took that, worked for hours on it ahead of time. We were allowed a cheat sheet, so I wrote out the entire thing, walked into the exam, typed that shit up, pressed enter and watched the magic fly. I was done in 15 minutes. 25% of that class failed the exam... :rofl:

Don't get me started on young peoples inability to read communication send to them. :banghead: I sent an email out to someone with step by step instructions etc etc and at the end, gave buddy a link to a nice report that gives him all the data that is required. He ended up calling me and asking how to get the data - so I had him pull up the email and open the link. It was like they couldn't read past the first sentence, even while I'm telling him to just read the email, ITS ALL RIGHT THERE, they just wanted it handed to them on a spoon.

Holy frig /end rant
That's pretty much my experience. I think the fact that you went to college at 28 shows that you actually wanted to be there, and you weren't just there because that's what you were expected to do right after high school. I took my CHSPE (fancy GED) when I was 16, and didn't go back to school until I was 21, and was sure it was what I wanted to do.

I'm seeing a lot of engineering and architecture graduates coming into the workforce with absolutely zero practical knowledge, which is generally OK provided they have learned how to learn. Most of them haven't, unfortunately.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It ain't about learning. Its about getting your certification and then expecting the gates of heaven to open.

I saw it constantly in trade school. Kids take out loans. Fuck off for 2 years, talking about drugs, cars, women, and sports. I watched the instructors dumb down the testing so kids wouldn't fail out. Then after school they all freaked out when they got fired and couldnt hang in the trade. Now they all have debt and no education.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
It does need to be said that this is *nothing* new.
True, but in this industry it's worse today. Most of the architecture graduates know nothing about drafting standards or how how a building goes together. Architecture graduates are hired to draw plans, not to design or manage projects, and they usually can't.

Once upon a time, drafting classes were part of the curriculum, and someone with an Architecture degree could at least draw. Not so much any more. I mean shit, I knew more about drafting standards after one college level drafting class than the current graduates do. Not because I'm exceptional (I'm not), but because it's no longer being taught.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And people think it's taking away engineering jobs. @stoney will have way more free time now.

Had someone go through the full 'I don't need an advisor; I can learn everything I need online' rant the other day. Went through his whole strategy and I just listened. When he was done, I asked him what people told him to do with his 457 plan (govt only ret plan) as part of his strategy. He said nothing, since he could do everything with his Roth IRA and 401k.

457 plans don't have early withdrawal penalties, so if given the choice you should always fund a 457. After explaining how they work and how his strategy should be different accordingly, I ran a bunch of scenarios using the 457 as his primary acct vs. his 401k - that being the only difference. It was $15k/y due to the tax implications and penalties of taking money from the 401k instead. He argued that I wasn't correct and that advisors are just there to take your money. I just checked his account - he switched his contributions from the 401k to the 457.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Had someone go through the full 'I don't need an advisor; I can learn everything I need online' rant the other day. Went through his whole strategy and I just listened. When he was done, I asked him what people told him to do with his 457 plan (govt only ret plan) as part of his strategy. He said nothing, since he could do everything with his Roth IRA and 401k.

457 plans don't have early withdrawal penalties, so if given the choice you should always fund a 457. After explaining how they work and how his strategy should be different accordingly, I ran a bunch of scenarios using the 457 as his primary acct vs. his 401k - that being the only difference. It was $15k/y due to the tax implications and penalties of taking money from the 401k instead. He argued that I wasn't correct and that advisors are just there to take your money. I just checked his account - he switched his contributions from the 401k to the 457.
So he called you a liar then did what you suggested?

I can almost *guarantee* I could guess what party he votes for.

:homer:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It managed a C+, damn.

This is where DMG's input would be helpful. :(
I fully support this technology removing the positions of "heritage foundation policy expert" and "NYT editorial staff"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Genius

They gave ChatGPT their assignment; it spit out an answer, and then they copy/pasted that text over to 3dwriter(opens in new tab). As you can see, once you sort out the proper spacing and mount a pen onto your 3D printer, 3dwriter can write out the AI-generated text onto a sheet of paper perfectly between the margins. The tutorial video shows the process step-by-step.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke