Quantcast

And the depression has set in...

Moosey

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
because i feel like crap. I just want to sit here and do nothing.

----IF this thread is in the wrong place, can someone tell me where to move it to?----

Got outta my art class today (I'm at BYU btw) only to discover My lock had been cut, and my baby, my 2008 Rocky Mountain Slayer SS was gone... that's it. gone... I worked my ass off for two years to get that, and in minutes, it's gone. It literally makes me sick.

anywho, I'll live, but I know ya'll are all over Craigslist and Ebay, So I was hoping ya'll could keep an eye out for it. I'm in utah obviously, so It will probably travel out of Provo, and into a bordering state or something...

It's easily identifiable because theres a nice old crack in the seat tube where the clamp sits, and the top cap on the fork is a completely custom purple top cap that says something to the effect of "Demon dirt sea otter crew 2010"

The fork (fox 36 talas R) is brown but looks blackish, and the shock is an x-fusion O2 that was custom made for Brian Miller, and has a eagle or similar bird on it. Red bars, and some sick Sensus Swayze lock ons to top it off.

Here's a pic.

new suspension.jpg

I know ya'll can't do much, but It makes me feel better knowing that some people will be checking other area craigslists and such. I can't check them all...

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
that's why you use an old commuter for driving to work/school/uni
Maybe it is, but don't be a dick and rub salt in his wound. I'm sure he realizes that now and doesn't need you to pile on.

GOod luck finding your bike. I'll keep my eyes pealed for you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Did you file a police report?
Do you have renters insurance?
Do your parents have homeowners insurance?

If your parents bought it and it was locked up outside of your primary residence, i.e. your parents house, you may be able to claim in on their policy.

I am the first to discourage anyone from making a claim in our state and our company, but if my bike was stolen, even with my $1k deductible, that claim is getting filed!

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I had a bike stolen off my parents property when I was in high school. My dad filed a homeowners claim and we got cash, it wasn't much after the deductible but your bike has some decent bits on it that I am sure you didn't pay retail for so you may get enough to make a solid start towards a new rig when you take into account retail replacement value.

Good luck man, nothing has made me feel more murder'y than when my bike got stolen, busted my tail for months for that thing and somebody snagged it in seconds.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
sorry to hear about that, I hope you get your bike back. I am extremely paranoid about this happening to me, to the point where I don't even feel comfortable leaving my bike on the hitch rack while I take a piss a gas station.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
. . . it wasn't much after the deductible . . . .
A good reason to go the extra coverage with an expensive bike and cover it as a 'scheduled property' on your HO policy. Besides covering that specific item at its full replacement value, it's usually not subject to the regualarl deductible.

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
"I went away to college, rode my nice bike to class and it was stolen". Really? How shocking!

I think this thread belongs back in MTBR land Moose Boy. Hopefully that edumacation starts sticking a little better for ya!

Sorry for your loss, lessons learned, move along. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep. Good luck finding your bike.
My buddy found his last year on Craigslist. It was stolen by a career criminal who used the same email on the Craigslist ad as his facebook email, and it led the cops straight to him. He needs a new career.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
why weren't you riding a townie bike? I went to college in a pretty safe town and still rarely would ride my mtb anywhere in town where I had to lock it for an extended period of time. sorry for your loss anyway, lesson learned. get a better lock too. one of the hardened kryptonite chains with a nice padlock. easier to use than a u lock and better than a cable type.
a townie bike is a must. a beach cruiser with a basket on front will have the panties flying off. or a road bike with 28 tires and flat bars/levers swapped on if you have a bit of a distance ride.

Last edited:

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I got a decent xc bike stolen from year or so ago. Guy cut the lock in broad daylight, i paid 1500 for it but it was 6 years old. My renters policy paid full replacement cost which was much more than 1500, with only a 250 dedutable, its worth the money for a decent policy.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
My advice. File a police report. Post pictures and threads all over. Get the word out.

I had a bike stolen na 2010 951from in front of me in 2011. There's a thread om here. I filed a report and posted all over. I had homeowners pay up with a $1000 deductible nut it was still good cash

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
File a homeowner insurance claim on your parents policy ( if they have one). Contents away from their primary residence are typically covered AND if they have the replacement cost on contents endorsement on their policy it should cover the cost of replacing the bike at todays rate ( ie not depreciated). minus the deductible.

There are multiple variables involved regarding the policy and coverage, so I can't guarantee anything- but it is def. worth your time and effort....

... and yes i am an insurance nerd.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
if i ever find who stole my 60d or my t3i (2 dslr stolen in one year), i swear i´ll poke their eyes with a screwdriver out and then go to their homes and eat their kids with some chianti, and then set the whole family in fire.

thats how much thieves make me sick.

pd. (yesterday, some petty thief stole the logo from my car... it was only 3 minutes, while i bought some disposable plates for my nephews birthday.)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Speaking of home insurance, guys... check what your insurance company's policy is. Not too long ago I know of a guy that had a custom Kona trail bike stolen after his home was break and entered. It was a custom high-end version given to him directly by Kona (he did some media work for them). It turns out his insurance would probably NOT cover him because he didn't have his serial number registered with them, even though it was stolen right out of his house.

Moosey

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies.... I've spread the word every place I can think of, and am scouring online selling places all the time.

Clarification....

I know I made a mistake, yes I learned it the hard way. My commuting bike had a flat, and my art class is about an hour. I thought "I'll ride my slayer, no big deal, short class, tons of people on campus, nothing will happen." I parked my bike in the safest on campus location... still it got taken. Last time I do that...

I'm in on campus housing, so my parents homeowners insurance should cover it. Retail value of the bike (with upgrades) comes out to about $3500, so even if there is a $1000 deductible (I'm praying for a $500 or less) I'll still be a little better off. My dad is going to call and talk to our insurance company tomorrow (or today... it's late).

I haven't taken my hardtail out of my apartment since my slayer got stolen. I'm probably going to order a new lock where the company guarantees $4000 or cost of bike if the lock gets cut.

Moosey

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies.... I've spread the word every place I can think of, and am scouring online selling places all the time.

Clarification....

I know I made a mistake, yes I learned it the hard way. My commuting bike had a flat, and my art class is about an hour. I thought "I'll ride my slayer, no big deal, short class, tons of people on campus, nothing will happen." I parked my bike in the safest on campus location... still it got taken. Last time I do that...

I'm in on campus housing, so my parents homeowners insurance should cover it. Retail value of the bike (with upgrades) comes out to about $3500, so even if there is a $1000 deductible (I'm praying for a $500 or less) I'll still be a little better off. My dad is going to call and talk to our insurance company tomorrow (or today... it's late).

I haven't taken my hardtail out of my apartment since my slayer got stolen. I'm probably going to order a new lock where the company guarantees $4000 or cost of bike if the lock gets cut.