Quantcast

And the hottest truck in 2006 will be?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
stoney98 said:
and what, 5% do? Somehow europe manages to survive as a continent sans pickup trucks except for farming. How is it that we can't? I know you guys haul stuff, which is why you need a truck. I ditched my truck as soon as it was no longer practical.

The hyper-inflated pseudo-masculine culture the US has built around pickup trucks is a joke. Unless you NEED a truck, why have one? Construction workers? Right, their tools would be safer in a panel van of small cargo van, plus you can haul more in a cargo van as it in enclosed. Towing? Unless you're towing HUGE items 2-3x a week, you can suffice with say a v-6 tundra, which gets almost 2x the mileage as a v10 turbo diesel, polutes significantly less, and is not going to destroy whatever it hits in an accident. Sure, you can't do 95 up a long grade towing your 45 foot boat, but what's the point? To prove you can spend $2 eveytime you push down with you r foot?
I would love to see a tundra tow my travel trailer and still get 12-13mpg and have the tranny last longer than a year.....heh

Oh, and when I tow my trailer...I only tow at about 60-65mph

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Barbaton said:
They're more profitable because Ford makes them cheaply, which is why they fall apart within a few years... Skimp on quality to increase profit margins and you get the reputation that Ford and GM have...
There is lots of assumptions and opinions in your statement.

Fact is F150 is the best selling vehicle in the world. I dont claim to know why they sell so well, but they do. You get what you pay for, and more people pay for the F150 then anything else in the world. Ford is far from doing a lot of things right, but selling trucks is one of the things they do better then anyone else.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Fact is F150 is the best selling vehicle in the world. I dont claim to know why they sell so well, but they do. You get what you pay for, and more people pay for the F150 then anything else in the world. Ford is far from doing a lot of things right, but selling trucks is one of the things they do better then anyone else.
The Ford is an extremely comfortable truck. Blows away my Dodge as far as comfort. They push the hell out of selling their trucks...discounts and whatnot.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

my only issue is your assumption that high sales implies a quality product. power to anyone who can figure out how to sell crap to as many people as possible, but people should do their research before buying anything.

There is a lot of information from the likes of JD Power and Consumer Reports regarding the reliability of the brands we're discussing so what we say is not coming out of thin air. GM in fact announced recently that they are going to cut back so they run with no surge capacity in order to increase profit margins. Many analysts are concerned about how that decision will affect quality in the near term. I may express opinion but there are a lot of facts and statements behind them...

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
stoney98 said:
*Sorry I meant the v8 tundra for towing*
The v8 tundra's get about 18 mpg. Almost double the US makers. Towing, I'm sure it will go down, but as long as you don't make gate starting your truck/trailer your mode (and most guys do), you'll keep your average high.
Also, I'm pretty sure you guys aren't rocking the v10/12 f350 supercab, long bed, 8ft tall brick on wheels that I'd say a majority of people driving truck around the country do.
Actually the V-10 Ford is gas.....They're powerstroke diesel is a 6.0 V-8. Older ones were 7.3. My Dodge has the 5.9 Inline 6cyl, Cummins Turbo Diesel. It gets about 20mpg not loaded, and about 12-13mpg towing a 7,500lb trailer. Even with the V-8 in the Tundra, I still wouldn't tow my trailer, that truck is just not heavy enough. The trailer would push that truck all around if you had to stop quickly.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
I just want to see a practical truck (not one that looks like a tonka truck) that's a hybrid, gets good gas mileage, and can still tow heavy loads like my trailer.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
For now....

Meet the US truck buyer sized 2006/7 Toyota FTX:
Do you like that?

Eh... I am not so sure, but I think that same concept in the Tacoma size would probably be really hot.

I like their slogan... "Our toys are better then your toys"

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
N8 said:
Your answer:

I would like to see the numbers on it.....towing capacities and whatnot....even though it does look like a tonka truck. If it's classed only as a 1/2 ton truck, I wouldn't use it to tow my trailer. Once again, not heavy enough. Don't feel like doing white knuckle driving.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Freak said:
I would like to see the numbers on it.....towing capacities and whatnot....even though it does look like a tonka truck. If it's classed only as a 1/2 ton truck, I wouldn't use it to tow my trailer. Once again, not heavy enough. Don't feel like doing white knuckle driving.
The concept's a hybrid. Who knows if that'll make it into production but knowing the direction Toy's going in it probably will. I'd like to see a hybrid Taco that uses something like a burlier version the RX300H system...

edit: V8 hybrid... no particular HP/torque specs yet, it looks like.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Freak said:
From the ether:
The rumors all seem to revolve arround 700 ft/lbs of torque out of a Hino Inline diesel and a V-10 gasser. Tranny will most likely be an Aisin, which, if its anything like thier other tranny's, should be nearly bombproof. To be honest, i cant wait for them to build this, we had a tundra for a few years, best truck we ever owned. Only problem was it was only a 1/2 ton. If i was still wheeling a toyota or a lighter rig, i would have already bought another for a tow rig, but since i am in a fullsize, i need something more than a 1/2 ton to tow it arround.

I know that the San Antonio plant is on shcedual [sic], staff is being hired, and dealers are preping for them(3/4 and 1 ton trucks). The landcruisers and other 1/2 ton trucks/SUV's are also supposed to be getting a redesign for 2007 as well, and offer a 4.4L, twin turbo V8 Diesel, rated at 300hp and 430 ft/lbs or torque. Would be nice in a 1/2 ton pickup, but i sure hope its not the same motor they put in the 3/4 ton.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
N8 said:
From the ether:

If they make it in a 3/4 or 1 ton, and it gets the kind of mileage they are talking about and still have the power to tow my trailer....that would be awesome. I'm all about getting great mileage, and being safe on the road while towing!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Freak said:
If they make it in a 3/4 or 1 ton, and it gets the kind of mileage they are talking about and still have the power to tow my trailer....that would be awesome. I'm all about getting great mileage, and being safe on the road while towing!
Toy has their act together when they launch a vehicle and this one is gonna be the same. Plus, it's made in the USA.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
N8 said:
Toy has their act together when they launch a vehicle and this one is gonna be the same. Plus, it's made in the USA.
I realize the above pics are concept pics, but I really would hope that they would change the seating in it....Gotta make sure my dogs are nice and comfy in the back.....Which is one of the reasons I like the Dodge Megacab....Nice and roomy!!! And enough room for my 3 dogs.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
More from the ether:
Toyota will release versions of the full-size FTX pickup truck in 3/4 ton and 1 ton dually versions in 2006 and 2007. By 2007, there will be three engine options: a Toyota V-8 gas, an optional Toyota V-8 gas-electric hybrid, and an optional I-6 diesel engine designed and manufactured by Cummins in partnership with Toyota, based on the ISB.

According to the rumor, Toyota is very serious about penetrating the U.S. light truck market, and understands that the Cummins name is a valuable tool -- so they have been pursuing Cummins for the last eighteen months.

FTX Dimensions:
The FTX concept is about 19-feet in length, nearly seven feet in width, and six-and-one-half feet in height. The FTX is a full-fledged body-on-frame, "Super-C-Cab" 4x4 pickup truck. It has the interior room of a double cab, yet opens 90 degrees with suicide doors.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Hate to break it to some guys on here, come up North to the Oilfields..your Toyota obsession will end fast..most don't even know what a Toyota is up here..or a Nissan for that matter. Alberta is the largest consumer of Trucks in Canada, the Toy is 1) Too small, 2) Frame is too weak, 3) Underpowered, and 4) Just plain old not tough enough. These guy friggin abuse their trucks...Up here, an IFS truck is useless, Rigid axle vehicles are the still the norm up here...alot of RAM 25/3500's, F250/350's, and a few Chev's...Think Toyota will rock the world when they come out with a 3/4 ot 1 ton truck? I'd put money on it that is isn't going to happen, there are very few Toyota half tons up here and I could see it being a continuing trend. Cummins or International is a tough act to follow..the Cummins is capable of more than what it is currently putting out..a simple chip swap right now can net you 180 hp/330 ft.lb or torque. It's the only medium duty block ina truck under 1 ton right now.
Aside form this, i was quite humoured the other day when i was scoping out a Ridgeline and the sales guy tells me it will pull just as well and is just as tought at my 04 Ram 2500 with Cummins power. Who is he kidding?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
GeoffW said:
Aside form this, i was quite humoured the other day when i was scoping out a Ridgeline and the sales guy tells me it will pull just as well and is just as tought at my 04 Ram 2500 with Cummins power. Who is he kidding?

Now that's pretty funny!! Salesmen well tell you anything!!! You should have pulled out a tow strap and told him to hook up! Have a good ol tow o war with the trucks! hehe

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
GeoffW said:
Hate to break it to some guys on here, come up North to the Oilfields..
did you miss the part about the new toyota offering a cummins?

furthermore, i bet a large part of the prevalence of f250/350s etc. up north is because all your buddies have one, not because of actual reliability. no one wants to be the effeminate one in the group based on car choice. :nopity:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
GeoffW said:
Hate to break it to some guys on here, come up North to the Oilfields..your Toyota obsession will end fast..most don't even know what a Toyota is up here..or a Nissan for that matter. Alberta is the largest consumer of Trucks in Canada.Think Toyota will rock the world when they come out with a 3/4 ot 1 ton truck? I'd put money on it that is isn't going to happen, there are very few Toyota half tons up here and I could see it being a continuing trend. ?

yes, i do believe they will rock the world; thats what they are trying to do, not rock northern alberta

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Toshi said:
i bet a large part of the prevalence of f250/350s etc. up north is because all your buddies have one, not because of actual reliability. no one wants to be the effeminate one in the group based on car choice. :nopity:
I would probably disagree with that assumtion....while I do agree that today's toy's are more reliable than the Big 3's fullsize trucks, they don't have the hauling/towing capacity of the Big 3....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Freak said:
I would probably disagree with that assumtion....while I do agree that today's toy's are more reliable than the Big 3's fullsize trucks, they don't have the hauling/towing capacity of the Big 3....
i fully agree, and if i were towing consistently i'd pick up something with a cummins, duramax or powerstroke. however, i think our friend from alberta is deceiving himself with his region's hardcore image if he really thinks everyone up there tows/hauls enough stuff to _need_ 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
When I was in high school I drooled over a Ram 3500 Dually regular cab I saw for sale because I lived in NM and thought I *needed* it. You know, HS guy, New Mexico, manly, etc.

Then I grew up. Been driving sports sedans since and they're a lot more fun. :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
When I was in high school I drooled over a Ram 3500 Dually regular cab I saw for sale because I lived in NM and thought I *needed* it. You know, HS guy, New Mexico, manly, etc.

Then I grew up. Been driving sports sedans since and they're a lot more fun. :)
an es300 isn't a sports sedan :nuts: :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
well, no. that's my dad's couch on wheels that I borrow once in a while, though it looks like it's going back home this summer...
so what car are you talking about then? :D

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
so what car are you talking about then? :D
curses on you for calling out my hyperbole on the :monkey:. Most specifically I was referring to my old Nissan, which is getting a little long in the tooth and is at home anyway.

As you know I'm in the market. So far I've looked at Acura TSX, TL, Nissan Maxima/Inf G35x, IS300. Any other thoughts? Thinking front or AWD givin all the snow that exists where I usually am...

oh, and also kinda sorta considering a 4wd Tacoma...

(not meaning to derail a truck thread into a car thread... :o: )

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stoney98 said:
The red one looks hot, but if you're getting a "sports truck" why not just get a sports car? Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot about the south.
America really needs to get over its obsession with big trucks, they're f'in retarded.
As opposed to silly little sport sedans?

The south, as in Southern California?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
curses on you for calling out my hyperbole on the :monkey:. Most specifically I was referring to my old Nissan, which is getting a little long in the tooth and is at home anyway.

As you know I'm in the market. So far I've looked at Acura TSX, TL, Nissan Maxima/Inf G35x, IS300. Any other thoughts? Thinking front or AWD givin all the snow that exists where I usually am...

oh, and also kinda sorta considering a 4wd Tacoma...

(not meaning to derail a truck thread into a car thread... :o: )
the tsx is really popular here in seattle. my friend (in school) has one and it's sweet. that said, another friend (at microsoft) has a G35 sedan, non x version, and it is also a fine, fine ride. tough choice.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stoney98 said:
and what, 5% do? Somehow europe manages to survive as a continent sans pickup trucks except for farming. How is it that we can't? I know you guys haul stuff, which is why you need a truck. I ditched my truck as soon as it was no longer practical.

The hyper-inflated pseudo-masculine culture the US has built around pickup trucks is a joke. Unless you NEED a truck, why have one? Construction workers? Right, their tools would be safer in a panel van of small cargo van, plus you can haul more in a cargo van as it in enclosed. Towing? Unless you're towing HUGE items 2-3x a week, you can suffice with say a v-6 tundra, which gets almost 2x the mileage as a v10 turbo diesel, polutes significantly less, and is not going to destroy whatever it hits in an accident. Sure, you can't do 95 up a long grade towing your 45 foot boat, but what's the point? To prove you can spend $2 eveytime you push down with you r foot?
Then the same can be said about the Subi WRX STI or what ever its called. What do you need all this added performance for anyways? The posted speed limits are between 5-70 MPH. Plus Mark coming from someone who I'm sure never picked up a hammer in his life has know clue about construction. Its much easier working out of a truck than a van. Plus construction workers need to carry 20' lengths of pipe, wood, ladders, rebar etc. Its WAY more functional with a truck than a work van. Now lets go to towing, you really can't to substantial amounts of weight with a Tundra, that’s why US car makers make 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. I had a 3/4 ton Chevy with 1 ton suspension. I had to haul a full size '72 Chevy Blazer on a trailer from the Bay Area to Sac several times, plus caring loads of busted up concrete 2-4 times a month. The rear end of the truck from the weight maybe dropped the rear end of the truck 2-3". If you did that to one of your Toyotas you'd be playing "Tractor pulls". The Japanese truck manufactures are more looks than function while it’s the opposite with the US manufactures. Sorry guys these are the facts they don’t teach you in college.