Quantcast

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
People really need to stop being assholes about everything.
A snippet of Obama's op-ed piece on gun control, in the Arizona Star of all places.

[The fact is, almost all gun owners in America are highly responsible. They're our friends and neighbors. They buy their guns legally and use them safely, whether for hunting or target shooting, collection or protection. And that's something that gun-safety advocates need to accept. Likewise, advocates for gun owners should accept the awful reality that gun violence affects Americans everywhere, whether on the streets of Chicago or at a supermarket in Tucson.
http://azstarnet.com/article_011e7118-8951-5206-a878-39bfbc9dc89d.html

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Way to destroy your 7 year old account, fireball.

RE Florida, the homeboys are killing cops one after the other this year. I hate nervous cops. Fvck.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm buying an AR15 soon. Does that mean I have to join the redneck-NRA brigade?
I think protecting the rights of legal gun owners is necessary.

Stopping straw purchases and improving background checks is not going to infringe on legal gun owners.

Apparently, the NRA is just giving lip service to stopping the flow of illegal guns.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think protecting the rights of legal gun owners is necessary.

Stopping straw purchases and improving background checks is not going to infringe on legal gun owners.

Apparently, the NRA is just giving lip service to stopping the flow of illegal guns.
Gun companies fund the NRA. Gun companies make just as much money on illegal guns as they do the legal ones. The NRA has convinced legal gun owners that things such as background checks and registration will allow the government to take away their guns.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Basically, the NRA only stands to lose by compromising with someone they've repeatedly villified. Facts be damned. Even if the record shows Obama hasn't done a single thing to infringe upon or curtail gun owner rights, the NRA knows better than to drop the tired narrative of "democrats are coming after your guns", because it's worked so well for so long, and they want to keep feeding that cash cow (See Westy's post).

They clearly don't care about gun safety at all, as evidenced many times, and most recently by their support for the TN "Guns in Bars" Bill, and now again in regard to getting illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals and the criminally insane. Republicans do not undertake these types of efforts, so to say you aren't going to help get it done now (with a very moderate democrat) means they never ever will. I am all for gun onwership rights but the NRA is a pathetic excuse for an advocacy group. How do people not see this?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Gun companies fund the NRA. Gun companies make just as much money on illegal guns as they do the legal ones. The NRA has convinced legal gun owners that things such as background checks and registration will allow the government to take away their guns.
And it will take away their guns if they are a mentally unstable felon.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Basically, the NRA only stands to lose by compromising with someone they've repeatedly villified. Facts be damned. Even if the record shows Obama hasn't done a single thing to infringe upon or curtail gun owner rights, the NRA knows better than to drop the tired narrative of "democrats are coming after your guns", because it's worked so well for so long, and they want to keep feeding that cash cow (See Westy's post).

They clearly don't care about gun safety at all, as evidenced many times, and most recently by their support for the TN "Guns in Bars" Bill, and now again in regard to getting illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals and the criminally insane. Republicans do not undertake these types of efforts, so to say you aren't going to help get it done now (with a very moderate democrat) means they never ever will. I am all for gun onwership rights but the NRA is a pathetic excuse for an advocacy group. How do people not see this?
That's a very astute observation. I also think it speaks volumes when you ignore an invitation from The President.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
That's a very astute observation. I also think it speaks volumes when you ignore an invitation from The President.
Normally it would... but in this case I don't think they have much of an option since, like I said, they can only lose in the eyes of their membership and other, more important sources of funding, by participating. It also allows them to continue playing the victim if any legislation is passed without their input, and plays to the large part of their base who views the president as illegitimate.

Make no mistake, this is about the image of the NRA, not about gun safety or rights.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
It basically does all stem from fear and/or insecurity, doesn't it?

Simple question:

Is there a problem with gun violence in this country?

Clearly yes, since you've claimed the world is a "scary place," and you wouldn't need a gun to protect yourself otherwise.

Should we address that problem?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Simple question:

Is there a problem with gun violence in this country?

Clearly yes, since you've claimed the world is a "scary place," and you wouldn't need a gun to protect yourself otherwise.

You need a new title. May I suggest "Retard Whisperer"?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Gramps didn't get that far in his cute little pair based ruminations.

Maybe we can help:

I don't want the mentally unstable to be denied ownership of guns because I want to take their rights
I want the mentally unstable to be denied ownership of guns because I don't want to get shot

I don't want a ban on assault weapons because I oppose the second amendment
I want a ban on assault weapons because I don't want to get shot

I don't want to outlaw high capacity magazines because I am against hunting
I want to outlaw high capacity magazines because I don't want to get shot

watchthis

Chimp
Jan 31, 2011
Obviously the people here bashing guns and the right to own them , still appreciate their right to free speech.

This country was won by farmers and rednecks with guess what , guns , that they owned !
The right to bear arms is just as much as our right to free speech ! Our free speech came from our bering arms . Don't know i am pretty with our rights here in america , and frankly don't wish to give any of them up....

but if the time comes , you come and try and take our rights - america citizens have enough guns to be the worlds largest standing army - 10 fold - and that sir is why no one comes to our house to pick a fight -

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Obviously the people here bashing guns and the right to own them , still appreciate their right to free speech.

This country was won by farmers and rednecks with guess what , guns , that they owned !
The right to bear arms is just as much as our right to free speech ! Our free speech came from our bering arms . Don't know i am pretty with our rights here in america , and frankly don't wish to give any of them up....

but if the time comes , you come and try and take our rights - america citizens have enough guns to be the worlds largest standing army - 10 fold - and that sir is why no one comes to our house to pick a fight -
rednecks didn't exist until 1863 when west virginia was admitted to the union you fvcktard. learn your history.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nooooooo......

This country was LOST by the rednecks.

I don't want to pick a fight but I'd love to come to your house and take a written English communication test with prize money for the winner.

Are all your rednecks in arms as straight up fvcking illiterate as you are?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Normally it would... but in this case I don't think they have much of an option since, like I said, they can only lose in the eyes of their membership and other, more important sources of funding, by participating. It also allows them to continue playing the victim if any legislation is passed without their input, and plays to the large part of their base who views the president as illegitimate.

Make no mistake, this is about the image of the NRA, not about gun safety or rights.
Of the most heated arguments between libs and conservos, I find gun rights an easy discussion.

The obvious criticism of the gun nuts is their detachment from the reality of stopping illegal guns.

Libs are simply easy to laugh at:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Historically a whole lot of what is in the constitution can be traced back to what was happening in America prior and during the American Revolution. Ever read the Bill of Rights? Example: The third amendment, "Protection From the Quartering of Troops", sounds pretty weird today. Back when we were a colony the British Army used American homes like their personal Holiday Inn but without paying. The Second Amendment can be traced back to the seizure of arms during the revolution. The Brits were not taking arms away from individual citizens but from public militia's. Militias back then weren't groups of radical nut jobs but what could be best described as the local police. The second amendment was never intended to help people overcompensate for a lack of confidence.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Historically a whole lot of what is in the constitution can be traced back to what was happening in America prior and during the American Revolution. Ever read the Bill of Rights? Example: The third amendment, "Protection From the Quartering of Troops", sounds pretty weird today. Back when we were a colony the British Army used American homes like their personal Holiday Inn but without paying. The Second Amendment can be traced back to the seizure of arms during the revolution. The Brits were not taking arms away from individual citizens but from public militia's. Militias back then weren't groups of radical nut jobs but what could be best described as the local police. The second amendment was never intended to help people overcompensate for a lack of confidence.
What are you?

Some fvcking college professor n' shlt?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Of the most heated arguments between libs and conservos, I find gun rights an easy discussion.

The obvious criticism of the gun nuts is their detachment from the reality of stopping illegal guns.

I don't find the discussion particularly easy because Im undecided in a lot of ways. I've yet to identify the threshold at which a certain amount of violence just becomes an acceptable cost of allowing private gun ownership. Clearly "no violence" is an impossibility, even with an outright ban of all guns. And acquiescing freedoms for the sake of security as provided by the government has its own downsides. It's easy for me to understand why asking people to let others be responsible for their immediate security, instead of allowing them do it themselves, is met with resistance. Fact of the matter is personal autonomy is a huge part of the american psyche, however illusory that autonomy might actually be.

Guns are also useful to me. I've grown outright ill at the thought of purchasing store-bought meats. So now I've invested in some shotguns and am scouring craigslist for a $50 chest freezer so I can kill and preserve all my own organic, free range, dead fish and mammals. It's a goal of mine in 2012 to not eat one bit of grain-fed chicken or cattle, or farmed salmon... both because it turns my stomach to imagine these operations and because of the environmental devastation... which I admit is highly secondary because I've already accepted the fact that the world is headed down the sh*tter no matter what I do. Also, if anyone is breaking into my house and I get out of bed in time to get the gun and load it, I guess I'll shoot them in the face just because I can.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah that's definitely the whole story :rolleyes:

Oh look at you all fair and balanced again!! Yay for you!

Guns are also useful to me. I've grown outright ill at the thought of purchasing store-bought meats. So now I've invested in some shotguns and am scouring craigslist for a $50 chest freezer so I can kill and preserve all my own organic, free range, dead fish and mammals. It's a goal of mine in 2012 to not eat one bit of grain-fed chicken or cattle, or farmed salmon... both because it turns my stomach to imagine these operations and because of the environmental devastation... which I admit is highly secondary because I've already accepted the fact that the world is headed down the sh*tter no matter what I do. Also, if anyone is breaking into my house and I get out of bed in time to get the gun and load it, I guess I'll shoot them in the face just because I can.
What the hell does that have to do with an AR15 or my right to burnish my 9mm in a bar?

Get out of the woods and back into reality son! We's got scurry peeps wantin to take my white away!!!

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Not really an eventuality I'm worried about.

Mentally challenged with lightning bolt superpowers? Sure, that could happen, I guess.

Jesus? Not likely.
hey along with retard strength...lightning....you don't want to fvck with them...