Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just bailed from work. I'm going to spend today working on code and doing errands. I don't have to talk to anybody for that.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey and I have had a discussion about notifying me of these things. Notably, that she is not to while I am at work unless it's family. I can't keep my isht together.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This was posted by a friend in an effort to get some of the really bad information the news is reporting cleared up.

Keith said:
This article is full of misinformation, mostly due to Undersheriff Bob Gilliam. He should really get his facts straight before talking to the press and if he is unsure about something their is no need to speculate.

First, Mike was a skier, he does not snowboard.

Second, no other people were caught in the slide. Mike was the first and only person on the slope at the time of the incident.

Third, “and disregarded several warning signs to get into this area,” implies that there were additional warning signs beyond the signs that are ALWAYS posted at the ski area boundary. The signs that hundreds of people pass everyday as they exit the gates to enjoy turns in the backcountry. Maybe there were special signs up due to the holidays but I doubt it. Saying that they disregarded these signs is pure speculation. Another article quoted Bob as saying they passed through "closed" area signs... everyone raise your hands if you have ever seen closed area signs in the backcountry or any signs for that matter!

Fourth, "Gilliam didn’t identify other members of Kazanjy’s party, but said some were visiting from California, where he believes Kazanjy was from originally." This is false, nobody was visiting from California.

I think Bob just likes to get his name mentioned in the paper... get your facts straight out of respect for the victim and to prevent the confusion that this has caused.
Let alone the news saying that they were playing "Russian roulette" on the hill. They are misquoting the resort's patrol person who noted that if there haven't been slides, people get complacent and you risk playing Russian roulette, even if unintentional.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm going to go run errands that involve no thinking or talking to people, because I really am really sad and pissed off right now.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Even though he just moved here a week ago, everyone feels the effects of these incidents in this town.
Another guy I know died yesterday in the Palisades 'biling as well.
And there are going to be more this season, for sure.
Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: