Quantcast

And you think Shimano is expensive...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I was jist looking at Jenson and found this

200$ for a freaking derailleur?!?! The XTR RD is $121, XT triggers for $80, and you're set. But don't support the man, buy SRAM :rolleyes:

Not to turn this into a pissing contest of SRAM vs. Shimano, but....c'mon, $200 seems a bit outrageous.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
meh, i have 3 bikes with and XO rear der on then, i also have an extra XO long cage and a X.9
i LOVE SRAM.
oh and X.9 shifters on everything.
Blah!

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
DHS said:
meh, i have 3 bikes with and XO rear der on then, i also have an extra XO long cage and a X.9
i LOVE SRAM.
oh and X.9 shifters on everything.
Blah!

But is 80 bucks more(or 113 if you prefer non-rapid rise) per derailleur worth it? Does it shift THAT much better? :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the points of the X.0 rear derailleur that you can replace parts as they break rather than having to ditch the whole setup? I thought kidwoo was talking about this on the DH board...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
binary visions said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the points of the X.0 rear derailleur that you can replace parts as they break rather than having to ditch the whole setup? I thought kidwoo was talking about this on the DH board...
Nope.
You can take it apart, but you can't get replacement parts. :confused:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
X.O is the best....I would never even consider using shimano EVER...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
MtnbikeMike said:
Is there a reason?
Well yes, I love being able to shift through an entire cogset in one twist, great for racing. Also I often ride in mud and I find Sram and XO especially work MUCH better than shimano in muddy conditions. Also sram almost never needs adjusting cause it uses a 1:1 pull ratio while shimano uses 1:2 so it's not only harder to shift shimano but it stretches the cables cause they're being pulled with 2x the force.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
JMAC said:
Well yes, I love being able to shift through an entire cogset in one twist, great for racing. Also I often ride in mud and I find Sram and XO especially work MUCH better than shimano in muddy conditions. Also sram almost never needs adjusting cause it uses a 1:1 pull ratio while shimano uses 1:2 so it's not only harder to shift shimano but it stretches the cables cause they're being pulled with 2x the force.
This would be my main reason for only running SRAM.....the 1:1 ratio makes shifting perfect every time. I will never ever ever go back to Shimano, no matter what the cost.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh yeah you guys are talking about cost I think I got mine free, thats why I;m not complaining....

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
JMAC said:

Any word on durability?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
MtnbikeMike said:

200$ for a freaking derailleur?!?! The XTR RD is $121, XT triggers for $80, and you're set. But don't support the man, buy SRAM :rolleyes:

Not to turn this into a pissing contest of SRAM vs. Shimano, but....c'mon, $200 seems a bit outrageous.
XO is not worth it imho

but i'd never buy XTR either; XT and X9 are more then good enough for me

btw i still have an 95 XTR derailleur on one bike.
this year it will have to go :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know if there is anything special about that X0 derailleur but you can generally get them for around $130. Still expensive but not super retarded expensive.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Westy said:
I don't know if there is anything special about that X0 derailleur but you can generally get them for around $130. Still expensive but not super retarded expensive.
$130 is still pretty expensive when you can get an X-7 for $39.95 , buy 3 X-7 derailleurs with shipping for the price of 1 XO without shipping.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Instigator said:
$130 is still pretty expensive when you can get an X-7 for $39.95 , buy 3 X-7 derailleurs with shipping for the price of 1 XO without shipping.
but but but, ti, carbon/plasticy, alum parts....

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Bike parts in general have gotten to be OUTRAGEOUS in prices...

especially drivetrain components.

I remember several years ago being able to get an XT rear D' for like $30.00 USD.

What ever happend to those days?

Fricken companies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Instigator said:
I usually run X.9s but I did put an X0 on my Yeti. I don't know if it is the derailleur or if it has just been such a long time since I have had a brand new drivetrain, but the X.0 shifts so smoothly and easily it is like butter, velvet, silk even.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Westy said:
I usually run X.9s but I did put an X0 on my Yeti. I don't know if it is the derailleur or if it has just been such a long time since I have had a brand new drivetrain, but the X.0 shifts so smoothly and easily it is like butter, velvet, silk even.

is it more smooth and more easy then the x.9? anyone have a comparisoin between the x.7 and x.0? I have used the x.7 shifter and der combo on my gf's bike. i like the shifter but thought all in all it shifter slow. slow compared to any of the shimano combos i have had.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
66 said:
is it more smooth and more easy then the x.9? anyone have a comparisoin between the x.7 and x.0? I have used the x.7 shifter and der combo on my gf's bike. i like the shifter but thought all in all it shifter slow. slow compared to any of the shimano combos i have had.

Shift speed can have a lot to do with the B-screw adjustment. I don't notice and speed difference between the xo and the x9 just required effort. But the x9 set up has worn out cables and shifters that have 3 years worth of dirt and grime packed in it.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
priceseliger14 said:
I prefer Sram. I ran a 105 on my bike and it always had a little trouble and was slow. But when I got a X.0 on my Gemini i would never even think about going back to Shimano
Dude, X.0 compares with shimano XTR. Shimano 105 is total ghetto. 105 is like huffy and XTR is like lance's bike.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
MtnbikeMike said:

Yeah, Im with this guy. I couldnt bring myself pay $200 for the most breakable thing on my bike, especially since its also the most vulnerable part to getting crunched in some fast moving/tight fitting encounter with a rock. LX or XT for me, not hard to find one of the 2 on sale for around $30-$40 for the lx or $50-$60 for the xt.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Echo said:
So basically what this thread has determined is that nobody knows how to look anywhere but JensonUSA for a price :confused:

hehe...
i certainly hope not :D

the price difference bassically stays the same (even in cheaper shops) so my statement is firm. ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
So basically what this thread has determined is that nobody knows how to look anywhere but JensonUSA for a price :confused:
pricepoint.com :

SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur
Item # : 56007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSRP: $190.00
Save 32%
Price Point: $129.98

J

JRB

I should sell the one I have in my toolbox. Or trade it for a new XTR.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
MtnbikeMike said:
Any word on durability?
All good so far. I had a sram 9.0 before and the spring blew up when it got to full of mud. It was like 2 weeks old, I was pisssed but than sram sent me a new one and I also got an X.O around than. So far the X.O has worked perfect and seems very durable. Compaired to shimano, I don't know if it's better or worse...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
mattv2099 said:
Dude, X.0 compares with shimano XTR. Shimano 105 is total ghetto. 105 is like huffy and XTR is like lance's bike.
Yeah duuuude 105 is like...road bike and XTR is like mountain bike... :nuts: