Quantcast

and you thought the US was litigious? (TdF/Lance stuff)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Tenchiro said:
If that was me I'd be intimidated with Lance on my wheel like that...
no sh:t!! :D

It's lucky for the NHL that they don't play in Italy. If looking at someone like that is grounds for criminal charges, then guys like Bertruzzi would just be executed on the ice by the police!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
LordOpie said:
so Lance intimidated him within the confines of the sport... how is this a problem?
within the confines of the sport? sure, i wouldn't see a problem with the leader of the race covering the attack of a gc rider (basso, ullrich, klooden). but the problem is with the given situation. in the us, are friends of the mob allowed to confront witnesses outside of court and try to "convince" them not to testify? what makes lance so much different? because he didn't cause any harm? bs. if my memory serves me right, whatever his name is was near tears and almost abandoned the tour. that sounds like intimidation and harm/abuse if you ask me.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
How does Lance know if Ferrari told simeoni how to use EPO... Was he with Ferrari every second of every day?
This is one where I've got to go against Lance.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
reflux said:
within the confines of the sport? sure, i wouldn't see a problem with the leader of the race covering the attack of a gc rider (basso, ullrich, klooden). but the problem is with the given situation. in the us, are friends of the mob allowed to confront witnesses outside of court and try to "convince" them not to testify? what makes lance so much different? because he didn't cause any harm? bs. if my memory serves me right, whatever his name is was near tears and almost abandoned the tour. that sounds like intimidation and harm/abuse if you ask me.
Wait - so the conversation that he had was about the EPO case? BS!

He told the race leaders to drop Semioni... and I don't think any of them were testifying in the case...

Besdies, all he did was make sure that he (semioni) didn't win... and that is what happens in any RACE...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Slugman said:
Wait - so the conversation that he had was about the EPO case? BS!

He told the race leaders to drop Semioni... and I don't think any of them were testifying in the case...

Besdies, all he did was make sure that he (semioni) didn't win... and that is what happens in any RACE...
my problem is that he went way out of his way to make sure that semioni had NO chance of doing well in the race. if your last argument is true, why didn't lance and his team covered every attack in the tour? on the last stage, didn't us postal cover EVERY attack that semioni made? why him and not every other rider?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If it's true that most racers don't like Simeoni and that people were thanking Lance for bringing him back to the peloton, then the guy has pissed off a fair number of riders. He must have done something to warrant that mass dislike, right?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
reflux said:
my problem is that he went way out of his way to make sure that semioni had NO chance of doing well in the race. if your last argument is true, why didn't lance and his team covered every attack in the tour? on the last stage, didn't us postal cover EVERY attack that semioni made? why him and not every other rider?
Because he is a douche, plain and simple. If you don't like the guy, you want to make his life suck. Welcome to a sports rivalry!

Besides, if he was good enough he would have stayed out front, so aparently he wasn't good enough, and lost. Suck to be him, train harder for next year.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
reflux said:
I think it's perfectly appropriate. If I have a personal beef with someone, and I have an opportunity to shut them down (i.e. embarrass/ humiliate them) during a major event - F' yeah I'm going to do it!!!

He didn't do it to everyone b/c there weren’t personal beefs with others, and he was in a good place to win the event.

Semioni has been doing his own 'intimidation' crap, He's suing Lance and talking about doping etc. to the press. You think that he had no idea (cough intention cough) of that maybe distracting Lance? It's a mental as well as physical game - Lance was stronger on BOTH fronts.

Besides, didn’t Lance win one stage that he did not have to win just b/c his buddy wasn’t going to win? Remember that sprint?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Slugman said:
I think it's perfectly appropriate. If I have a personal beef with someone, and I have an opportunity to shut them down (i.e. embarrass/ humiliate them) during a major event - F' yeah I'm going to do it!!!

He didn't do it to everyone b/c there weren’t personal beefs with others, and he was in a good place to win the event.

Semioni has been doing his own 'intimidation' crap, He's suing Lance and talking about doping etc. to the press. You think that he had no idea (cough intention cough) of that maybe distracting Lance? It's a mental as well as physical game - Lance was stronger on BOTH fronts.

Besides, didn’t Lance win one stage that he did not have to win just b/c his buddy wasn’t going to win? Remember that sprint?
Slug,

You've definitely got a great point, Lance flat out did out perform Sem... this year. I love a great rivalry, nothing makes a sport more interesting to watch. Hell, I'm sad Lakers/Kings games will never be the same. I still do have a problem with the fact that Lance embarrasssed (sp?) Sem... several times, especially with him being such a large part of a trial indirectly involving Lance (mmm, run-on sentence...). If Lance appears to be such a gracious racer and person in front of the media, why couldn't he let Sem... be when it came to the last stage? Also, if so much of the peloton hated Sem..., why didn't they play a larger part in this?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Here we go again,

French prosecutors open Armstrong probe
By Agence France Presse
This report filed January 20, 2005

French prosecutors have opened an investigation into the doping allegations against six-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong that were originally outlined in the book "L.A. Confidential - Les Secrets de Lance Armstrong."

Officials were quoted in Thursday's edition of Le Parisien that the investigation stems from a magistrate's interview with Armstrong's former Irish soigneur Emma O'Reilly, who was reported to have confirmed the allegations of the Texan using the banned blood booster EPO (erythropoietin) she made in the book, written by Sunday Times of London sports journalist David Walsh and former L'Equipe writer Pierre Ballester. Thus far, the book has only been published in France.

Armstrong denies any wrongdoing and has embarked on a multi-front legal battle against the authors and publishers of the book.

He is suing the authors for defamation, claiming two million euros in damages. Armstrong recently scored a victory in British courts, when a judge ruled against the Sunday Times defense strategy. The case in the U.K. does not involve the book itself, but rather a newspaper account of the charges it contains. The article, which appeared in the Sunday Times, was not written by Walsh or Ballester.

Armstrong is also involved in an ongoing legal dispute with his U.S. insurers over a $5 million bonus the company has withheld since "L.A. Confidential" was published.

"This preliminary enquiry has only just begun and it would be premature to draw any conclusions, one way or another," the Annecy prosecutors' office told Le Parisien.

The enquiry was transferred to Annecy from the Paris office which looked into the Cofidis scandal last year which led to the suspension of Britain's world time-trial champion David Millar.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wasn't he tested? And tested again? And tested some more? And after the testing was done, they tested him? And tested anyone who even breathed the same air as him?

Wouldn't they have noticed if he was using banned substances?

I simply don't get it. :confused:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
And tested, and tested, and tested, and tested.

And tested the day his ex-wife gave birth.

And tested, and tested.

You get the point. The french are just mad that an American has beaten them at there own game. And he doesn't live in frenchy in the offseason or while he is training. Because Spain is better.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
reflux said:
whatever his name is was near tears and almost abandoned the tour. that sounds like intimidation and harm/abuse if you ask me.
That sounds like a gigantic pussy to me.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
reflux said:
Um... that is NOTHING like your Mob comparison.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Just when you think you've already heard the height of pussy-dom... That's just pathetic. If Simeoni had dropped Lance, would they still be claiming "intimidation"? Suck it up and get into better shape next year, sweetie.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bmxr said:
Just when you think you've already heard the height of pussy-dom... That's just pathetic. If Simeoni had dropped Lance, would they still be claiming "intimidation"? Suck it up and get into better shape next year, sweetie.
You guys are responding to comments that are five or six months old... :eviltongu

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
You guys are responding to comments that are five or six months old... :eviltongu
Damn you and your inane "observations..."

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I :heart: the word "litigious"

:D

-S.S.-
:stupid:
I also love that they will test Lance until they find someway to get away with trashing up a test. He is a freak, no doubt, but I think it's becasue he came back from cancer with the body of a 3rd grader and he trained it well. What's funny is how tired most are from the race and he's rolling around bitch slapping peeps and chatting it up. His jersey should say "Fear me, bitches". I don't remember who he ran down in the Tour, but he did. Sue him, and he will chase you, no doubt.