Quantcast

And you thought this forum was bad.....

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You should try using some tech forums sometime.

I gave this one a try:

www.geekvillage.com

But holy crap, there is a rule in that place for every keystroke you type. It's impossible to follow them all, and many of the are banning offenses.

My personal favorite site:

www.sitepoint.com

I like it but the mods manage nitpick certain issues to death. For example, there is a rule "No self promotion is allowed", IE no spam. That's fine but here is an example of how they enforce that rule:

Me:
"I desperately need this super niche script to save my Web business"

Dude:
"I happen to have created this very same script and its only 99 cents".

OK - so even though Dude had exactly what I was looking for, he wasn't allowed to mention it - that post got deleted. However if he had said:

Dude:
"My cousin Jed made that script and it's only 99 cents!"

That's perfectly OK because its not self promotion. That is the degree to which they moderate over there with a freakin microscope. One time I simply suggested that maybe the mods were not in tune with what's going on with the community and I was accused of making "personal attacks".

www.techimo.com

I got a PM from the owner of that site warning me not to type **** - even though the filter changed it anyway.

Silly Internet.....

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Personally this is the easiest forum site to navigate. All the other bike ones like Pinkbike and MTBR are just kind of hard. I think we should make a bike review section on here. I dont believe they have any of the frames such as Evil or Soul Cycles on MTBR. Just an idea.

J

JRB

meh - I never thought it was bad. Echo is a nazi, true (kidding john) and IAB is a hateful person (kidding about that too) and Ridemonkey is a know it all that apparently sucks at Halo (kidding one last time) but all in all, it's safe for work (well mostly, sorry ben) and most folks are real cool. Since I am the one that usually ruins it for people, that's not even an issue for me. I guess it goes without saying, thanks guys. :thumb:

*this is a suck ass post, but I appreciate the efforts that are put forth.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Haha this site rocks, its like a "boarder forum". (as in a boarder town) ;)

Ridemonkey said:
You should try using some tech forums sometime.

I got a PM from the owner of that site warning me not to type **** - even though the filter changed it anyway.

Silly Internet.....

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
The net sure has turned into a bunch of little sissies hasn't it RM?

Pretty sad.

When I wanna say **** .. I'll say ****! lol

We've got first amendment rights for a ****in reason !

Bunch of lame wussies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still think you should provide random thread/post deletion and random 24 hour bannings just to create drama.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Ridemonkey, This is a great forum. Navigating is easy, and there are some good debates with no flame wars. Plus it's filled with great people that help out the biking community when they need it. What else can you ask for?

J

JRB

Westy said:
I still think you should provide random thread/post deletion and random 24 hour bannings just to create drama.
:stupid: start with Westy.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
this forum together with www.downhill-board.com (its german so ignore it) are the best bike related forums i know.
good job Ridemonkies! You make this place worthwhile

and for the geekvillage; i think these rules are just there to limit the community to real geeks just ignore them and get banned repeatedly :D

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
LOL yeah and they are ALWAYS deleting threads that break those rules in one way or another. Can you imagine peeps actually reading that whole page?
Yes I can. Will you give us the abridged version??? :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
UiUiUiUi said:
just to many fricken rules to follow them all
it hurts my eyes to read all this badly formatted text.
Isn't that the truth. The only thing that hurt's my eyes worse than their "rules" page is the forum and it's color's itself. I want those 5 minutes of my life back. :mumble:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Hahaha I used to "mentor" (we weren't called mods before) on sitepoint ages ago. It wasn't that bad 2 or so years ago. I ended up walking away because of my job etc but wow...glad I don't anymore, that sounds like a lot of work to MOD.

I visit here more than most. Easy to use and I know a few people in PNW so I keep updated on whats going on. I just generally avoid the lounge and any post that starts with respect :)