Quantcast

And you tought unicycles were uncool?

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Cool vid. Just everytime i see someone on a unicycle i automatically start playing circus music in my head. "Dun dun dodo do do do do"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I respect that realm for it's skill but think of it kind of like figure skating. It's really difficult and requires tremendous balance, dedication and talent. No matter how good you get however, it's still pretty gay™

I bet the picnic table frame spin thing gets the chicks though. That may be the ultimate party trick indeed.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
You guys would be surprised how popular the whole "unicycle freeride scene" is getting. My school has an Extreme Unicycle Club, with maybe 15 guys, all riding the Chris Holm signature model Norco unicycle. Kinda funny, but also kinda cool.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
damn.... the one pedal stall where the guy lets the seat and forks rotate down and around 360 was nuts. im surprised i havent seen anyone with say, a dorado, a 24", a seat and some discs. some of those landings looked like spine tinglers.

oh and by the way, they look dorky as hell :D some sure did start to look like pogo sticks

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
thats a pretty cool vid. i could never do some of those things. hell i'd buy the video if it came out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think unicycle grinding just might be cooler than droupout grinding on mtbs :D

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
hehe, i saw some unicyclers on a local trail climbin logs and stuff. I yelled out "you guys left half your bikes back at the car!" and they all looked at me like i just told them they were all fat and ugly

remi

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
VA, in the snow
Well yeah, maybe uncool isn't appropriate ... un-freeride-oriented ?

Like everyone, I wish I could pul a pedal stall to 360 uni to drop off .... just 'cause that IS the party trick .... anybody half-drunk/hangover sees you doing that ... they won't understand and ask for more.

I agree, the rest of it is somewhere between dorky and "nah ... I don't wanna do that."

The video is out ... if some :monkey: has $20 of disposable income ....

http://www.sykoproductions.com/

It's advertised on the site ... al I remember is $20, 32min ....

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by SebringMGB
hehe, i saw some unicyclers on a local trail climbin logs and stuff. I yelled out "you guys left half your bikes back at the car!" and they all looked at me like i just told them they were all fat and ugly

Yeah i have roadies yell that same kind dumb crap at me when i ride my brooklyn urban. :rolleyes::rolleyes: They also say **** like "hey u got enough travel there?". Some people just need a good beating IMO.

You all should really try and learn riding a uni. Once you get it right it's one of the most rewarding feelings.

Unis rock.

Christian -

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
How come whatever I do is cool and whatever someone else does is gay? :confused:

Why not just appreciate that it is difficult to do, took tons of practice to master and is somebody else's adrenaline outlet? Some people always have to be bustin' on other people's gig. :rolleyes:

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
How come whatever I do is cool and whatever someone else does is gay? :confused:

Why not just appreciate that it is difficult to do, took tons of practice to master and is somebody else's adrenaline outlet? Some people always have to be bustin' on other people's gig. :rolleyes:
THANK YOU for saying what i wanted to say, but politely :thumb: :D

Those guys are absolutely SICK. Most of em are dropping stuff OFF the uni's seat. that's gotta be one the hardest things to do!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's a pretty sweet vid. One of those things that I have zero desire to try myself but it's cool watching other people do it.

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Originally posted by remi
Well yeah, maybe uncool isn't appropriate ... un-freeride-oriented ?

Like everyone, I wish I could pul a pedal stall to 360 uni to drop off .... just 'cause that IS the party trick .... anybody half-drunk/hangover sees you doing that ... they won't understand and ask for more.

I agree, the rest of it is somewhere between dorky and "nah ... I don't wanna do that."

The video is out ... if some :monkey: has $20 of disposable income ....

http://www.sykoproductions.com/

It's advertised on the site ... al I remember is $20, 32min ....
The video better have circus music playing for the whole thing.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by llkoolkeg

Exactly!

Just because you dont do it, doenst mean its not cool. They odviously think its cool, and thats why they do it. Looks like fun too!

What about all the people that think downhillilng is "gay?"

EDIT: One more thing, Kris Holm is a sponsored rider, and is in multiple videos. When was the last time YOU got paid to ride? And for some reason, I cant recall ever seeing anyone here in a pro video..........

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I mountain unicycle or mUni as some of the community refer to it, I also mountain bike. Both are fun in their own way. People who disrespect unicyclist have no idea of the time, dedication, and skill it takes to ride a unicycle......not to mention what it takes to ride one down a rugged trail or to do trials on it.
I find that most people who give me a hard time are simply threatened by the fact that I am doing something that they cannot. However I must say that 99% of people are very excited and want to talk about the sport when they see me coming down the trail or street on one wheel.
I see it as nothing more that branching out into a different realm of cycling. Some people mountain bike and are also roadies b/c they love bikes that much........ I mountain bike and unicycle b/c I love bikes that much, it's really no different.

As for the film Universe2.......I highly recommend it. It will show you a side of unicycling you never knew existed!

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Actually, they looked at you like that b/c it wasn't very original........we hear it all the damn time so it gets old.

When people ask me where my other wheel is I tell them it's on my other unicycle ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Or maybe they have already heard that a few hundred times before and where shocked at your lack of originality?

EDIT: ZOD beat me to it... so hard to post an original thought.

Unicylers have mad skills most of you fat hacks can't even dream of. ;)

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
freeride unicyclers are cool like hardcore razor scooter riders.

not to say they dont have alot of skill but unicycling wasnt cool when i was in 4th grade when i learned how, and its still not cool.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike

not to say they dont have alot of skill but unicycling wasnt cool when i was in 4th grade when i learned how, and its still not cool.
Who said anything about cool?? I could care less if you think it's cool or not. I hope you don't ride a bike to be cool? I ride a uni because it's a challenge......more of a challenge than mountain biking.
I'm glad that you admit it takes skill......the 4th grade was a long time ago and you were riding in the gym.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
While I appreciate the effort it must have taken to learn those skills I just can't take a guy seriously when he's grabbing his nuts and jumping around.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Acadian
MMike: As soon as I watched the vid I though of you...I know how much you like unis...

Kidwoo: have you seen the dude at NorthStar on a uni? FOKING nuts I tell ya...
You probably saw Loyd. That guy's a nut. You should see some of the jib trails he's built up in truckee. Bring a bike you can climb on and I'll show you. He rides them on his uni and his bike. Unis look really painful. Making a trick rewards you by giving your nuts something to jar against. To each his own.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by zod
Who said anything about cool?? I could care less if you think it's cool or not. I hope you don't ride a bike to be cool? I ride a uni because it's a challenge......more of a challenge than mountain biking.
I'm glad that you admit it takes skill......the 4th grade was a long time ago and you were riding in the gym.

read the thread title smart guy

and yeah 4th grade was in the gym, but 5th was riding down the hills at the elementry school.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
read the thread title smart guy
Oh yea, my bad.... I guess I should respect your opinion at least you can actually unicycle unlike most of the people expressing their opinions

5th was riding down the hills at the elementry school.
Wow Cool! :D :p

Originally posted by crashing_sux
I just can't take a guy seriously when he's grabbing his nuts and jumping around.
:rolleyes: Ahh yes, it's a common part of unicycling.....self gratification....
Actually the front of our seat has a small handle on it, it acts as a handle bar sort of.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

Ahh, well, since you ARE the ultimate judge on what is "cool", I have a great deal of respect :rolleyes: for your opinion.

Closeminded people piss me off. :angry:

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by binary visions
Ahh, well, since you ARE the ultimate judge on what is "cool", I have a great deal of respect :rolleyes: for your opinion.

Closeminded people piss me off. :angry:

oh im sorry i have a different opinion then you. Ill try to never do that again :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
oh im sorry i have a different opinion then you. Ill try to never do that again :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yep, that's what I was saying, too, that you shouldn't have a different opinion.