Quantcast

Andorra 2022

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
say what you will about the track as a whole but that was good racing
Other than the weird bridges I still don't get what the whingeing was about. The world's fastest wildest DH racers competing on a fast loose track looks fuckin awesome

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Other than the weird bridges I still don't get what the whingeing was about. The world's fastest wildest DH racers competing on a fast loose track looks fuckin awesome
im generally ok with bridges on race courses, but you've gotta have brain damage to set them up as a speed check going straight into the finish zone

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
awesome race to watch. you could tell gwin was a bit pissed at the end of the run and jesus indeed would not have liked his language when he had to immediately give up the hot seat.

the way the top guys threaded that rock garden was nuts, as was iles's huck into the padding at the end and loris's huck off the stump gap.

also, goldstone was a second faster than loris?!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Which is it Lad’s? Was not expecting this.

Avy
well, the brits do, and I've heard it referenced as such by the spanish and at times by italians. Maybe it would have been safer to say "many european cycling dorks refer to it as such".

ironically, in French it can also mean "lemon". As in "that bike I bought turned out to be a real lemon". But it's also a generic term for a water bottle (like a canteen).

anyways, what a race... slept through the womens race, and I'm waiting for the replay to be posted, but nice to see Valli finally get her first W. though I'm wondering what happened to Myriam...

Also, good to see Gwin, Loris and Loic back to full fighting form. The end of the season looks to be a highly entertaining one! bring it on!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
who was it earlier this week that said the race will be decided on the bridges?
Kerr and co were saying that in their quali day video I think. Said the race would be won or lost on the bridges, and it was worth taking to the time to figure out lines and practice them. probably more important than anywhere else.

having now watched the race, I think they were 100% correct.
awesome race to watch. you could tell gwin was a bit pissed at the end of the run and jesus indeed would not have liked his language when he had to immediately give up the hot seat.
I think it was in the pre-race Downtime podcast that Neko said Gwin was always critiquing his runs in the post-ride interviews. Even when he'd destroyed the field by 4+ seconds, he was always pointing out where he'd gone wrong. Apparently he needed a little coaching to be a little more positive in the interviews, but such is his desire to win that he's always looking for those extra seconds...

I found it interesting that he said it was hard to find the right balance between pushing too hard, and not pushing enough. That there is a place where you can be pushing just enough... I mean, when you say it out loud, it makes sense, but I always thought these guys are pushing as hard as they can, all the time in their finals runs...
also, goldstone was a second faster than loris?!
Him and Finn grew up as bike park rats... berms, dust and high speed groomers are in their DNA!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I found it interesting that he said it was hard to find the right balance between pushing too hard, and not pushing enough. That there is a place where you can be pushing just enough... I mean, when you say it out loud, it makes sense, but I always thought these guys are pushing as hard as they can, all the time in their finals runs
Nico when dominating WC DH used to say he'd be trying to ride at 90% as 100% for him was too much

UnusualBread

Chimp
Nov 2, 2020
Awesome racing. These low traction conditions really show off the riders skills and how well the bikes are working (especially the Ohlins, spesh boys).

But JFC I could barely watch that bridge section, so sketchy and unnecessary imo.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No shit?
Now watch the race!
Well you can't at first say something that suggests you don't understand an idea and then go "no shit" when someone explains it to you.

Also the race has downtime moments.

Still good to see Rock Jesus back. Though he did seem a bit unhappy at his mistakes

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd trust the people who actually race the track over people who have seen it online about the track having issues.

Though listening to some interviews it seems everyone agrees it's a great track to ride but a bad track to race since at WC race speeds the risk of unexpected crashing is too high and the track is super fast so the crashes tend to be more serious.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I'd trust the people who actually race the track over people who have seen it online about the track having issues.

Though listening to some interviews it seems everyone agrees it's a great track to ride but a bad track to race since at WC race speeds the risk of unexpected crashing is too high and the track is super fast so the crashes tend to be more serious.
„fuck the riders, i wanna get entertained“

Gary, internet expert anti all the things

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It did seem like the rubbery bridge turns was deciding the race until the top dudes hit the course, so thankfully it at least didn't decide the podium.

Walkers crash was scary. Surprised he didn't break an ankle.

Finn is hands down my favorite rider to watch now that he can stay vertical for a full run.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Max's way of comforting Myriam was a total class act. Hats off for him.
I just watched the run and listened to their interaction. She said she hadn't felt so bad in a long time to which he answered, "no no, you were up, you were in green. with everything that happened this week, that was awesome". Then she said she thrown the overall, and he responded that no, she was going to get points, that she's doing great this year.

Yeah, I agree, he's a total class act...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Impressive but probably not an equivalent comparison as the track was probably significantly more blown out between their two runs.
(I've been listening to too many podcasts and watching too many trackwalk videos this week),
In one of the quali day videos (I think it was FullAttack), Amaury was saying that by the time Sr. men are done race-day practice, there isn't really much more traffic on the track to change it too much. There's only the women (their practice happens after junior races) and since it's just 15, it's not too bad. So they can really dial in their lines on race day. FWIW.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
where did bruni pull that time back from finn?
Finn having to to a massive push up to get back behind his bars in the middle there would have slowed him down a bit. Stuffs me how he rode out of that or how Eddie stayed on his bike on the huck down further.

Not on Fox, so no! :D
Oooh... Both senior podiums topped with Boxxers. What year is it?

One of the most edge of the seat races I've watched in a long time. Not because of the close splits (when there were splits) but because of the massive potential for it to go wrong the whole way down. Scary shit, but awesome viewing.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Finn having to to a massive push up to get back behind his bars in the middle there would have slowed him down a bit. Stuffs me how he rode out of that or how Eddie stayed on his bike on the huck down further.
Masters lost his tooth trying to save the bucking bronco, according to his Instagram.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Impressive but probably not an equivalent comparison as the track was probably significantly more blown out between their two runs.
My memory of riding briefly in CA at Northstar was that riding earlier in the day was way less sketch than later because of the morning dew. I remember that they literally had a sprinkler system running in the afternoon on the flow/jump trail and the tech trails got crazy loose

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Masters lost his tooth trying to save the bucking bronco, according to his Instagram.
can't believe walker's leg wasn't effed up after his wreck
My memory of riding briefly in CA at Northstar was that riding earlier in the day was way less sketch than later because of the morning dew. I remember that they literally had a sprinkler system running in the afternoon on the flow/jump trail and the tech trails got crazy loose
how's your collarbone man?