Quantcast

Android > iPhone reason #240

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Double Twist vs. iTunes

One of the issues I have with Apple is that they require you to give them tons of personal information to use their services. This falls in line with my issues with Facebook vs. Google+, regarding usage vs. user level data scraping. When you are using an iPod that is 5 years old, somehow Apple needs to constantly update the device software to work with iTunes. To get the updates you need to accept another TAC agreement from the company.

I also have issues with the cost of music downloads. I won't illegally d/l music because I don't want to deal with the potential hassles from the record labels. At $.99 per download (for the cheap stuff), Apple is bending you over. Amazon only charges $.69 per download, with some popular stuff being $1.29.

The reason this is important is because it's a PITA to get Amazon music uploaded into your iTunes. It's a one way street of ease; you can buy music and integrate it easily, but bringing taking that music out of iTunes is a pain. You can't transfer playlists and even Google music is pretty limited.

In comes Double Twist:

- Double twist is a free music app available for the droid phones.
- It has an identical look/feel to iTunes, but links to Amazon for music downloads.
- Amazon downloads are usually $.30 cheaper than iTunes.
- It doesn't have the huge amount of unnecessary isht that iTunes requires you to d/l, so it's a much smaller program on your PC.
- You don't need to give Double Twist huge amounts of your personal information.
- I'm not limited to the number of PC's I can sync my music to (from what I can tell). I am currently able to sync through all of my PC's to my central HD.
- I can sync via my WiFi from anywhere in my house - this allows me to sync both of our phones while they charge over night.
- I can sync my iPod via Double Twist

All of the upsides of iTunes with none of the downsides. Why haven't more people caught onto this yet?

/Rant

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not bad, but my connection skips and the free version's ads are very annoying and incongruent to what i am listening to.
i had an early invite, but once i saw that i needed to pay to use it on my phone, i honestly lost interest. haven't touched it since

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
i had an early invite, but once i saw that i needed to pay to use it on my phone, i honestly lost interest. haven't touched it since
Agreed. Signed up and is interesting on the computer. But they lost me at the 'pay for mobile service' step.

I don't really buy all that much music to care about 30 cents a song for the convenience and really prefer to just buy the album. /firstworldproblems.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
music as a product is dead.

music is now a service.
There are a ton of people buying music that would say otherwise. But yea, music as a service has come up and will probably always be there, but so will buying music, the digital and physical kinds.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Call me old school, but there's something to be said for a carefully crafted music library.
ok.... old school

My collection is pretty eclectic. My wife hates how my road trip playlist ranges from club/trance to johny cash.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Agreed. Signed up and is interesting on the computer. But they lost me at the 'pay for mobile service' step.

I don't really buy all that much music to care about 30 cents a song for the convenience and really prefer to just buy the album. /firstworldproblems.
another part of what i didn't like for the freeby is that you have to download and install an exe. who does that anymore? google music rules because its all web based, only install is so you can synch your music folder.

There are a ton of people buying music that would say otherwise. But yea, music as a service has come up and will probably always be there, but so will buying music, the digital and physical kinds.
and there's millions of people downloading music for free who say otherwise.

part of the other problem with spotify is that some of the obscure music from indie labels isn't available.

thankfully, you can still download crucial units entire discography from their website.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm realizing more and more that I don't like music very much.
Pandora comedy station is pretty good.
Books on tape make longer trips bearable.
NPR for short trips.
Other than that, silence is golden.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm realizing more and more that I don't like music very much.
Pandora comedy station is pretty good.
Books on tape make longer trips bearable.
NPR for short trips.
Other than that, silence is golden.
What do you dance to, then?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/McAfee-Q2-2011-Threats-Report-bw-1148060752.html?x=0&.v=1

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- McAfee today released the McAfee Threats Report: Second Quarter 2011, showing that the amount of malware targeted at Android devices jumped 76 percent since last quarter, to become the most attacked mobile operating system. 2011 has also resulted in the busiest ever first half-year in malware history, including a first-ever appearance of Mac fake AV and a significant uptick in rootkits, suggesting that McAfee’s comprehensive malware “zoo” collection will reach a record 75 million samples by the year’s end.

“This year we’ve seen record-breaking numbers of malware, especially on mobile devices, where the uptick is in direct correlation to popularity,” said Vincent Weafer, senior vice president of McAfee Labs. “Overall attacks are becoming more stealth and more sophisticated, suggesting that we could see attacks that remain unnoticed for longer periods of time. High-profile hacktivist groups have also changed the landscape by drawing a line between attacks for personal gain and attacks meant to send a message.”

The report also details specific activity shaping the way cybercriminals operate, such as cybercrime “pricebooks” that determine the going rate for large email address lists, and acts of hacktivism and cyberwar.

2011 On Track to Reach Record “Malware Zoo”

With an approximate 12 million unique samples for the first half of 2011, a 22 percent increase over 2010, this has been the busiest first half-year in malware history. With the addition of Q2’s numbers, the grand total of total malware samples in McAfee’s database has reached approximately 65 million, and McAfee researchers estimate that this “Malware Zoo” will reach at least 75 million samples by the year’s end.

Android Nabs Top Spot for Most Mobile Malware

With the vast amount of personal and business data now found on user’s mobile phones, mobile malware is steadily increasing, often mimicking the same code as PC-based threats. In the second quarter of 2011, Android OS-based malware surpassed Symbian OS for the most popular target for mobile malware developers. While Symbian OS and Java ME remain the most targeted to date, the rapid rise in Android malware in Q2 indicates that the platform could become an increasing target for cybercriminals – affecting everything from calendar apps, to comedy apps to SMS messages to a fake Angry Birds updates.

Fake Anti-Virus for Apple, Rootkits and Stealth Malware Reach New Terrain

There are more Mac users than ever before, and as organizations increasingly adopt Macs for business use, Apple now has become more a target for malware authors. Though historically the Apple platform has been unaffected by fake anti-virus (fake AV) software, activity in Q2 indicates that it is now being affected. Although this type of fake AV is the first of its kind, McAfee Labs does expect fake AV in general will drop off over time.

Another malware category that is demonstrating recent steady growth is stealth malware. The tactic of hiding malware in a rootkit is used by cybercriminals to make malware stealthier and more persistent, and has seen this type of attack gain in prominence over the past year, with high-profile attacks such as Stuxnet. Stealth malware has increased more rapidly in the last six months than in any previous period, up almost 38 percent over 2010.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
and there's millions of people downloading music for free who say otherwise.

part of the other problem with spotify is that some of the obscure music from indie labels isn't available.

thankfully, you can still download crucial units entire discography from their website.
What I'm saying is that because people are downloading doesn't mean that there aren't others who will always gladly pay. Free music will always have a place, much like radio is "free", but although new tech may shift the balance it doesn't mean people won't continue pay for music or pay to support the artists that create it.

Indie bands and smaller artists don't use Spotify because it's unclear what the benefit to them is. I'm also unclear of how sustainable they are. We've all seen these companies come and go.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I definitely think we should support artists!! I put a small little magnet on the back of my car that says "Support Artists". Sure, I bought the $2.99 magnet from a gas station and none of the proceeds go to musicians, and I download/stream music illegally, but having a small magnet on the back of my car shows that I really, truly do care.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
And if I'm tied to the cloud, how can I listed to my music?

I'm still clinging to this stupid Windows 6.5 platform Sunsung Omnia II. It has sucked until I recently figured out how to sync it with Google Sync. That made life shlt tons easer.

But still for some reason, my windows phone won't sync any windows music from my windows computer. Probably a good thing since the battery lasts about as long as it takes to turn the damn thing on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I definitely think we should support artists!! I put a small little magnet on the back of my car that says "Support Artists". Sure, I bought the $2.99 magnet from a gas station and none of the proceeds go to musicians, and I download/stream music illegally, but having a small magnet on the back of my car shows that I really, truly do care.
:stupid:

Same goes for all my political beliefs, too. If it doesn't fit on a magnet/sticker, I don't believe it.