Quantcast

Angel Fire Burner :: 12-hour Endurance Downhill Race :: Sponsored by Red Bull

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Alright I re-birthed an old thread about this race, but really I feel it deserves it's OWN thread with a proper title and some info to get people stoked about going. Check it:

September 20th, 2008 from 9:00am - 9:00pm, Angel Fire Resort, NM (site of the only North American World Cup in 2005) will play host to a THREE TRACK 12-HOUR ENDURANCE DOWNHILL EVENT of what will become epic proportions! Red Bull has signed on as title sponsor and they're shooting for some big guns to get out and rock the mountain down. You got questions? I probably have answers, but if you wanna know the basic goods head over to the website:

http://www.angelfireburner.com/

Seriously, this beyatch is fixin to be off the chain. Ya'll best be there.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
From the racemsc.com forums:

"Also there will be no lights to rent down here so if you paln on running the last two to three hours of the event you better have a heck of a good lighting system or you'll not be allowed up the lift"

Last edited:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
You sir have never ridden at night with a good light. I am so bummed I can't make this race. The last few hours in the dark are the ones I would look forward to the most.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
From the racemsc.com forums:

"Also there will be no lights to rent down here so if you paln on running the last two to three hours of the event you better have a heck of a good lighting system or you'll not be allowed up the lift"
Yeah it sucks the lighting sponsor pulled out at the last minute (like, yesterday) for this event... boo hiss for sure. I was stoked too! I checked out their product line and was considering a purchase, not sure if I'll be doing that now. Anyhow, I've put in an email with Angel Fire to see if they can pull together something to help this cause. It's last minute so probably no go, but you never know!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just got a post over on the RaceMSC.com forums from Dave at Angel Fire, looks like they've got it all worked out!

ddekema said:
Word from here at the resort--

Red Bull's event partner Jet Lites had a change of ownership very recently and their transition combined with Interbike swamped them to the point they couldn't fulfill the previous ownership's commitment.

We DO have backup with NiteRider and Princeton Tec and are planning to have lights for sale and lights for rental/demo onsite here. Our goal with the email that went out today is only to tell as many riders that do have lights to bring them, because there could be high demand on the day of registration.

Thanks!
Dave Dekema

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The more I read about this...the more I'm pissed I have to head back to WI for an undisclosed event. Or its my sister's wedding for those who know me.

But I can post about it here! Over on mtbr my future brother-in-law lurks a lot and he'll see me rip on him! Nick if you wandered over here, it wasn't your fault, I'm sure my sister picked the date:poster_oops:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
damn i wish i was going! i would have even held a flashlight on one corner! :D
It would have been suh-weet to have you there, mang. I'm sure I owe you a beer or ten for all the stuff you've rocked for the team, Nema style.

And what's this about you holding a flashlight? I'dda forced you to race, cupcake, and you and me we'd take at least 2nd in the Expert Duo class! Yeah yeah, nevermind that there's only one other team signed up right now... :D

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Will the mountain be open for non-racers? I was going to wrench bikes for a couple friends and grab runs here and there...
I don't think so. We have two girl racers riding down with us but they can't afford to race, so they are not even taking bikes because we heard the mountain is going to be totally shut down during the race. But on Sunday, you can ride all day for half price.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
it mentions on the events website that they might cap the amount of riders, does any one know if this is really gonna happen, i missed pre-reg, and am not getting there till tommorw

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I wonder how many bikes were lost during the 12 hours? 20+ runs at Angel fire is going to be brutal on equipment.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Top five solo pro riders:

1. Waylon Smith (Privateering)
2. Chris Boice (Yeti/Fox)
3. Willy Warren (Kona)
4. Joey Schusler (Yeti/Fox)
5. Dante Harmony (Zumbi/All Mountain Cyclery)

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Um yeah, I'm dumbfounded and amazed on what went down yesterday! A very Long Long day...I pissed like 15 times off the chairlift, Boice changed a tire on the lift, lots of other bike parts were repaired on the lift, did some yoga on the lift, got far too comfortable on the lift! My bike survived somehow. Probably the craziest thing i've ever seen and done! Well done Smith, Boice and Warren, and everyone else...burrrly!!!

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
the burner was awesome! CJ Sports Timing is the best i was impressed all year with their organization but keeping the burner straight with posted updates. wow!

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
The hardest thing I have ever done, think I slept through the last 2 laps. got 25 in... if anyone has pics of #12, solo pro let me know.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Wow, that race looks insane!! How did the three different course dealio work?
One was the world cup course which was the fastest by a couple of minutes. The second was a new DH course which was slower than the World Cup but was still a minute or two faster than the Super D course. And the third was the super D course which was the slowest, but also less tiring and easier on the bike and body. Besides the first run where everyone did the Super D, you could ride any of the three courses.

I was one of a few people who rode the Super D almost all day long. I was able to get 24 laps in with no mechanicals. Next time, I'll do a lot more World Cup laps.

It was run extremely well with the exception of the start. CJ timing did an awesome job! The night riding was really cool, especially since most people I talked to had not DH'ed in the dark before. Berms are super hard to judge, as are sandy sections and loose gravel. The road up top was kinda sketch in the dark. You can also see every little pebble you deflect into the air.

Last edited:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I noticed that. I had the last run on my team, went up at 8:29. It was honestly the most epic bike ride I've ever been on. The really funny thing is that my average time was 23-24 minutes per lap. My lap in the dark was 24.5 with two lights. It was so awesome! I didn't hit either of the road gaps in the dark either.

MFGuy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
The hardest thing I have ever done, think I slept through the last 2 laps. got 25 in... if anyone has pics of #12, solo pro let me know.
Hi. I have a pic of you just going over the road drop on the Supreme DH course. You can see it here.

Cheers