Quantcast

Angel Fire, NM - a few q's

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Chile Challenge is in a few months, and I'm trying to figure out my schedule for the season. I live in LA so this would be about a 14 hr drive for me. I'm thinking I'd much rather fly... how hard is it to get from the airport to the race site? which city is better to fly to - Santa Fe or Albuquerque ? How are lodgings/accommodations? I've heard the race course is usually really good/fun - any truth to this?

Any info that y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
drive,
way too much of a pain in th eass to box a DH bike and still get it there on time and have it all working correctly or not broken, plus it costs 80 bucks to fly a bike now.

if you drive you can bring spare parts, tube, and tools and find someone there to split a room with

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i would probably drive too.

albuquerque is the closest airport and from there it's not a long drive, but like people have said, the hassle of taking the bike on the plane and dealing with repairs could compromise your weekend.

the track is really fun. it's long, has a good variety of terrain and the atmosphere is always good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well, its about a 1,000 mile drive each way. with gas costing about $3.50 a gallon now (its only gonna go up), round trip driving would cost me about $400 just in gas. Not to mention the waste of 28 hours of my life in a car.

PS I've flown with bikes before and I own a travel case.

Its a b!tch of a drive but you still end up driving or trying to get a ride from the airport. If you drive you can always camp and save some cash there. What will a flight cost? you will have the $160 just to take a single bike with no spare parts and no 4x bike.

I am going to national champs and Mt. Sainte Anne this year and it would be cheaper to fly but more of a hassle and without the ability to take 2 bikes and spare stuff, its easier to drive even though driving sucks

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its a b!tch of a drive but you still end up driving or trying to get a ride from the airport. If you drive you can always camp and save some cash there. What will a flight cost? you will have the $160 just to take a single bike with no spare parts and no 4x bike.

I am going to national champs and Mt. Sainte Anne this year and it would be cheaper to fly but more of a hassle and without the ability to take 2 bikes and spare stuff, its easier to drive even though driving sucks
I wouldn't mind driving... but 14 hours by yourself sucks. I'm hoping to find some people that would wanna tag along.

Yeah I remember a few guys from out there coming to a few races this past year, you could definitely find some folks to carpool out with, makes it cheaper and easier

Same way as I get my women, share them with a few friends and the get cheaper....did that cross a line?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I remember a few guys from out there coming to a few races this past year, you could definitely find some folks to carpool out with, makes it cheaper and easier

Same way as I get my women, share them with a few friends and the get cheaper....did that cross a line?
only if there was male-male contact during DP :busted:

that one definitely crossed the line

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Who's got the best vid of Angelfire?

I've considered that race as well, and I'll be comin from SOUTH DAKOTA! Isn't this the course where peeps are reportedly hittin like 62mph or somethin like that?? Zooooooom!
And Jon...if you were friends with the 3 tools I'd be riding with...you'd LOVE 14 hrs of quality ALONE time! I might ride in the back of the truck with the smart people...the bikes.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Definitely drive, it's a lot cheaper and much more practical than flying. There'll be plenty of other people driving out for the race you can carpool with, but apparently nobody figures out their summer this far ahead of time.

If you fly, you'll end up renting a car in Santa Fe, with a good 2 hours of drive time before you get to the race. Rental cars are pricey, plus you'll need at least a full tank of gas ($50) just to make it up to the race. Couple that with the $160 on airline bike fees, along with a car rental of what, $200, and you're already at $410. At the cheapest! If you're buying a ticket, Southwest shows it to be about $210 to fly to Albuquerque, and that's quite a bit further from the race than Santa Fe. That's already $620. Ouch. Then race fees, lodging, food, beer and strippers. Gonna be expensive.

If you can find even 1 other person to drive with, it'll be much cheaper, and you'll have the luxury of spare parts/bikes.

See ya on HWY 40. I'll be in the truck loaded to the brim with bikes and people coming from the Central Coast. 805.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
17 hours after we left home, we took a photo:
HAHAHAHAHA, I remember that van! I was laughing WAY too hard when I saw that (stayed at the same hotel).

Ya, drive out there. It's really not a bad drive. We broke it down into two days but could have very easily done it in one. It's totally worth it because the course is SOOOOOO much fun!

Just be careful of the first wooded section...there's a tree that likes to grab bikers, especially during their race run, lol!!!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
sweetness!

Zark, you're definitely in? I can drive, but its just a Tacoma. At least it holds plenty of gear.
I'm in, as long as something catastrophic doesn't happen between now and then. Ironically I have a Tacoma as well, its an xtra cab if that makes a difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm in, as long as something catastrophic doesn't happen between now and then. Ironically I have a Tacoma as well, its an xtra cab if that makes a difference.
word up. If we can find another person, a friend of mine has a ford econoline that's set up as a camper. one of the top raising ones that's got a bed. its also got a fridge and some other niceties. gas mileage isn't as good as a tacoma, but you can hold more people and it would probably be a wash on gas $. 3 people is good, 4 people is totally do-able, but gets a little cozy.