Quantcast

Angle set for ZS56 or How to Steepen the Spire

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I have a Spire that currently has a 62 degree HA. :eek:

Swapping to the high position gets 62.5, but also steepens the ST which I don't want more of (The suspension also feels better in the low position with the longer chain stay).
Dropping the fork 10mm will help too, but drops the BB more and steepens the ST even more.

I would really like a 63->63.5 HA via some cups in the current setup.
The slacker ST and slightly higher BB that come with the steeper HA would be perfecto.

56mm straight HT, anything available?
Wolf Tooth makes something that will work in the bottom, but not the top.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
A dude that lives in my building has an XL Spire. He absolutely loves it. Although I can't see how he can get the thing around some of the tight climbing switchbacks we have locally.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Not looking to change all that much, just want to have the HA from the high flip chip position while running the low position and a 180mm fork. It's still 63 degrees.......which is what most people run this bike at anyways.

Yesterday I dropped the fork to 170 (stock spec), and put the frame in high position. This gave it a 63 degree HA, and a slightly taller BB but makes the SA steeper so the saddle is slammed back as far as it goes.
It was much better handling wise, so likely the angle adjusting HS and low position will be the way to go. I ordered one up. :rockout:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
but i like low standover and not a ginormous headtube. but i'm not the one altering his bike....however, i definitely prefer today's geo/numbers to that of 10 years ago.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What makes people want the saddle back?
:confused:
Prioritizing cornering over climbing position. Have you ridden a bike with a 78* to 80* seat angle before? The seat is in the way for some cornering techniques because the inner thigh hits the rear wider portion of the seat and isn’t as good of a contact point as well as doesn’t allow you to lean the bike over as much.

Super steep seat tube is better for climbing but worse for cornering. Nothing is for free.

That could be a reason he doesn’t want it further forward. Maybe he wants more performance on the downs rather than the ups?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I hate slack sta but I'm 6'1" with long legs I run a pretty high seat and "setback" and "slack" always mean sitting over my rear axle... ew...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Prioritizing cornering over climbing position. Have you ridden a bike with a 78* to 80* seat angle before? The seat is in the way for some cornering techniques because the inner thigh hits the rear wider portion of the seat and isn’t as good of a contact point as well as doesn’t allow you to lean the bike over as much.

Super steep seat tube is better for climbing but worse for cornering. Nothing is for free.

That could be a reason he doesn’t want it further forward. Maybe he wants more performance on the downs rather than the ups?
does your saddle angle adjuster help with this problem?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Installed the +1 degree headset and bike is good!
Works Components stuff is much better quality than the FSA garbage that came stock as well.

Head angle = 63.4, Seat Angle = 70.3 (actual), Front Center = 809mm, Rear Center = 448mm, BB height = 342mm.
Fork at 170mm w/ Vorsprung Luftkappe, Bomber CR tuned by Craig in the back. Ripper! :rockout:

0422220842b.jpg

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
If you're looking for a bit steeper and taller still, you could try 1 reversed offset bushing in the bottom mount I think. Should give you another 0.2-0.3 degrees and like 3mm higher BB.

I've been running 1 reversed offset bushing on my GG Megatrail (can't run an angleset) in the front shock mount, and see no signs of it rotating.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Installed the +1 degree headset and bike is good!
Works Components stuff is much better quality than the FSA garbage that came stock as well.

Head angle = 63.4, Seat Angle = 70.3 (actual), Front Center = 809mm, Rear Center = 448mm, BB height = 342mm.
Fork at 170mm w/ Vorsprung Luftkappe, Bomber CR tuned by Craig in the back. Ripper! :rockout:

View attachment 175369
It happens that this bike has been on my mind
Are you still riding this?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
No, I don't have it anymore.
It was greatly improved with a steeper HA, but still pretty long and slack for most trails around here.
It was just too close to the DH bike, but was not a DH bike.

I had the alloy frame as well and it was heavy.

Carbon frame is 3# lighter, it would be good with this setup. :thumb:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The rear being super long actually helps get Weight forward on long front center bikes..
More or a pro than a con
Depends. I find too long of RC in relation to the FC makes me have to move towards the backseat to keep my weight central for cornering. The trick is figuring out what the best balance point is for yourself. It's tough relying on geometry charts since they don't reflect dynamic geometry and aren't always accurate anyways.