Quantcast

Angled Cups

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hey guys, I've had loads of extra time this week and decided I wanted to do a little proyect. I don't have any money to buy brand new angled reducer cups, and since I study industrial design, I'm thinking of CNC'ing a batch of 1º cups for my sunday. Information about diameters is kinda scarce. I know a couple of you have done some of these, so any info would be appreciated. How deep should 1.5 cups be? wats the inner diameter of a 1.5 head set? What are the dimensions of some canecreek headcup bearings (since I'll be using the same ones as I have on my sunday right now). Anyone?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Hey guys, I've had loads of extra time this week and decided I wanted to do a little proyect. I don't have any money to buy brand new angled reducer cups, and since I study industrial design, I'm thinking of CNC'ing a batch of 1º cups for my sunday. Information about diameters is kinda scarce. I know a couple of you have done some of these, so any info would be appreciated. How deep should 1.5 cups be? wats the inner diameter of a 1.5 head set? What are the dimensions of some canecreek headcup bearings (since I'll be using the same ones as I have on my sunday right now). Anyone?

You want to cut some new angled cups, yet you are not capable of measuring what you have now? Oh boy!

This should be a good learning experience. School is great for a foundation, but you really don't learn much until you actually try and make things completely on your own. The steps between seeing a part on the computer screen and actually holding a part in your hand is where the true skill is.

In this country all the ID guys do is design graphics and try and make things look "pretty". They are a nightmare when they wander into the machine shop. If you have a ID degree and machine shop skills that will make you very valuable.

Keep an update of how it goes. Document the project w/ pictures, that can be a great asset when looking for employment.

Most of all, have fun! Making chips is the *hit!!!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
You want to cut some new angled cups, yet you are not capable of measuring what you have now? Oh boy!

This should be a good learning experience. School is great for a foundation, but you really don't learn much until you actually try and make things completely on your own. The steps between seeing a part on the computer screen and actually holding a part in your hand is where the true skill is.

In this country all the ID guys do is design graphics and try and make things look "pretty". They are a nightmare when they wander into the machine shop. If you have a ID degree and machine shop skills that will make you very valuable.

Keep an update of how it goes. Document the project w/ pictures, that can be a great asset when looking for employment.

Most of all, have fun! Making chips is the *hit!!!

Im no idiot thanks! haha I can measure my e.thirteen cups, but I want precision for tight tolerance, specially for the socket where the bearings are going to go in. My design is finilised, Im going to get a quote on pricing. I'll upload a picture in a while. Im going to do a 1.5º cup which is light as hell! Hell yeah!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
okay, here are two pictures, first one is the two cups (which I did to get everything aligned) and the second pictures is more of the finilized version. Thoughts, ideads?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Karpi , IMHO those side holes will be PITA to make. Making thos 2 cups from the 1st pic , requires mounting the part(s) 2 times in the 3-axis mill , making this cup from the pic below, at least 4 or using 5-axis milling station(very expensive stuff as You probably know). Every time, some guy has to come , unmount the part, set it correctly, mount it again,sometimes change the tool, set up the machine - it takes alot of time and costs more. Making those side holes is pointless , You will save like 5g? To minimize the costs , You should use standard(not cnc) lathe, which is cheaper to use, to make let's say "general shape" with outside dia. tolerances of those cups and than make those angled(?) holes on the cnc mill. I hope, You understand , what i'm trying to say. Keep it simple . Do not forget , that headset is not only 2 aluminium cups and 2 bearings. You have to make lower race and some other stuff as well (making bearing seat/mount [don't know how it is called] perpendicular to the upper/lower cup face is better/cheaper option in Your case). Sry for my english .

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Im no idiot thanks! haha I can measure my e.thirteen cups, but I want precision for tight tolerance, specially for the socket where the bearings are going to go in. My design is finilised, Im going to get a quote on pricing. I'll upload a picture in a while. Im going to do a 1.5º cup which is light as hell! Hell yeah!
Wait, what! You are just modeling them and not making them? How dissapointing. You really are an ID guy, do the easy computer work and let someone else figure out how to make the damn things.:thumb:

I thought you couldn't afford real Cane Creek cups???
These will end up being 10X as expensive.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hey guys, yeah I really wanna make them, I was just looking into posibilities with shapes a ways to cut out weight, I realized now thats its real expensive with the cut outs. Down here we don't have A-grade Alu, so I was thinking of stainless steel, but apparently it would be even more expensive to perform the same shape cause of the steel's high strength.

For the final peace it won't have the cut outs, but what I do wan't and need is a line or cutout to point the direction of the cup for alignment and installing. The bearing mount is at the same angle as the face of the cup so when installling the fork it doesnt hit the cup at different angles... make sense?

I looked into emachineshop and downloaded their software, but can't seem to be able to import my file onto it, even after exporting it into different files.

Im working on Autodesk Inventor. Would it be easier to export it from, say SW?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I went through this a while ago before commercial options avialable (if you find my thread, there is a fair bit of info about tellerances, specs, and fit). I drew up the parts to have someone else make them (I am an EE, take it easy) but because of the non-eccentric bores this ended up being more $$ than I had thought.
Ended up being a fair bit less expensive to wait for Works components to get thier cups build in bulk, buying them, and having them shipped to the states. My 50+ part quote w/o anno was about even with the cost of the retail parts completely finished, packaged shipped, etc. One off, was VERY expensive.