Quantcast

Angled Headset Options in the US

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
So I've read some of the other threads on nightmares with the Cane Creek Angleset and heard someone mention FSA, Works, etc. Does anyone have any experience with these or know of any other viable options in the US?
It's for my size Large Driver 8 with a Boxxer Team. I'm looking to slacken it at least 1.5 degrees to lengthen the wheelbase and keep me a little further back on the bike.
Mind you I'm 6'8" and would prefer to get a new XL V10 but don't think it's going to be in my budget this year. Therefore, I'm looking to improve what I've got for at least one more season. Thoughts?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I haven't tested their components, but works components in the UK responds to my facebook requests for info almost instantaneously. Even hard questions, they seem to have an answer to, like how the driver 8's geometry would change with a -2* headset, and they provide good detail as well. I can't see any reason not to try one out, unless their product turns to dust after a few days.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I sent them an email just now about their availability in the US and which headtube set length would be best for my ride. Thanks for the advice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No prob. FWIW, I had an angleset on my sunday and it wasn't worth the trouble. For a while, I considered replacing it with a worksco setup, but I sold the bike instead. I had clicking issues while turning the handlebars, and only a couple of times mine knocked, but the adjustability isn't worth the trouble unless you have an intense style compressable upper headtube. I left mine at -1.5* for the entirety...getting it to work noise-free was such a chore that the thought of taking it apart and trying again made me sad. I really think a "figure out what you want, then order" approach is better for that part....WC also offers -2*, which the angleset does not..._IF_ you want to go that slack.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm glad I heard this before I ever bother buying a CC version. noisy clunky headsets are one of the worst things IMO.
Switching from an "expensive" headset to a $30 version was one of the best things I ever did to my last dh bike.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
My headtube is at 66.5* so I don't think 64.5* would be too slack. However, I've spent enough time reading the 28 page thread about troubles with the Angleset that I know I don't want one, particularly seeing that I am not that mechanically inclined. I really would like to set it and forget it. I don't like paying money to be sad.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have CC angle sets on two different bikes (one straight up 1 1/8 in a 1.5 headtube, and one tapered) and I have not had the problems so many other people complain about. They work just fine for me. Just sayin.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I run an angleset still,love it,Icheck it every ride like a experienced rider should and would with something more complex.

Ive herd the fsa making noise aswell.

I think people overlook at how tight you need to make these headsets,the preload is indeed more then a regular headset,I have had nothing but good luck.

I dont want to give it up since I love my 63.5 head angle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FWIW I never contacted Cane Creek about my issues. I am an experienced rider and I have never, nor do I believe I should ever, have to adjust nor maintain my headset before every single ride. Every bike I have ever owned or ridden has not needed to be adjusted every single ride, nor checked for tightness or play (outside of noticing anything weird). I think it's great that some people have had no issues, but you 20%ers are the minority on this board, and I'd have a hard time buying a nemesis project frame, even though SOME people have them and like the bikes. I also ran a ****load of preload, and used anti-seize, but it just wasn't worth it, if, God forbid, I removed my fork or changed a crown or something.

I think it's great you like your anglesets, but if I were to start from square one, I'd start with something that doesn't have such a huge failure rate, or something that every article about it makes mention of a reasonably large issue.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
are they DH bikes?
V10c and a Nomad. I don't check them any more than a non-adjustable headset - which is to say pretty much never. I traveled with the nomad this summer and had no problems tearing down and rebuilding a few times along the way.

Just wanted to provide some balance to the opinion-sphere.

And come on, comparing them to Nemesis? Low blow. :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I prefer a headset that doesn't have to be f'd with every single ride. Yes, you should hit the brakes & make sure everything is tight before heading out, but generally shouldn't have to touch it.

Some people love f'ing with their bikes - I prefer when it just work so I can ride.

(i don't have an angleset :thumb:)

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
I agree with what many above me have said. I have a 2010 Giant Glory and its been running the cc angleset at -1.5* for about 6 months or so. At the beginning it was making the clunking noise quite often - pretty much any time I went off a drop, jump or over any rocks. I kind of got used to the sound, but after having the headset for a while now it pretty much makes no noise at all anymore. The one downside, and I'd say this is a pretty big downside, is that I have to take the entire headset apart, clean it all, regrease and reinstall it every 2 weeks depending how often I ride. Usually after 5-6 days of riding it needs this service done. Keep in mind, this is NOT bike park riding. Just local dh trails, 2- 3 minute runs, 2-3 runs and just messing around on the jumps at the trails. If I hit a bike park for 2 days, it needs to be serviced the next day.

For those wondering how I determine when it needs to be serviced, I just throw the bike in a work stand and turn the handlebars. After a couple days at a bike park, the headset will almsot be seized and will not turn freely at all. So to sum it up, the headset works perfectly right after its been serviced, but it is definitely not worth the hassle of taking it apart after only a couple weeks.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I haven't tested their components, but works components in the UK responds to my facebook requests for info almost instantaneously. Even hard questions, they seem to have an answer to, like how the driver 8's geometry would change with a -2* headset, and they provide good detail as well. I can't see any reason not to try one out, unless their product turns to dust after a few days.
I can vouch for Works. The company is responsive and the headset what you would expect. It's simple and works.

I honestly think the Cane Creek is stupid unless you have a pinch bolt for the lower cup. I could buy two works headsets for the same price if I wanted to pound out and press in cups.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Another vote for the Works angleset. i have been running one in my 09 glory dh for most of the summer, and it's been rock solid. Installation was tricky (it was the first headset I installed myself) but after that it hasn't moved at all.

Simple but effective, not to mention more affordable than other offerings too.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I honestly think the Cane Creek is stupid
unless you have a pinch bolt for the lower cup. [/QUOTE]
explain

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the explanation is that the design has two main features...one headset fits all frames all the time, and you have an option to adjust your headset angle.

The problems are that it's a challenge to get it to work right, and pressing in a headset is not nor should it be a regular, rotating occurrence. If you've got the bolt in top, it's MUCH easier.

In the end I think it would be wiser to pick one angle and go for it, as the possibilities of messing with the thing twice a ride is just not worth what it's supposed to do.

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Another vote for the works. They reply right away to all your questions. They ship fast (took about 3 weeks UK to PH) and cheap. I emailed them again a few days ago (new order) asking if they can lower the cost in the invoice so that i can pay less customs tax/ duties (no harm in asking right?) and they replied that their anglesets have gone down in price because they recently got a VAT registration or something.

I have one on my 10' Glory and it's been working without a hitch for about 3 months now even though i just used a rubber mallet, string, and paint can to install it. lol.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Thank you all for your input. I'm going to order a Works headset today.
Works responded same day to my question about which size (my headtube length is in between a set 3 or 4), I've had a lot of positive responses from this thread about Works, and apparently I can install it using a rubber mallet, string, and a paint can. Boom! That just happened.

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
dude are you installing a headset or making a telephone???
Happens when your drunk and it's 4am in the morning but somehow can't sleep because you're itching to ride your bike in a few hours with a new part installed. Didn't have the proper tools...might as well well "drunk-improvise"

String - tied to the seatpost to align everything together
Mallet - to whack the cups in
Big enough paint can (only thing i could find during the time) - to make sure the cup presses in flush in one go

hey it worked.. after about 10 tries, not bad

Last edited:

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Got my -1.5* Works set installed last weekend along with a 6mm spacer from Works to lift the bars a touch.
Took it for a quick spin around the city and it feels great. Can't wait to get it to Snowshoe for Memorial Day weekend!

Works was easy to do business with. Thanks for the great advice everyone!