Quantcast

Angleset and geometry

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Got a technical question. I’ve never used a angle set before and I want to ask you guys how it would change the geometry.

I have a 2016 Chromag Wideangle in M/L. It has a 68deg head angle. I was thinking of putting a Works 2deg angle set to make it 66deg. The frame is designed around a 150mm fork. My goal is to keep the geometry relatively the same except the HA. What would a 10mm longer fork do to the geometry after I installed the angleset. I have a 160mm Vengeance that I will be using.

Is there anything else that I’m not taking it to account that would negatively affect the handling.

Thanks
Tim

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
  1. Your reach will get a little shorter, since the headset will offset the upper bearing rearward to achieve the angle change.
  2. If the lower cup has a similar stack height to your current one, the stack height and BB height will decrease very slightly (especially slightly in the case of the BB) because the vertical component of the fork length will decrease a little.
  3. Alternately, you may need to move to an external lower cup from an internal one, which would increase the effective axle to crown height of the fork and do the opposite of 2. So would bumping up the fork 10mm.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
what HAB said, and if you increase fork travel by 10mm your bb height and seatpost angle stay almost the same as pre-angleset geo. External lower cup like the Cane Creek unit solves this if you are going from an integrated cup. I have requested an external lower cup -2 degree angled headset from Workscomponents.co.uk but he said there wasn't enough demand. I will ask him again because I still want one to replace my Cane Creek -1.5.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
  1. Your reach will get a little shorter, since the headset will offset the upper bearing rearward to achieve the angle change.
Interestingly reducing the head angle in Linkage actually indicates increase in reach and it looks like the measurement is taken from the center of the steer, i.e. taking into account the offset. I think the reason is the whole frame rotates around the rear axle clockwise when you reduce head angle with an angleset - following an arc the BB being below the point of rotation goes down and backwards, the top tube being above the center of rotation goes down and forward, hence the distance between the two increases. That's probably complete nonsense, nevertheless Linkage shows longer reach :D
EDIT: you also get slightly steeper SA, so it's a win win!

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think people focus too much on reach, that won't change a significant amount here anyway - what will change more significantly (which I don't think anyone mentioned) is the wheelbase. It will probably grow around 15mm in the front-center component, maybe a little more depending on fork. This is probably a good thing in most cases unless the bike is already too long for you, but keep in mind it will be noticeable.

If you then put the longer fork on, you'll further gain more WB + further slacken the HA (only a little of both), and offset the BB height lowering that HAB mentioned (and also offset the SA steepening that imbecile mentions). Looks like Mmmbones covered this.

If you're trying to make the bike more aggressive, I think everything you're doing will positively influence that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ha, yeah, I figured that the wheelbase was obvious enough to gloss over, but worth pointing out for the sake of completeness. :)

Last time I put an angleset in a bike, I definitely noticed the reach decreasing. Whether it really mattered is debatable, but it did feel appreciably different.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So are you saying:

1) You'll put on a -2* headset, going from 68* to 66*?
2) You'll put on a 160mm fork (where before it was 150mm)?

If that's true then you're "real" head angle will probably be ~65.5. Due to increase in fork length.

Here's what GG says:
* The Smash accepts forks between 140-160 mm of travel. Changing the travel +/- 10 mm creates a head angle (HA) change of +/- .4º and BB height change of .1" (3 mm).

Anyways, that's pretty slack. You might find that climbing steep, tech stuff will be harder to control. A front end "floppyness" feeling can occur.

But the DH will be awesome.

my 2 cents

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I’m running a 160mm fork because I’ve been to lazy to drop the travel. I think if it gets to sloppy up front I’ll space it down or I could just get a 1.5 angle set and continue to be lazy. I will take a look at the stack too. I hadn’t thought of that part of the equation.

I’m use to riding bikes in the 66/65 head angle now. 68 feels funny to me. Next thing you know I’ll have a POLE.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I know I can add and subtract off fork length to make up for wheel/tyre diameter differences.
Just think it'd be nice to be able to just plug the sizes in rather thn make the calculations myself.