Quantcast

Angleset help

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
K, so I have a 44/49 zerostack cane creek 1 degree angleset. 1 1/8" steerer tube.

If I want to switch to a tapered steerer tube fork, do I understand correctly that I need to switch to an external cup and a new gimbal? Or is it possible to use the new gimbal inside the existing zerostack cup?

Thx!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I would get a new lower cup with the angle you want. One less gimbal is one less creak in my opinion. I gave up on the gimbals for creaky reasons.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would get a new lower cup with the angle you want. One less gimbal is one less creak in my opinion. I gave up on the gimbals for creaky reasons.

I de-creaked my gymbals by installing them dry then applying penetrating Loctite.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Obviously I don't understand the system then. I thought they all had gimbals.

Or do you mean a non-cane-creek model?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Obviously I don't understand the system then. I thought they all had gimbals.

Or do you mean a non-cane-creek model?
Cane Creek, and some others I believe, use gymbals to let the bearings align with the steerer. Others are hard machined for a range of steerer lengths.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
righto, just sounded like there was a CC model without gimbals from what he said so I was confused. Got it now, thx!

Trying to install a non-gimbal 1 1/8 variant on my hardtail, actually, and it's binding in one direction and I'm super annoyed...not that the design is at fault mind you.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Is the headtube within the recommended length for the headset you got? Or it could be that the cups aren’t aligned or the races and bearings are not compatible (36* vs 45* bearings). Those are some of the reasons I have had bonding in the past on these headsets. Do you have a Works Components 1 1/8 angle set? Those are usually shipped with good bearings so I am thinking it is alignment or a length issue.

Does the dust cap clear the headset cup when tightened down? The Works ones sometimes need a micro shim to get the dust cap to clear the cup.

Good luck!