Quantcast

Angleset problem

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
No noise out of mine yet with 2 days at diablo but I don't really notice things like that. J Used lots of lube.
Try turning up the radio. That usually helps with noise.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just want to post that readjusting the gimbals and tightening everything down seems to have fixed my problem, at least for the time being. Two shuttle runs is hardly a full day of DH, but so far so good (no click).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
just want to post that readjusting the gimbals and tightening everything down seems to have fixed my problem, at least for the time being. Two shuttle runs is hardly a full day of DH, but so far so good (no click).
nail the brakes, hit a drop, repeat - return with feedback. Gobs o grease and anti-seize and no luck (luck should have nada to do with it, 50/50 issue for all Ive heard from so far - not good)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I never had the clunking issue though, mine was a click from lock to lock. It almost looks like my upper cup may be slightly off from center, but I need to get a day on it before I reset it.

I'm a bit surprised anti-seize didn't fix it though, but I'm not certain that it's a gimbal problem vs. something more creepy.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I've had 15+ hours on mine which is -1.5 on an 08 Sunday. With all the power of internet suggestion, I thought I "might" be hearing something so I tightened the star nut down a fair bit and I am sure it is silent. I ride Highland with plenty of drops and a mix of everything else and will say I am very happy with it. I had a local shop install it; and although they had never done one before, I warned them of the supposed issues and I've had none so far.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I've had a few days on mine in the V10. No noise so far.

I'm goofy and run a head lock so I was able to over tighten it to seat it then back it off a bit.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I havent had any issue with mine, it has been going strong since early dec on a 2011 demo 8. I installed it in the -1.5 setting and i have switched crowns a fair few times and it ha never troubled me once. In fact its the only part on the bike that has been rock solid. I installed it according to the instructions.

Could the problem possible be in difference in headtube lengths? Seems like frames with shorther headtubes are trouble free, i havent kept to close attention to this tread to back the statement but still seems like a source to check. Especially since normal angled cups are sensitive to headtube lengths. And i know CC claims that the angle set is not headtube length dependent.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i could care less about trying to get it to work now honestly....ive tried it all now.
itll be going on my new AM bike once i order a new upper assembly to fit that bike.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
They are a pain to setup took my shop and I about seven or eight installs to get the gimbals seated right. Kind of a pain, I am not changing the headset till it breaks

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They are a pain to setup took my shop and I about seven or eight installs to get the gimbals seated right. Kind of a pain, I am not changing the headset till it breaks
thats another reason why i dont feel like dealing with it anymore.
when i clean my bike, i take everything off to clean, including the fork (especially with the M9 since the HT has a slit in it for the headset cup and it allows water to get into the HT and onto the lower bearing.) i dont want to be trying to seat the gimbals 10x every time i clean my bike.
plus, how do you know that the gimbals are seated right besides by testing it out??

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so it seems the bearings seem to be the culprit in my situation...not the gimbals.
you can see where the bearing galled up the gimbal despite using anti-seize and thick grease.

i installed CC's new series 40 flush reducer headset today too. its interesting to see that they have the compression ring attached to the preload cap now. no problems now :thumb:
the new series 40 feels a lot cheaper then their previous XXC II flush headset unfortunately. the price reflects the cheaper quality feeling as well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
so it seems the bearings seem to be the culprit in my situation...not the gimbals.
you can see where the bearing galled up the gimbal despite using anti-seize and thick grease.
I don't have any marking, but you probably used yours much longer. I'm having thoughts of trying the anti-seize method as I suggested it to a guy on his M9. He's got zero noise/popping so far...

Just not sure if it's worth my time now. :think:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't have any marking, but you probably used yours much longer. I'm having thoughts of trying the anti-seize method as I suggested it to a guy on his M9. He's got zero noise/popping so far...

Just not sure if it's worth my time now. :think:
yeah, ive been riding it since November but i dont remember having issues with it during the first few rides. it sat for a few months during the winter and it started after i re-assembled the bike after a cleaning. i guess i got super lucky during the first build.
it honestly took less time putting a new headset in then it would to try installing the gimbals multiple times. thankfully CC uses pretty much the same crown race for all their headsets so i didnt have to remove that.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm going to be the village idiot and ask this question I'm sure I know the answer to...

Has anyone played around with running one of the offset cups on the bottom in combination with an offset cup on the top?

Here's why I ask.. I have a Sunday that comes stock with a 65* headangle. I popped my AngleSet in with the 1.5* top cup and 0* lower cup. It seems that the headangle still feels rather steep at times in comparison to my old 2010 Demo 8 II although they should be the same(I know wheelbase and top tube length differences...)
I would like to try to slack it out a touch more if I could. I haven't had any issues with clicking, clacking, popping or anything of the sort. Do you think it might work?

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
I'm going to be the village idiot and ask this question I'm sure I know the answer to...

Has anyone played around with running one of the offset cups on the bottom in combination with an offset cup on the top?

Here's why I ask.. I have a Sunday that comes stock with a 65* headangle. I popped my AngleSet in with the 1.5* top cup and 0* lower cup. It seems that the headangle still feels rather steep at times in comparison to my old 2010 Demo 8 II although they should be the same(I know wheelbase and top tube length differences...)
I would like to try to slack it out a touch more if I could. I haven't had any issues with clicking, clacking, popping or anything of the sort. Do you think it might work?
Try the 1.5* in the bottom cup and the 0* in the upper and see if that solves your problem.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I had a short thread discussing this notion. The conclusion was it should work, though the top and bottom cups are pretty different. I haven't tried it yet, but one fella did with some success. I think CC actually suggests you can run the system inverted on certain bikes, so it sounds like it should be fine.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I had a short thread discussing this notion. The conclusion was it should work, though the top and bottom cups are pretty different. I haven't tried it yet, but one fella did with some success. I think CC actually suggests you can run the system inverted on certain bikes, so it sounds like it should be fine.
I know in the CC installation video where he uses the M9 he says that on "this bike" we will be using the 0* lower cup and offset top cup, but never touches on why it might be different on other bikes. The paper instructions that come with the headset seem to be ****e for explaining it as well.

I blew up my Boxxer Team this last weekend so while I'm mounting my WC, I'll play with swapping cups around I suppose.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I need to check my bearing for the galling issue.

Regarding running the offset cup on the bottom, Im thinking there is an additional adjustability introduced. When using the offset cup on top, it moves the bars/cockpit back, shrinking valuable cockpit space for some. If the offset cup is used on the bottom, the shift would effect the cockpit less, and have the reverse effect on wheelbase (Eg instead of tightening the cockpit by .25-.5" it would lengthen the wb to some similar degree.

Comments? Too little oxygen??

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that should work, but i wonder what the realistic "shrinkage" would be. I find it hard to believe that a 1.5* change in my HT made my handlebars that much closer to my knees, but I never bothered to measure.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
that should work, but i wonder what the realistic "shrinkage" would be. I find it hard to believe that a 1.5* change in my HT made my handlebars that much closer to my knees, but I never bothered to measure.
The cup itself moves the bearing about .4" back - that is a significant change in cockpit size; not astounding, but that much difference in any measurement effects sizing notably.

take the new angle into account, and at the max projection (highest part of bars) it would also add a bit more - so at least a half inch change from the 0 to the 1.5 cup at the bars. (I think it may be more, but my degree is in sofa warming)

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ok I'm gonna order one today. Last chance to talk me out of it.

I realize that there may be issues but I really wanna try my Nomad with a slacker head angle so...

Heregoes!

the new series 40 feels a lot cheaper then their previous XXC II flush headset unfortunately. the price reflects the cheaper quality feeling as well.
That's unfortunate I really like my XXC flush

Last edited:

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
I finally got a test ride on my 951 with new Angleset yesterday, but not on dirt. I did notice the slacker head angle on flat pavement. What a weird feeling. I guess I'm around 62.5-63.5.
The first real test is gonna be at Platty Friday. Is there any particular types of hits where you guys have been hearing this clicking?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think they were saying through rock gardens.

I most noticed the change in HA in downhill corners...ie cutting across the hill and turning into a woods section. It really didn't seem to change my handling "in the the steeps".

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Is there any particular types of hits where you guys have been hearing this clicking?
anything in rock gardens, especially if you hit the brakes in them. you can even test it by doing a endo in the parking lot. that was the first thing i did when i put the new headset in...and alas, no noise!

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
My noise came from any hard, bigger hits. Noticed it on a big G-out that had a bump at the bottom too.

I could make the noise myself simply by bouncing the bike up and down.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
My noise came from any hard, bigger hits. Noticed it on a big G-out that had a bump at the bottom too.

I could make the noise myself simply by bouncing the bike up and
down.
I had the same issue after I initially built my bike. I noticed that when I put my fingers against the Angleset and had someone hit the front wheel to recreate the noise, I could feel the bearing move in the gimble. I then installed a micro spacer between the top cap and compression ring and greased between the bearing and gimble and the noise was reduced and cannot be heard on the trail. I am pulling the headset apart soon and might try something besides grease between the bearing and gimble. So far the positives out weigh the negatives and I would imagine I can get the noise to go away with a little TLC.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I spoke at great length with one of the head engeneer/owners at CC and I got some good info for you all.

One critical setup trick that is not explained anywhere is how to get the gimbals straight on top of the bearings. When assembling the headset, before its tight you have to eyeball the gimbals front to back and side to side. Take a small flathead screwdriver and align the gimbals so that they are right on top of the bearings. It's tricky to do and I have found using a sharp chisel fits in there better. You have to look at the seal on the upper cap and see if there is light on one side and not on the other, and move it until it looks straight. Pry with the chisel in the gap until its even all the way around. Look at the lower gimbal. You can see gold and you can see the black bearing. Make sure the black and the gold are parallel all the way around. Pry between the lower crown and the gimbal until it's even everywhere.Then tighten the headset down.

Unfortunately this has done little to make the headset any quiter!

I have found that running the gimbals dry makes them click but not clunk which is slightly better.

My giant has a 44mm upper cup and it doesn't taper lock which makes things worse. luckily its a single crown fork so it doesn't clunk as much. they are making new 44mm cups that will taperlock. I'll probably just go with a Works Components headset. My 6" bike with a 66deg ha is rad (as long as you're going fast LOL), My whole build was around this headset.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Take a small flathead screwdriver and align the gimbals so that they are right on top of the bearings.
how is this possible? the bearings sit in the gimbal.
after all this time, i thought it was the gimbals making the noise, but as you can see in my pic, its the bearing moving in the gimbal. i dont see any galling and or any other marks in the top cup that might have come from the gimbal moving

its good to know this "critical" setup is not explained anywhere and that the two instructional tutorials out there, differ in the important part of the setup :mad:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
how is this possible? the bearings sit in the gimbal.
after all this time, i thought it was the gimbals making the noise, but as you can see in my pic, its the bearing moving in the gimbal. i dont see any galling and or any other marks in the top cup that might have come from the gimbal moving

its good to know this "critical" setup is not explained anywhere and that the two instructional tutorials out there, differ in the important part of the setup :mad:
yea the bearings sit in the gimbals... and steve you are right its the bearings flip flopping around in the gimbals since they are not sitting right... obviously. I do not have any problems with my headset anymore. So IT IS USER ERROR! I know im gonna get flamed for it but its true.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yup, I couldnt get it to work for the life of me. Mr. Skatodd installed it one shot with a TON of thick grease and it worked. Might I mention he installed it 2 times and it worked great, no problems. I myself could not do it.

so yes it was USER ERROR! :rofl: