Quantcast

angleset?

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
do they only work if your headtube is a 1.5? or do they work with a 1.125 headtube as well? thanks...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Is there one for 1.5 integrated headtubes?
Like the lower on a Specialized frame? All configurations of the Angleset require a press-fit cup, so that rules out any Integrated (drop-in) bearing headsets.

Last edited by a moderator:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why are so many people confused by this? Cane Creek make two upper cups, and two lower cups that may be used in any combination. The upper sizes are 44 and 49mm, which fit 1 1/8" zero stack upper headtubes and conventional 1.5" upper headtubes respectively. The lower cups are 49 and 56mm, which fit conventional 1.5 and zero stack 1.5" lower headtubes respectively. A straight 1 1/8" steerer must be used in all cases.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
^^^Agreed with big-ted. I can't see where the confusion comes from. These are pretty simple numbers. I do, however, anxiously await a lower cup (external would be fine) that will work with a tapered steerer.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Like the lower on a Specialized frame? All configurations of the Angleset require a press-fit cup, so that rules out any Integrated (drop-in) bearing headsets.
Sorry, I meant a 1.5 zerostack, not integrated, but specificly I'm wondering about the new 5spot

The Turner website just says 44mm HT... so will it not work then bc there is no 44mm lower cup?

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry, I meant a 1.5 zerostack, not integrated, but specificly I'm wondering about the new 5spot

The Turner website just says 44mm HT... so will it not work then bc there is no 44mm lower cup?
Those headtubes on the 5 spot are not 1.5
They are the same size headtubes that are on Morewood trail bikes.
44mm zero stack.
The only reason you can get a 1.5 tapered fork on the new 5 spot is because cane creek makes an external lower cup to fit it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
ok... did some research. Looks like the answer is NO... 44mm is a standard zerostack 1 1/8 headtube... thus no angleset.

Looks like I'll be looking at something besides the Turner then. Too bad... those frames look sweet but the ht is still a little too steep for me @ 67.7 degrees.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
ok... did some research. Looks like the answer is NO... 44mm is a standard zerostack 1 1/8 headtube... thus no angleset.

Looks like I'll be looking at something besides the Turner then. Too bad... those frames look sweet but the ht is still a little too steep for me @ 67.7 degrees.
simple solution, more sag.....

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
what are those???
Here's a question, why are reducers round beyond the point where they interface with the shock?

Especially with those it would make more sense for them to be squared off so that you could adjust what you are doing more easily.

Even with zero adjustability, it would increase the contact between the shock and the frame and have an increase in stiffness as a result.

Patent pending bitches.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Here's a question, why are reducers round beyond the point where they interface with the shock?
1. It would be harder to make.
2. It wouldn't increase surface contact area, because you'd have to have a small enough square to fit through the circle. It'd be smaller.
3. Even if it did make the surface area a bit bigger, it wouldn't do **** to make things stiffer. Shock mounts don't flex like that.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
1. It would be harder to make.
So?

2. It wouldn't increase surface contact area, because you'd have to have a small enough square to fit through the circle. It'd be smaller.
I guess i mean in a 2 piece 'top hat' style.

3. Even if it did make the surface area a bit bigger, it wouldn't do **** to make things stiffer. Shock mounts don't flex like that.
There's no torsional flex at all in the back end of a bike, that being stiffer at the shock mount would help?

Oh well, good job i just said Patent Pending bitches rather than investing millions in the idea, only for Trek to come along and get a Patent on it aswell.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So it would cost more. I don't know about you, but I'm not too into paying more for stuff that's not better.

I guess i mean in a 2 piece 'top hat' style.
Ok, that would work, but IMO that style of reducer is to be avoided at all costs. They're not nearly as good as the 3 piece ones.

There's no torsional flex at all in the back end of a bike, that being stiffer at the shock mount would help?
I didn't say that. All I said was that making that specific change wouldn't do much of anything for stiffness.

Not trying to be too much of a jackass, just answering your "why hasn't this been done?" question.