Angry’s Big Number Two

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Day 6 4/22

12.1 miles

Hogpen Gap to Blue Mountain Shelter

Got back on trail with the two guys I’ve been hiking with since last Friday. Started off in the high 30s or low 40s but warmed up to the 60s. The leaves at higher elevations are still not out yet and the ground cover is just starting to pop. So nice to be up here in early spring. Was a good day.

Got plenty of rest the previous two nights and taking a zero to deal with the tent and other things did a lot to alleviate stress. Felt way better mentally than in the beginning. The week that I left for Georgia really took its toll on me. Wasn’t sleeping, running around in frenzy, driving five hours then starting a five month long hike made me feel disorganized and stressed out. Adding a failing tent and thunderstorms to the mix was icing on the cake as they say.

Got my tent ordered and sent an email to the company explaining my situation and if there was anything they could do to get it to me in Franklin by Friday. Left my phone number since cel coverage is poor and texting would be the best way to reach me. Before I went to bed I got an email from the owner letting me now they had my back. The tent got there today. Kudos to Dan Durston of durstongear.com.

View attachment 210862

View attachment 210863
is that a picture from inside the new tent?! nice.

I have to admit, this thread is rekindling my desire to get out and do some hiking with the kids... my trip to the Adirondacks with my youngest last fall may have been the highlight of my year. it's a good reminder that simple can be good, and sometimes be best...

good luck with the journey. I hope you find quiet and contentedness...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
is that a picture from inside the new tent?! nice.

I have to admit, this thread is rekindling my desire to get out and do some hiking with the kids... my trip to the Adirondacks with my youngest last fall may have been the highlight of my year. it's a good reminder that simple can be good, and sometimes be best...

good luck with the journey. I hope you find quiet and contentedness...
he picks up the new tent on Saturday

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Day 6 4/22

12.1 miles

Hogpen Gap to Blue Mountain Shelter

Got back on trail with the two guys I’ve been hiking with since last Friday. Started off in the high 30s or low 40s but warmed up to the 60s. The leaves at higher elevations are still not out yet and the ground cover is just starting to pop. So nice to be up here in early spring. Was a good day.

Got plenty of rest the previous two nights and taking a zero to deal with the tent and other things did a lot to alleviate stress. Felt way better mentally than in the beginning. The week that I left for Georgia really took its toll on me. Wasn’t sleeping, running around in frenzy, driving five hours then starting a five month long hike made me feel disorganized and stressed out. Adding a failing tent and thunderstorms to the mix was icing on the cake as they say.

Got my tent ordered and sent an email to the company explaining my situation and if there was anything they could do to get it to me in Franklin by Friday. Left my phone number since cel coverage is poor and texting would be the best way to reach me. Before I went to bed I got an email from the owner letting me now they had my back. The tent got there today. Kudos to Dan Durston of durstongear.com.

View attachment 210862

View attachment 210863
Cool! I am with many in pushing for you.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 7

12.8 miles

Blue Mountain Shelter to Sassafras Gap

Left camp earlier than everyone and hiked alone until lunch where our group met back up. At the lunch spot an older hiker was bragging about his accomplishments and going around to the thru hikers offering free shitty advice. When he got to me and my friend he pointed to a tree and said it was the perfect height for a PCT style bear hang. It clearly was not and I told him so. Then I heard someone else say that bears can’t stand on their hind legs. Dude didn’t try to offer me anymore advice. Lol. Was a pretty good day.

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg

IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3245.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 8 4/24

6.3 mile

Sassafras Gap to Dick’s Creek Gap

We got picked up by the owner of the Green Dragon hostel in Hiawassee for the night. Great hostel. All the amenities and hospitality that a thru hiker could ever dream of. Got to go back to Monte Alban for moar Carnitas. Nom, nom, nom. The hostel does laundry for hikers so that was nice. Got resupplied and rested.

IMG_3248.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

Homer

Chimp
Apr 22, 2024
Glad you made it to town and got your tent situation worked out! Hope you enjoy it going forward. Looks like you're getting to catch some of the rhodo bloom. Keep grinding mate! :homer:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Glad you made it to town and got your tent situation worked out! Hope you enjoy it going forward. Looks like you're getting to catch some of the rhodo bloom. Keep grinding mate! :homer:
Thanks Homer. Pitched the new tent. Looks pretty good.

Those giant ferns from last year haven’t proliferated yet. They’re still tiny.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I’ll have moar updates when I get to the next stop. This has been a busy zero with getting a new tent and making plans for our next town stop. Anyone wanna shuttle five stinky dudes from Fontana Dam to Bryson City Thursday or Friday ?

Homer

Chimp
Apr 22, 2024
Where are y'all gonna be next week? I have some time off and wouldn't mind spending some time in the mountains. The smokies would be:boss: