Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 123 8/17 10.4 miles

ME Route 15 to Wilson Valley Lean-to

Sunshine’s quilt was at the post office when they opened at 7:30 so we caught the shuttle to the trailhead to begin the 100 Mile Wilderness hiking northbound to Katahdin. It was spectacular to see the AT in Maine for the first time. Everything is covered in green moss and thick roots interlaced with rocks. It had rained recently so the ground was still wet. Lots of mud bogs, something we had not seen in VA and PA with the drought.

Sunshine took a pretty good digger climbing up some wet roots in the morning. She was a little shaken up and not quite her bubbly self for the rest of the day. And understandably so since this place is no joke and it’s really easy to get hurt on such steep and unforgiving terrain. But the next day she was back to her usual cheerful self. A few hours after she fell I hooked my gator on a root and my foot came out of the shoe and I face planted on a slight downslope. Managed not to smash up my face but did get a few scratches. If it had been a steep section I would have been seriously hurt. This is just the first day.

Another element of potential danger are the water crossings. Some are fairly small and can be rock hopped. Others are too wide and you have to ford them. This takes time to accomplish because sometimes the water is knee deep and the rocks on the bottom are very slick.

Overall the terrain is significantly more difficult than anything else that we’ve hiked so far. Which means shorter mileage days.

IMG_5333.jpeg

IMG_5342.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpeg

IMG_5348.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg

IMG_5350.jpeg

IMG_5353.jpeg

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_5338.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 124 8/18 14.1 miles

Wilson Valley Lean-to to West Chairback Pond

On the second day of the 100 mile it started to get steeper and rockier. Sunshine was back to her happy place and was speeding along. I was trying to keep up.

Started having some trouble with regulating my body temperature. I tend to get really hot on long climbs to the point I need to stop and cool off. Often I am breathing very hard as well. It takes a few minutes for my temp to come down then I get cold. When it happened in VA and PA it was in the 90s and some what manageable. But with temperatures 20-25 degrees colder and rainy it’s a different story. This time I could not get my breathing to slow down and I started to shiver uncontrollably. It was 74 degrees and I was freezing. I was scared as was Sunshine.

We made it to the campsite and I got my tent pitched and climbed inside. I kept falling asleep and Sunshine kept waking me up so I would eat something. It rained a little that night but I slept well.

IMG_5365.jpeg

IMG_5366.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

IMG_5373.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

IMG_5389.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 125 8/19 11.6 miles

West Chairback Pond to Carl Newhall Lean-to

Unfortunately I did not have a base layer to hike in. My fleece jacket is usually too hot and a rain jacket is all I had over my t-shirt. This combined with cool rain made things quite challenging.

IMG_5392.jpeg

IMG_5394.jpeg

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5398.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

IMG_5403.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 126 8/20 10.8 miles

Carl Newhall Lean-to to East Branch Lean-to

We had a schedule to keep with the hostel that would be delivering our food drop at the halfway point. We were to text when on top of White Cap Mountain where we could get signal. Sunshine and I had discussed my body temperature issues with the continuing colder temperatures and rain. I decided that it would not be wise to continue with the 100 mile wilderness and told Sunshine to text them that that I would ride back to the hostel with the shuttle driver. It wasn’t an easy decision to make. I might be missing my opportunity to summit Katahdin while in Maine and leaving Sunshine kinda sucks. But getting hypothermia and dying would probably slow my pace quite a bit moar.

IMG_5405.jpeg

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5412.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 127 8/21 11.8 miles

East Branch Lean-to to Jo-Mary Road

The cold rain and my lowered morale made me realize that I was making the right decision to not continue for another five days. We stopped for lunch at a shelter, or lean-to as they’re called in Maine, which had a waterfall and swimming hole in front of it. This place is incredibly beautiful.

Made it to Jo-Mary Road an hour early and waited in the rain for our driver. Sunshine got her food drop and I gave her my toilet paper and wipes to give to a couple of section hikers who we had been camping with. They had run out halfway and were not using a food drop.

Not going to lie, it was hard to say goodbye (for now) to Sunshine. She is an amazing person, a good friend and solid hiker. I will miss her.

Got back to Shaw’s in Monson where I will figure out what to do next. Should probably see a doctor.

IMG_5415.jpeg

IMG_5416.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg

IMG_5418.jpeg

IMG_5420.jpeg

IMG_5419.jpeg

IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg

IMG_5426.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
In case anyone was wondering:

Trail mileage so far.

Springer Mountain, GA to Delaware Water Gap, PA 1297.4 miles

Maine route 15 to Jo-Mary Road 58.7 miles

Total 1356.1 miles

Total remaining 841.3 miles

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Good decision mate! Dying would indeed be suboptimal, for you and us alike.

Plus you can always go back and do it again. Can't if you dead.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Ultimate gear piece

I'd pair it with an rei sahara hoodie.
Senchi is incredibly warm but also venty. I can't explain the science but this material is real groovy stuff. It's also super light. Plays good with the sweating. I'm not sure which weight I have, I'd go lighter because layers help. On another note I love a puffy vest like a patagoochi one for temp regulating rather than a sleeve jacket.

Chrome industries has a great wool hoodie, I am split with wool these days but the lanolin does wonders with wet. I don't think you're cold enough for wool YET wool does play well with heat.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Ultimate gear piece

I'd pair it with an rei sahara hoodie.
Senchi is incredibly warm but also venty. I can't explain the science but this material is real groovy stuff. It's also super light. Plays good with the sweating. I'm not sure which weight I have, I'd go lighter because layers help. On another note I love a puffy vest like a patagoochi one for temp regulating rather than a sleeve jacket.

Chrome industries has a great wool hoodie, I am split with wool these days but the lanolin does wonders with wet. I don't think you're cold enough for wool YET wool does play well with heat.
Wow, seriously ultralight kit. How’s the durability ? I have an Arcteryx Delta jacket that’s made from Polartec 100. 9oz I think. But it’s got to be cold to hike in it.

I might try a marino wool base layer since wool will retain heat when wet. I’ve been wearing wool socks for decades.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Day 126 8/20 10.8 miles

Carl Newhall Lean-to to East Branch Lean-to

We had a schedule to keep with the hostel that would be delivering our food drop at the halfway point. We were to text when on top of White Cap Mountain where we could get signal. Sunshine and I had discussed my body temperature issues with the continuing colder temperatures and rain. I decided that it would not be wise to continue with the 100 mile wilderness and told Sunshine to text them that that I would ride back to the hostel with the shuttle driver. It wasn’t an easy decision to make. I might be missing my opportunity to summit Katahdin while in Maine and leaving Sunshine kinda sucks. But getting hypothermia and dying would probably slow my pace quite a bit moar.

View attachment 217219

View attachment 217220

View attachment 217221

View attachment 217222
man, so awesome. that terrain looks very similar to Mt Marcy, where I was with my boy last week. it seems to have been an unusually wet year, it's like we were hiking up (and down) creeks the whole time.

On the issue of temperature regulation: definitely give a merino shirt a try. I spent three days in my merino t-shirt, and it is the first time I actually noticed the much-vaunted properties of the stuff. it didn't stink, and most importantly, I was good in cold temps (must have been around 54° at the summit, all the way to the low 70s in camp and on the way up). it might make a difference for you...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Update:

I got off trail and flew home for a bit to see a doctor and take care of some other domestic stuff.

Went to my Primary Care office yesterday for my body temp regulation while hiking issue and to get my foot checked out. The NP thought it might be a Thyroid problem but results say normal and I’m unsurprisingly pre-diabetic with a high A1c. B12 is low enough they recommend a shot once a month. Eeew…needles.

The NP had no idea what was going on with the deep blood blister like thing on the ball of my foot. It feels like I’m stepping on a pepper corn. Been that way since the sharp rocks in PA. Waiting for a referral to a podiatrist. But who knows how long that will take.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
if you have contact with Sunshine can you let us know her progress, please? I am sorry to hear about your situation. Keep us posted. Still, plenty of good weather left.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Update:

I got off trail and flew home for a bit to see a doctor and take care of some other domestic stuff.

Went to my Primary Care office yesterday for my body temp regulation while hiking issue and to get my foot checked out. The NP thought it might be a Thyroid problem but results say normal and I’m unsurprisingly pre-diabetic with a high A1c. B12 is low enough they recommend a shot once a month. Eeew…needles.

The NP had no idea what was going on with the deep blood blister like thing on the ball of my foot. It feels like I’m stepping on a pepper corn. Been that way since the sharp rocks in PA. Waiting for a referral to a podiatrist. But who knows how long that will take.
I know the goal is to finish, but jesus fuck dude. You hiked 1300+ miles this summer. . . best I can say is I went to a few 6 year old birthday parties.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I know the goal is to finish, but jesus fuck dude. You hiked 1300+ miles this summer. . . best I can say is I went to a few 6 year old birthday parties.
Thanks man. Everyone keeps telling me I should be proud of what I’ve done, especially with all the extra hurdles in my way. It’s not that I’m not proud, I just have this uncontrollable urge to keep going. And nothing is going to quell that desire except for getting back on trail.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Do you use custom orthotics like Superfeet?

A ski/boot fitter in Winter Park told me years ago the first step when buying new shoes is to replace the crappy insert with an after market one.

With stupid high arches and small feet, I am thinking about "investing" in a pair of cycling inserts from these guys:

YMMV...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Do you use custom orthotics like Superfeet?

A ski/boot fitter in Winter Park told me years ago the first step when buying new shoes is to replace the crappy insert with an after market one.

With stupid high arches and small feet, I am thinking about "investing" in a pair of cycling inserts from these guys:

YMMV...
Nah, I just use the insoles the Topos come with. I have leather hard dawg paws and it feels like I have a pepper corn between the skin and the callous. Tried to get a needle in there to drain it but the needle started to bend. Hopefully it’s not a cyst that has to be surgically removed. Maybe some deep scraping and digging with the appropriate tools will do the trick.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Nah, I just use the insoles the Topos come with. I have leather hard dawg paws and it feels like I have a pepper corn between the skin and the callous. Tried to get a needle in there to drain it but the needle started to bend. Hopefully it’s not a cyst that has to be surgically removed. Maybe some deep scraping and digging with the appropriate tools will do the trick.
Bigger hammer or bigger needle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks man. Everyone keeps telling me I should be proud of what I’ve done, especially with all the extra hurdles in my way. It’s not that I’m not proud, I just have this uncontrollable urge to keep going. And nothing is going to quell that desire except for getting back on trail.
you should definitely be proud of how far you made it, but I certainly get that you had a very specific objective in mind and that you won't feel satisfied until it's met.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
you should definitely be proud of how far you made it, but I certainly get that you had a very specific objective in mind and that you won't feel satisfied until it's met.
To be perfectly honest, I’m gutted that I won’t be able to finish this year. But if I can hike from Delaware Water Gap North through NJ, NY, CT, MA, and possibly VT then that would give me 300-450 moar miles. Leaving NH and ME except for half of the 100 mile wilderness.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
ftw the senchi hoodie catches easy on brush, the snags I have gotten aren't deal breakers for utility. Surely a quick needle and thread will mend it if it tore. I like the loft it does under a raincoat where wool doesn't have so much. If carrying both (usually on my ul bikepack setup not an option) I'd have a wool hoodie to go with it. **** Holy Sh t moment just happened. Appalachian Gear Company is out of business! Was going to rec their alpaca hoodie. Fek***

you've put some good hiking in. Great run! If you fly back to NJ to pick up where you left off, I can hook up a ride from newark to the gap anytime you want.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Foot update:

Was able to get an appointment with a podiatrist who said the spot in question was a clogged sweat gland. He cut out the kernel and sent me on my way. No longer feels like I have something embedded in the ball of my foot. Tiny cut should heal fine.