Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 52 6/7 13.1 miles

Mount Rogers Visitor Center to Davis Hollow Campsite

The Partnership Shelter where I got off is behind the Visitor Center which has a free landline to call shuttles and order pizza.

We caught the free bus from Marion to the Visitor Center and were back on trail around 9:00. An easy day with no rain. Got to visit the famous one room school house that had some trail magic in the form of snacks. Later the trail came to a road crossing with a convenience store across the street. So cool to have a cold root beer and more snacks while hiking.

IMG_4093.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4109.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 53 6/8 14.1 miles

Davis Hollow Campsite to Lynn Camp Creek

Another fairly easy day without rain. Our friend Marlboro got back on trail and caught up to us and we all camped together. As usual he kept a good fire going for us to relax by.

IMG_4118.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg

IMG_4127.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

IMG_4133.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just north of where you currently are is a tiny speck of a town called Abbs Valley, near Pocahontas. That's where my great grandfather on my dad's side lived. He was a coal miner and subsistence farmer. His farmhouse is still in the family.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 54 6/9 15.5 miles

Lynn Camp Creek to unnamed campsite mile 577.4

Got caught in a couple rain showers. Not terrible but just enough to be annoying.
Apparently VA is not totally mellow because there were definitely some challenging climbs. And the rocks on top of the ridge line were obnoxiously difficult to walk on. Lots of tripping, stubbing toes and loud cursing.

Several of the water sources had dried up leaving us with long stretches of little water in our bottles. Fortunately some trail angels had left a cache of several gallon jugs of water at a couple of road crossings.

We were planning on a 19 mile day but I found a campsite at 7:07 pm and the three of us decided to just stay there for the night despite not having enough water. The next shelter would have put us in there after dark. A fourth friend joined later.

The next morning we hiked 3.5 miles to the next shelter only to discover that the water source, a “gushing brook” was bone dry. Fortunately, however there was a creek a short distance away.

IMG_4136.jpeg

IMG_4137.jpeg

IMG_4142.jpeg

IMG_4144.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

IMG_4145.jpeg

IMG_4146.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 55 6/10 14.7 miles

Unnamed campsite to Bland VA

No rain, a few climbs and got picked up and taken to a hostel for the night. Resupply was pretty dismal in town and the food served at the hostel was just for the beef eaters. Shit out of luck if you hiked all day, are starving and just so happen not to eat the moo cow. None for you! Won’t name the hostel because they seem like well intending people but I’d never come here again. Totally sucks having to go to bed hungry.

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 56 6/11 13.6 miles

Bland, VA to unnamed campsite at mile 605.7

Felt tired, like I was dragging two lead filled legs uphill. Just couldn’t keep any real pace to speak of and fell quite short of the 16 mile goal. And wound up camping by myself.

The water situation is getting pretty dire. We’re seeing 80-90% of creeks and springs completely dry. Occasionally we’ll come across some water caches left by trail angels.

Was able to find enough water to camp and settled in for the night at a tiny spot next to the trail. Not ideal but since it was the only option I was all about it. After eating and finishing my chores I texted with our friend who got off trail temporarily to take her son hiking on the AT north of where we are now. Was nice to have someone to talk to since I was camping alone for the first time since day two. Got a good night’s sleep.

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4172.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 57 6/12 20.1 miles

Unnamed campsite to Wood’s Hole Hostel

There was even less water than the day before but there was one stream that had great flow and was really cold. We did the barefoot dunk for about 30 seconds at a time. Bone chilling cold makes your feet kind of numb for a while. So good.

Camping options were about as abundant as water so I wound up doing another Twenty to get to a hostel that offered camping for $17. At least they would have water. Wasn’t planning on eating dinner there but was informed by a hiker that they were all vegetarians so I jumped at the chance to have some vegetables cooked by people who actually love vegetables. Got a full belly of delicious Mexican Lasagna, fresh baked bread and salad literally picked in front of the main house.

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4181.jpeg

IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

IMG_4198.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 58 6/13 11.5 miles

Wood’s Hole Hostel to Angel’s Rest Hiker Haven

Took it easy since we were planning on taking a zero in Pearisburg. Enjoyed several long breaks with our friends who we’ve been camping with for a couple of weeks or so, High Five and Flamethrower. There was no water for the entire section.

Mexican joint is walking distance from the hostel. Nom, nom, nom…

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

IMG_4204.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4214.jpeg

Last edited:

Homer

Chimp
Apr 22, 2024
Hey Angry! Finally catching up on the thread, been busy ‍. So proud to see you progressing through adversity! Can't believe you're past mile 600! Seems just the other day we were hangin in Gatlinburg. Keep truckin brother, you'll be hitting escape velocity soon enough! I suppose I'm about to start the NC MST soon. don't know how far I'll go. wish you'd be near Winston when I pass by but know you're doing greater things! take care man

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Hey Angry! Finally catching up on the thread, been busy ‍. So proud to see you progressing through adversity! Can't believe you're past mile 600! Seems just the other day we were hangin in Gatlinburg. Keep truckin brother, you'll be hitting escape velocity soon enough! I suppose I'm about to start the NC MST soon. don't know how far I'll go. wish you'd be near Winston when I pass by but know you're doing greater things! take care man
Thanks brother. Yeah mileage is definitely increasing. My new shoes are two weeks old and already have 200 miles.

MST…well Hell Yeah. When you get to Hanging Rock State Park you’ll be on my old training ground. Lots of rawks. Good luck and have a blast.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 59 6/14 0 miles

Zero in Pearisburg

Had a busy as usual zero running around getting things done but ate a ton of good food. We head out tomorrow morning.

It’s kind of a weird feeling because I always get a little nervous about leaving town with a heavy pack full of food. Something about transitioning from civilized human back to forest creature. Even a little more anxious since we are going to have to go very long stretches without water. That means even heavier packs. But despite all this I feel somewhat relaxed. Most of my gear and theft issues have been resolved and I’m enjoying the hike a little moar I suppose.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 60 6/15 8.6 miles

Angel’s Rest Hostel to Unnamed Campsite mile 645.9

Angel’s Rest was a very relaxing zero. Every hostel has different flavor. In this case, the private rooms were located in a converted trailer. Totally looks like an episode of Breaking Bad was filmed there. But the inside was very cool. The living room and kitchen were used as common areas and looked pretty much like any other home. My room, however was covered in boards and warm tones. Very cozy little spot for two nights.

With the scarcity of reliable water sources I decided to ship my chair home so I can carry more water. My friends and I stayed together until camp. We had a lazy day since we started late. Took lots of breaks and had an enjoyable day. A section hiker, Photon, joined us for the evening.

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

IMG_4251.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 61 6/16 20.2 miles

Unnamed Campsite to Unnamed Campsite mile 666.1

Did another Twenty. My friends fell back a bit and I kept going. Wasn’t able to contact them because cel coverage was poor. My shoulders are no longer hurting like they did with the old pack and now I only take one or two breaks in the morning. Was nothing to get 10 miles in before lunch. Photon later made it into camp but Daytona and Flamethrower didn’t show up.

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4272.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 62 6/17 15 miles

Unnamed Campsite mile 666.1 to Unnamed Campsite mile 681

Was trying to do 22 miles but would have gotten there a little bit before dark. Which is not ideal. Been getting up at 5:00 and on trail before 6:30 to make miles before the heat sets in. Around 5:30 I passed a nice looking campsite that wasn’t listed on the app, and then another shortly afterwards. I had already gotten enough water to camp if necessary even though I was still 7 miles from the shelter and the next reliable water source. That’s when I started hearing thunder. Dropped my pack, pitched the tent and got inside just as a thunderstorm hit. Not quite what I was aiming for but glad to not be hiking in it.

As I was sitting there I discovered that I have 2-3 small holes in the floor of my new tent. Totally patchable but gah…This place devours gear every bit as bad as DH.

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 63 6/18 17.2 miles

Unnamed Campsite to Pickle Branch Shelter

As per usual it was another scorching hot day. Took a short side trail to the Audie Murphy Memorial. He was the most decorated WWII vet who died near there in a plane crash. Took these pics mainly for @gonefirefightin and @jimmydean.

Camped for the night near a shelter that had a reliable water source.

IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4316.jpeg

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

IMG_4325.jpeg

IMG_4326.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
re cell reception if you have an iPhone 14 or later, if you update to iOS 18 beta then you get free access to Messages via satellite. :)

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 64 6/19 6.6 miles

Pickle Branch Shelter to Four Pines Hostel

Past the 700 mile marker, pretty cool. Then climbed up to one of the most famous attractions on the AT, Dragon’s Tooth. The trail up to it is technical as is the decent. But the rock scrambles on the way down are nuts. I’ve seen them on video and they looked challenging. I was not let down. Fall here and you will literally fall off a mountain. Made it all the way down to a switchback where I saw a nice little spot to take a break.

As I was sitting there I heard one of my trekking poles fall. Looked over just in time to watch the other one fall then both rolled right off a cliff and plummeted into oblivion. Way too high up, too steep and covered in dense brush to even consider retrieving them. As I was standing there in shock, Photon caught up to me. We walked down the trail and to the hostel together. There I was able to get a ride to the next town so I could get some temporary poles until I can replace mine. Photon headed home. Really cool dude, worked for NASA and had his own small plane that he flew home in. Made me think of @jdcamb.

Got a text from Flamethrower that she wasn’t handling the heat well and had decided to skip ahead to meet up with her friend. Can’t say I blame her. It’s been miserably hot. Then I ran into her here in town. She also told me that our other friend’s phone was dying so that would explain radio silence. She did confirm that he was indeed still on trail.

IMG_4333.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

IMG_4339.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4352.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4358.jpeg

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How much water do you usually carry for a long day where you're not sure about what might be available?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
How much water do you usually carry for a long day where you're not sure about what might be available?
I usually only carry one liter of water at a time because it’s so plentiful. No reason to carry extra weight when water is all around you.

Tomorrow I have 16.5 miles to camp with only one water source before then. So probably 10 miles before the first water stop. Will carry two full liters.

Picked up a third Smart bottle this afternoon. Hope I don’t have to carry all three full. Oof.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 65 6/20 0 miles

Zero in Daleville

I had already checked out of the hotel and was sitting in the lobby waiting on my shuttle driver who wasn’t going to be able to get me until around 10:00 or 11:00. A nervous feeling began to settle into my stomach about starting that late in the day with long stretches between water sources and the miserable heat. The scarcity of water in some of VA is no joke so I called my Dad for some trail wisdom. He concurred that it would be unwise to start that late. Then I talked to the shuttle driver and he said that he could pick me up at 6:00am the next morning. After my room was cleaned I checked back in again and went upstairs and promptly took a three hour nap. Finally a zero where I actually rested. Crazy talk.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 66 6/21 16.5 miles

Four Pines Hostel to Lambert’s Meadow Shelter

Bird Man from the hostel picked me up and had me at the trailhead by 6:20. Still a little dark in the woods.

There is a section of the AT in Virginia called the Triple Crown. It consists of Dragon’s Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. McAfee Knob, pronounced Mack-uh-fee, is one of the most famous and iconic spots on the trail. It has appeared in countless documentaries, books, magazines, online, etc. There were at least 80 people up there but I somehow managed to get someone to snap a pic that made it look like I was all alone. So cool.

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4409.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4415.jpeg

IMG_4418.jpeg