Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 67 6/22 9.4 miles

Lambert’s Meadow Shelter to Daleville

Was on trail at 6:02am and kept a fairly easy pace since I was heading back into town for the night. No need to push it in this heat. Still made it before noon. Promptly went to the Mexican joint where I ran into a bunch of other hikers. Then did my resupply.

IMG_4420.jpeg

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4429.jpeg

IMG_4433.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hey @AngryMetalsmith not sure if you posted it on your og thread. I'm interested in what your resupply for food consists of when you know you might be out for a few days. When you've got a few minutes to spare :)

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 68 6/23 15.2 miles

Daleville, VA to Unnamed Campsite 745.8

The AT has a weird way of reconnecting people on trail. Hikers tend to get spread out for various reasons. Groups who were together for several weeks will end up splintered into smaller ones. But as if there were a time portal somewhere, they tend to pop back up. My stay in Daleville revealed several long lost hikers. The grocery store was hopping with familiar faces. Including a guy I camped with, Zen, on the first day and hadn’t seen since, 730 miles later. Later that day I ran into Kiwi whom I had continued to bump into since the Smokies. We hiked for a while and found a nice campsite on a ridge line with a cool evening breeze. Solid end to the day.

IMG_4449.jpeg

IMG_4451.jpeg

IMG_4453.jpeg

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4455.jpeg

IMG_4456.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 69 6/24 18.3 miles

Unnamed Campsite to Unnamed Campsite 764.1

To keep the trend going I ran into Sunshine, a hiker I met back in Marion. We hiked together for the second half of the day. Fun person to talk to and fast. She went ahead as I was struggling with the heat and found a small site that we were able to fit our tents into. Had dinner then I talked her into getting up at 5:00am to beat the heat.

IMG_4458.jpeg

IMG_4464.jpeg

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4459.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 70 6/25 15.8 miles

Unnamed Campsite to Marble Springs

There’s a commonly heard saying on the AT that Virginia is flat. This is definitely not true. There are some very challenging climbs and a ridiculous amount of rocks. Add to that the scarcity of water and blistering heat and it makes for some hard days for sure.

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

IMG_4501.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4507.jpeg

IMG_4511.jpeg

IMG_4512.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 71 6/26 7.7 miles

Marble Springs to US 501 mile 787.6

Hiked all day the day before with Sunshine and she and I hiked together until we reached the pick up location where I went to a hostel in Glasgow. She continued on up the trail. I’m sure we will run into each other again. The trail is like that.

IMG_4515.jpeg

IMG_4516.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

image000003.jpeg

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's interesting to me that you guys seem to leapfrog around each other so often. I wouldn't have expected that - since everyone's going in one direction, I would have expected that it only takes a couple days of outpacing another group to be far enough ahead to never see them again. Guess the zero days and shorter tired/injury days bring you all together again over the long haul, but I still would have thought that the averages would balance out.

Really loving the photo journey.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 72 6/27 15.1 miles

US 501 to Reservoir Rd Campsite

As per usual I was slow moving with a fresh resupply for 4+ days.

Back in the beginning of June Honey Badger went home for a week and returned with her son, Dory and they were over 118 miles ahead of us where they had to get back on. They stayed around 100 miles or so ahead until she started sending me subtle texts that took me a day to figure out. Translated to, “will you please hurry the fuck up ? But don’t kill yourself.” I’m a bit dense when it comes to that sort of thing. Can see it happening to others as it’s pretty much in my job description as a maker of wedding bands. But I pretty much need to be hit over the head. That was around 6/16. Started cranking up the pace to catch them and I was determined to close that gap.

IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4536.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4555.jpeg

IMG_4556.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 73 6/28 20.7 miles

Reservoir Rd Campsite to Seeley-Woodworth Shelter

Got a great night’s sleep and was feeling strong and fast. Virginia doesn’t have the same amount of elevation gain as NC but there are still some very challenging climbs and very slow going rock sections. Where ever I could, I’d cruise on the easier terrain at 2.5-3 mph. Stopping occasionally to let my core temperature come down because of high heat and scarcity of water.

IMG_4560.jpeg

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4574.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 74 6/29 20.4 miles

Seeley-Woodworth Shelter to Maupin Field Shelter

Got seduced by long sections of smooth level terrain and committed to another Twenty only to be bogged down for the last six miles of steep rocks. Was a push to get to camp for sure. All the while I’m getting updates from Honey Badger as to their location. I was getting closer. By now I had closed a 100+ mile gap down to about 14 or less.

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_4577.jpeg

IMG_4580.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4579.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 75 6/30 16.0 miles

Maupin Field Shelter to Paul Wolfe Shelter

I was exhausted from doing two back to back Twenties and slept until probably 5:30 and got a little later than normal start. Honey Badger was also slow at getting out of camp. They were only 5 miles ahead of me and I was pushing the pace to catch them before noon. And I did.

Met her son, Dory, who has become a bit of a rockstar out here. He’s only twelve but can hike and is pretty funny. Everyone knows him and his mom. We all hiked and camped together that night. It was nice to slow down to a more normal pace and it was great to hike with Honey Badger again.

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4586.jpeg

IMG_4587.jpeg

IMG_4588.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
AMS is now going to need a supply of $20's to bribe the kid to go play in the creek for a while and a bigger tent.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 76 7/1 4.8 miles

Paul Wolfe Shelter to Rockfish Gap

Honey Badger, Dory and myself took our time but still managed to average 2 mph to the pickup location. Then we got dropped off at a hotel in Waynesboro.

Without a doubt two of the best days on trail ever ! I really do enjoy their company.

However they headed back home for the Fourth and I’m getting back on trail tomorrow. They should be able to get back on where I am in a few days. Already missing them.

IMG_4595.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Hey @AngryMetalsmith not sure if you posted it on your og thread. I'm interested in what your resupply for food consists of when you know you might be out for a few days. When you've got a few minutes to spare :)
I almost never eat a large breakfast before I hike. Instead I snack from the time I wake up until lunch. Nature’s Bakery Fig bars 3-4, then 2 Snickers and some turkey jerky and maybe a honey bun. Probably consuming 1300 calories before noon. Lunch lately has been smoked turkey sticks with string cheese on a flour tortilla with potato chips. Then I’ll have an another Snickers, other bars and something salty. Dinner is a Mountain House meal or similar cut in half with half a pack of Ramen noodles in each.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Day 76 7/1 4.8 miles

Paul Wolfe Shelter to Rockfish Gap

Honey Badger, Dory and myself took our time but still managed to average 2 mph to the pickup location. Then we got dropped off at a hotel in Waynesboro.

Without a doubt two of the best days on trail ever ! I really do enjoy their company.

However they headed back home for the Fourth and I’m getting back on trail tomorrow. They should be able to get back on where I am in a few days. Already missing them.

View attachment 214281
Now you are in my old neck of the woods.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 77 7/2 0 miles

Zero in Waynesboro

First zero in 11 days. You would think that a zero is restful and is in the sense that you are not hiking all day with a full pack. But zeros are usually spent running around getting stuff done like laundry, resupply, gear replacement, etc. We might hit several stores in one day. Sometimes we can walk every where around town. Often we catch a shuttle into town provided by the hostel or local drivers. Only once on this hike have I actually taken a nap, on a bed, and not had a ton of chores to complete. And I have had several zeros.

Just as Honey Badger and Dory were getting picked up Sunshine texted. She was right across the street from the hotel. This trail really does have its own vibe. I keep running into other hikers that I haven’t seen in a while. A guy from the first week on trail came strolling down the sidewalk at the hotel. Later we ran into Kiwi. So yeah @binary visions we keep leap frogging. And that is one of the coolest things about this trail.

Took a hot minute but I finally talked Sunshine into taking her third zero for this hike. We’ll get picked up in the morning and head back to the trail. Nice to have some company.

IMG_4606.jpeg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
heck yeah ol angry! made it to where the brp ends! huge achievement! humpback rocks/sherando lakes/raven's roost area just before that is good stuff! keep on truckin!!!

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 79 7/4 17.6 miles

Unnamed Campsite to Pinefield Hut

Sunshine and I got caught in a Thunderstorm about a mile from the Camp Store. We had been craving ice cream and sodas all morning but once we were soaked neither of us were still interested. Sunshine suggested we stop to at least get out of the rain. There is a breezeway between the store and the bathrooms with benches. We dropped our packs and went inside to get snacks. The two older guys were cleaning the facilities including the laundromat. Yeah that’s right it had coin opp washers and dryers. I told Sunshine to sneeze really loud if anyone was coming so I could change out of my wet clothes into town clothes and toss them in the dryer. Hardly anyone was around so I figured I could be quick enough. As soon as I got my underwear off I hear a sneeze. “Oh shit” I thought and hurriedly pulled up my town shorts. Then I hear one of the old dudes say in a thick Southern mountain man accent, “he’s changin his drawers”. Oops. But it was worth it to walk out of there in dry clothes. An opportunity I will probably never have again.

IMG_4629.jpeg

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

IMG_4648.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 80 7/5 11.6 miles

Pinefield Hut to Elkton, VA

Sunshine and I had an easy day into Elkton. We got picked up by the owner of Small Axe Farm and taken to their hostel. An old barn has been converted into a hiker house. Pretty cool place. They were a bit short handed so I helped out with dinner. Made lemon pepper chicken on the grill.

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4660.jpeg

IMG_4661.jpeg

IMG_4669.jpeg

IMG_4671.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg