Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
If she can do it AM can too
Keep on trucking Bro

At the age of 67, Emma Rowena Gatewood informed her adult children that she was going out for a walk. Little did they know that her “walk” would make history. Gatewood became the first woman to hike the entire 2,168-mile Appalachian Trail solo and in one season, starting from Mount Oglethorpe in Georgia and ending at Mount Katahdin in Maine.
Gatewood, often called "Grandma Gatewood," was a farmer’s wife from Ohio and a mother to 11 children, who in turn gave her 24 grandchildren. Her remarkable journey was not only a testament to her physical endurance but also to her indomitable spirit. She survived a marriage marked by severe domestic violence, escaping her abusive husband after many years. Her trek on the Appalachian Trail was a form of liberation and healing.
Gatewood's first thru-hike in 1955 was done with minimal gear: she wore Keds sneakers, carried a homemade denim bag, and relied on her knowledge of foraging and the kindness of strangers along the way. She completed the trail again in 1960 and section-hiked it in 1963, becoming an enduring symbol of perseverance and adventure.
Her journey brought significant attention to the Appalachian Trail and inspired future generations of hikers. Emma Gatewood's legacy lives on, not only in the hiking community but also as a powerful story of resilience and the enduring human spirit.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Keep on trucking Bro

At the age of 67, Emma Rowena Gatewood informed her adult children that she was going out for a walk. Little did they know that her “walk” would make history. Gatewood became the first woman to hike the entire 2,168-mile Appalachian Trail solo and in one season, starting from Mount Oglethorpe in Georgia and ending at Mount Katahdin in Maine.
Gatewood, often called "Grandma Gatewood," was a farmer’s wife from Ohio and a mother to 11 children, who in turn gave her 24 grandchildren. Her remarkable journey was not only a testament to her physical endurance but also to her indomitable spirit. She survived a marriage marked by severe domestic violence, escaping her abusive husband after many years. Her trek on the Appalachian Trail was a form of liberation and healing.
Gatewood's first thru-hike in 1955 was done with minimal gear: she wore Keds sneakers, carried a homemade denim bag, and relied on her knowledge of foraging and the kindness of strangers along the way. She completed the trail again in 1960 and section-hiked it in 1963, becoming an enduring symbol of perseverance and adventure.
Her journey brought significant attention to the Appalachian Trail and inspired future generations of hikers. Emma Gatewood's legacy lives on, not only in the hiking community but also as a powerful story of resilience and the enduring human spirit.

I’ve seen a pair of her shoes in a glass case at an outfitter in Damascus, VA.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Keep on trucking Bro

If I had that many children at home I too would wander off.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 81 7/6 9.1 miles

Elkton, VA to Bearfence Mountain Hut

Hiked with Sunshine and Stitch. None of us were very motivated with our packs full of food and water for four plus days. Stopped at a wayside in the park for sodas and ice cream. A daily trend we would continue through the park.

And for some reason I didn’t take any pictures that day.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 82 7/7 17.4 miles

Bearfence Mountain Hut to Little Stoney Man Cliffs

Sunshine had been talking about the Black Berry Ice Cream Pie at the Lodge for several days and Stitch, Wizard (a cool section hiker who hiked with us for a few days) and I were definitely interested. The pie was amazing and well worth the 12.99/slice cost of admission.

We decided to camp on a mountain top ridge line to catch sunset and sunrise. The camp spots were rocky and I had to get creative with pitching my tent in a small space.

IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4700.jpeg

IMG_4699.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

IMG_4711.jpeg

IMG_4716.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 84 7/9 17.7 miles

Unnamed Campsite to Front Royal, VA.

Sunshine, Stitch and myself were all ready for a town stop. We pushed the pace a bit since our packs were now lighter and we were motivated by the promise of showers and hot food.

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4761.jpeg

IMG_4764.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 85 7/10 0 miles

Zero in Front Royal

This is the last stop before Harper’s Ferry, WV, the unofficial half way point of the trail. Mile 1026.6. Only 54.2 miles away. A huge milestone for thru hikers as very few make it that far.

I’m a little off pace for a five month hike but feel confident that I will be able to continue increasing my daily mileage to make up the difference.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hea
Day 85 7/10 0 miles

Zero in Front Royal

This is the last stop before Harper’s Ferry, WV, the unofficial half way point of the trail. Mile 1026.6. Only 54.2 miles away. A huge milestone for thru hikers as very few make it that far.

I’m a little off pace for a five month hike but feel confident that I will be able to continue increasing my daily mileage to make up the difference.
dude you're killing it. only good things ahead. thought of you as we rolled outta dc this morning. route we took was down 95 instead of over to 81...keep on keepin on. you've got easier times coming up.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sunshine looks like she's never been disappointed in a piece of pie, or anything else, ever in her life.

You gonna throw a party when you hit 1000 miles, or do you wait for the halfway point?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 86 7/11 16.0 miles

0.3 past US 522 to Trailhead and Tenting Campsite

Sunshine’s parents were in the area and were planning on surprising her on trail when her phone died. It was perfect timing so they were able to get her a new phone and bring it to her at the hotel. The trail does indeed provide.

IMG_4794.jpeg

IMG_4799.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4804.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 87 7/12 17.1 miles

Trailhead and Tenting to Bear’s Den Hostel

It rained lightly off and on all morning but nothing to worry about. The temperature wasn’t nearly as hot as it has been but I still kept getting over heated requiring several short breaks to cool off. Sweat pours off my head on tough climbs.

Shortly before 2:00 we reached the sign and marker for 1000 miles. We stood there staring at it, in tears. No words could accurately convey the emotional charged moment we had there. We are now only 20.8 miles from Harper’s Ferry.

Sunshine’s parents met us at Bear’s Den Hostel where we arrived just in time to avoid the evening showers. They paid for my stay since I helped their daughter in a time of need. But really, it’s just what we do for each other out here. Pay it forward.

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4808.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg

IMG_4818.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

AT turtle

Chimp
Jun 14, 2023
Day 87 7/12 17.1 miles

Trailhead and Tenting to Bear’s Den Hostel

It rained lightly off and on all morning but nothing to worry about. The temperature wasn’t nearly as hot as it has been but I still kept getting over heated requiring several short breaks to cool off. Sweat pours off my head on tough climbs.

Shortly before 2:00 we reached the sign and marker for 1000 miles. We stood there staring at it, in tears. No words could accurately convey the emotional charged moment we had there. We are now only 20.8 miles from Harper’s Ferry.

Sunshine’s parents met us at Bear’s Den Hostel where we arrived just in time to avoid the evening showers. They paid for my stay since I helped their daughter in a time of need. But really, it’s just what we do for each other out here. Pay it forward.

View attachment 214874

View attachment 214875

View attachment 214876

View attachment 214877

View attachment 214878

View attachment 214879
Yay!!!! 1,000 miles. You guys rock

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 88 7/13 0 miles

Started having intense pain just above my groin immediately after eating pancakes at the hostel. Started getting cold and sweaty. The pain kept getting worse so I decided to seek medical attention. Fortunately Sunshine’s parents were staying at the hostel and drove me to the ER in Leesburg, VA. Their timing could not have been any better. So grateful for their help.

They did some bloodwork and gave me a CT scan which revealed a 2mm kidney stone. Was worried it might be an appendicitis. So no surgery is a good thing, right ? The Dr. Prescribed some non opioid anti-inflammatory drugs after I told her that I am an addict and that I would be dead in six months if I took them.

From there they drove me to Charles Town, WV so I could get a hotel with access to food nearby. Took the first round of meds at 6:00pm. Spent the next 12 hours vomiting. I need to be drinking water and eating but I couldn’t even keep 6 oz of water down. All the while I could feel the stone moving. To deal with the pain I started sleeping in a tub of hot water. When my groin and back would feel better then I’d get back in bed for a while.

About 18 hours later and I can keep food and water down. Still haven’t passed the stone.

One of the more difficult aspects of thru hiking is when your group splits up. We spend all day with each other for days and weeks at a time. This inevitably builds strong bonds. So while they are out hiking further up trail I’m by myself in a hotel wondering when I will catch them if ever.

There is not one single aspect of thru hiking that is easy. The trail is difficult, logistics can be challenging, water is scarce, it’s oppressively hot, etc. And then shit goes sideways. The one lesson that I can take from this is that an experience of such a magnitude requires outside help. It’s just not possible to do this all on my own. If I am going to be successful I will need to accept it. From my parents, trail friends, Ridemonkey, and trail angels. Without your encouragement, donations, advice and trail magic this would not have been possible.

Thank you all so much.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
that's rough man. i can't imagine. if you plan to carry on after it passes, what do you need to further that plan?
As soon as it passes the pack goes back on and I’m out the door. I have been off pace for a five month hike due to all the stuff that has happened prior to this event. Still on pace for six months and can probably make up some of the difference by crushing big miles through the Mid-Atlantic states. I have enough money to complete the hike in another 2.5 months. Going to be tight but I’m still going for it.

It would take my death to stop me !

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
As soon as it passes the pack goes back on and I’m out the door. I have been off pace for a five month hike due to all the stuff that has happened prior to this event. Still on pace for six months and can probably make up some of the difference by crushing big miles through the Mid-Atlantic states. I have enough money to complete the hike in another 2.5 months. Going to be tight but I’m still going for it.

It would take my death to stop me !
that would explain the big-mile days! I was wondering about that. when I was hiking the Annapurna circuit, I found I really liked the high-altitude short-mileage acclimatization hikes... it seemed so much more... civilized (even if I couldn't breathe!) But if you're trying to go the distance in a specific period of time, then it makes more sense.
Woo hoo, I passed the kidney stone !!
fuckin' eh! good on you, and go get the crew! as you said, the trail operates in mysterious ways...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 90 7/15 0 miles

Zero in Charles Town, WV

Passed the kidney stone and there was much rejoicing. Then arranged a shuttle back to the trail in the morning.

Did get to try Popeye’s Chicken while here and had falafel twice from a Mediterranean restaurant. McDonalds and a Blaze Pizza made an appearance. Definitely made up for not eating and vomiting for 12 hours.

AT turtle

Chimp
Jun 14, 2023
Day 90 7/15 0 miles

Zero in Charles Town, WV

Passed the kidney stone and there was much rejoicing. Then arranged a shuttle back to the trail in the morning.

Did get to try Popeye’s Chicken while here and had falafel twice from a Mediterranean restaurant. McDonalds and a Blaze Pizza made an appearance. Definitely made up for not eating and vomiting for 12 hours.
Damn so many road blocks. This means you gotta do this. You got this and worse case you can do a flip flop. Glad you are better. I hear those are crazy painful

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 91 7/16 11.4 miles

Bear’s Den Hostel to David Lesser Memorial Shelter

Got a shuttle from the hotel in Charles Town, WV back to the hostel where I was staying when I had to go to the ER. It was another hot day and I wasn’t feeling super strong so I took it easy. Stopped at the Blackburn Trail Center to check it out and possibly get some form of trail magic. There wasn’t another sole to be found. The caretaker was also gone but had left a cooler full of sodas and snacks. Enjoyed a root beer on the porch.

The shelter was pretty swank as far as shelters go. The Adirondack bench was choice for some evening relaxation. Had the place all to myself.

IMG_4860.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 92 7/17 15.9 miles

David Lesser Memorial Shelter to Ed Garvey Shelter

The second day back and I was still hiking alone when I reached Harper’s Ferry. Being the unofficial halfway point, (psychological halfway point, chronical halfway point) it’s a major milestone for an AT thru hiker. Like the 1000 mile mark, this too was an emotionally charged moment. Both for shear magnitude of what I have accomplished and the fact that my friends were not there to share it.

Very few hikers make it this far. I’ve seen many quit or just seem to disappear. Others have gotten off trail because of the heat and scarcity of water. Friends have skipped up trail to avoid hiking in such oppressive conditions. And the photo books kept by the ATC show only a few familiar faces who have passed through. Having your picture taken in front of the center is a long standing tradition.

Spent about 3.5 hours in Harper’s Ferry and enjoyed a hot lunch at a local restaurant and picked up a few things at the local outfitter. Got caught in a thunderstorm shortly after leaving town. Made it to the shelter and thought I was going to be there by myself when another thru hiker showed up. She took the loft and I was on the ground floor. Later that night a massive thunderstorm rolled in. Slept like a baby.

IMG_4881.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4892.jpeg

IMG_4891.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 93 7/18 18.3 miles

Ed Garvey Shelter to Annapolis Rocks Campsite

First not burning hot day in a long time. Made it to a large campsite that had multiple tent sites with several campers including a group of Boy Scouts. Their voices in camp reminded me of being a kid in the woods again. Slept in my tent with both vestibule doors open and was greeted to the call of the Great Barred Owl waking up.

IMG_4903.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4906.jpeg

IMG_4907.jpeg

IMG_4909.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4925.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 94 7/19 16 miles

Annapolis Rocks Campsite to Pen Mar Park

The trail is now starting to become what I recently heard described as Urban Hiking. Now hearing more highway traffic and other sounds of “civilization”. A contrast from the quiet serenity of wilderness areas we leave behind was not unnoticed. This will continue for a few more states and several more weeks of blistering heat before we get back into the mountains again. But there are trail side delis to get a hoagie to ease the pain.

Some sections of Maryland have rock piles that are no joke. They’re like what every sadistic World Cup DH track builder from the early 2000s would lose their minds over. Huge boulders looming over beach ball sized rocks with just enough small rocks to step on. Not much dirt either so foot placement is critical. One glorious opportunity to break an ankle after another. Go fast through here ? Nope.

IMG_4926.jpeg

IMG_4927.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4929.jpeg

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Halfway! Amazing.

Sorry your trail friends weren't there to share it with but you have a virtual monkey friend raising a glass to you.

Cold trail side root beer is nothing to scoff at.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Halfway! Amazing.

Sorry your trail friends weren't there to share it with but you have a virtual monkey friend raising a glass to you.

Cold trail side root beer is nothing to scoff at.
Thanks man.

This has been multiple journeys all intertwined into a once in a lifetime epic experience. The trail continues to amaze not only in where my feet land with each step but the way it connects and reconnects hikers up the trail. I’m taking another zero, even though I’m getting behind schedule, to rest and wait for Honey Badger and Dory to shuttle up to where I am.

Earlier today I was having that feeling of dread and impending loneliness as I was getting all my town chores done in preparation for a Sunday morning departure. But now I’m not only relieved to have some company but over joyed that it’s two of my favorite people to wander around in the woods with. This trail has it’s own very unique way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Day 94 7/19 16 miles

Annapolis Rocks Campsite to Pen Mar Park

The trail is now starting to become what I recently heard described as Urban Hiking. Now hearing more highway traffic and other sounds of “civilization”. A contrast from the quiet serenity of wilderness areas we leave behind was not unnoticed. This will continue for a few more states and several more weeks of blistering heat before we get back into the mountains again. But there are trail side delis to get a hoagie to ease the pain.

Some sections of Maryland have rock piles that are no joke. They’re like what every sadistic World Cup DH track builder from the early 2000s would lose their minds over. Huge boulders looming over beach ball sized rocks with just enough small rocks to step on. Not much dirt either so foot placement is critical. One glorious opportunity to break an ankle after another. Go fast through here ? Nope.

View attachment 215346

View attachment 215347

View attachment 215348

View attachment 215349

View attachment 215350
Those are referred to as "east coast rox"